mic.jpg

kit_top_view.jpg

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Review Part 2:

The Differences from Version 1:

• Version 2 of the unit is no longer programmable, every button controls a single piece of equipment (no more grouping/memory functions)
  • The memory buttons have been replaced with a "Progressive" or "Pursuit" style functionality
  • Progressive/Pursuit buttons mimic a slide switch: pushing button 3 will activate all 3 buttons, pushing it again will shut them all off
  • There are now 2 momentary buttons on the keypad
  • There are 3 momentary siren buttons/tones and 3 latching siren tones
  • Version 2 no longer has a volume rocker or a Hi-Lo tone
  • Momentary siren tones include Pierce, Horn, and what can be described as the "wail" tone at the "top of the ramp" (high toned horn)
  • Spade style connectors have been replaced with a screw-on terminal block
  • The backlight for all small buttons is now amber as opposed to green for the siren functions (large buttons are still red)
  • The power slide switch is slightly raised compared to version 1

New Features/Highlights:
    Buttons are slightly raised to prevent them from becoming caught in the keypad frame
  • Keypad face now has a soft rubberized feel to it
  • The addition of a second momentary button which is located in the second row
  • The addition of a high-toned horn (momentary)
  • The addition of a momentary Piercer button
  • New terminal block connections
  • Progressive (Pursuit) style buttons that mimic a slide switch (30amps each)
  • Two (100watt?) siren output terminals
  • Powering off the unit and back on will no longer activate functions
  • Momentary switches can be changed to "negative switching" via a slide switch inside the unit.

Frequently Asked Questions:

• Q: Will this keypad work with the version 1 unit?

A: No, either the keypad or the brain will be damaged if attempted

• Q: Is the brain the same size?

A: No, the brain is larger than the previous version

• Q: What is included?

A: The brain, keypad (w/tall & short bail brackets?), data cable (RJ45) for keypad (w/extension), mic (w/clip), fuses, & mounting screws

• Q: Does it include the siren speaker?

A: No, the siren speaker is sold separately

• Q: Are the legends any different?

A: No, they are exactly the same as the ones distributed with the old units (suggestions have been made for additional legends)

• Q: Will this keypad fit into console brackets made for the old units?

A: Yes, the dimensions and shape of the keypad are the same

• Q: What are the output ratings?

A: 10amps for the 10 normal outputs and 30amps for the 3 Progressive/Pursuit outputs

• Q: Does this unit have a "Manual" siren function?

A: No, but the suggestion was made to add one

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
This post is not really related to the review. I am waiting to talk to Alex at Feniex about what the options, if any, are supposed to be and how to access them. Due to the fact that is unreleased, there is no documentation for it.

It would appear that the unit is not programmable as the previous unit was. The memory buttons are progressive (pursuit mode) and they control their own outputs instead of controlling groups of buttons like the predecessor. Personally, I like the functionality of the first version, but I will still provide a fair and unbiased review of this unit. As you can see below, the unit looks almost identical to the first unit, although there are some differences on the "brain".

More info will be added to the original posts in this thread to fill out the official review content.

skleppy

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I've got the first version of the lightbar controller only. While it sounds like this is an improvement, its also a step back. They've made some nice physical changes (except for the power switch, I like it recessed but thats me) and some functionality changes but some changes were not needed. The non programmable memory switches or pursuit switches if you will, I like that about mine personally. The push on/push off feature is one that I wish I had currently instead of having to wait to turn my equipment off. There's no such thing as a quick flick of the lights anymore. Other than that, this sounds like a nice piece of kit.

Is it possible that they could alter the memory buttons through programming to allow the option of grouping with the pursuit buttons? Otherwise there's a lot of buttons there that wouldn't even get used on the average patrol vehicle. Thinking about this, it almost seems like they tried to blend a Mastercom and Cencom together to get thier Olympian. I'm saying this without having tried it but having used a Mastercom, Cencom and Olympain currently in use.

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
M1, M2, M3 now being progressive is a huge mistake - someone please tell them this before its released!!!

If someone wants it to act in progressive mode, programmable buttons can do that - it wont work the other way and programmable was the nice feature!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.