Grovers sound like crap

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
The Grovers on my truck have always sounded horrible. It gets worse than this, sometimes they sounds like a goose hitting puberty.

I took the video with the engine off so you can actually hear them, the air pressure was normal and having the truck running doesn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Dafagrams are too tight. I had great success at E-One with one turn past initial contact of horn base to sound unit diaphragm, then turn the complete horn and diaphragm towards the stanchion to lock it there with care being taken not to dislodge the fragile paper gasket from it's nest in stanchion. A little north/south of this setting seems to be their sweet spot. Do one at a time, maybe with a blow gun plumbed to a horn in place of the vehicle's air system. The above applies to model 1510's (24") and the shorter version @ 18" whatever number they were. Some Grovers do not adjust. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Our freightshaker does that from time to time. Last time I drained all tanks, refilled, then rotated the round diaphragm part of the horn blowing after each slight turn. At one point I had to physically unscrew the diaphragm part and readjust the spring. I know this is all vague instruction you just have to play with them, adjusting them little by little. Good luck because nothing sucks worse than a wimpy grover...

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I think that Dennis is on the right track there. I don't think I've ever heard anyone gripe about a Grover horn before. I can't link on to your demo from this computer. Is it a Stuttertone? Those things move people better than some sirens I've seen.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Any and all off-sounds on a Grover can be traced to the diaphragm. Holes, too tight, too loose... rust... disassemble the back and examine the interior.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
We had the same issue with a brand new E-One. We complained about it, the mechanics fixed it in about 5 min. Get a buddy to help you and adjust it until it shatters windows! :thumbsup:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Here's a cute story about the Grovers. Back in the mid-80s a crew from NBC's Today Show showed up at the B&M siren plant in Southern California. At that time the original owner, Dick Miles, was still running things. He took the camera crew on a tour of the plant, particularly showing them how a badly damaged siren could be restored like new. Kevin O'Connell, B&M's current owner does the same thing on some of his promotional tours. Anyway after the tour of the siren plant and a short interview, Miles took the NBC crew across the street to the Grover plant. Standing outside the plant, the NBC crew attempted to interview someone from Grover. I guess the interview went well, but who knows? All you could hear was a lot of big ol' loud airhorns blasting in the background. Earplugs, anyone? :p

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Skip Goulet said:
Here's a cute story about the Grovers. Back in the mid-80s a crew from NBC's Today Show showed up at the B&M siren plant in Southern California. At that time the original owner, Dick Miles, was still running things. He took the camera crew on a tour of the plant, particularly showing them how a badly damaged siren could be restored like new. Kevin O'Connell, B&M's current owner does the same thing on some of his promotional tours. Anyway after the tour of the siren plant and a short interview, Miles took the NBC crew across the street to the Grover plant. Standing outside the plant, the NBC crew attempted to interview someone from Grover. I guess the interview went well, but who knows? All you could hear was a lot of big ol' loud airhorns blasting in the background. Earplugs, anyone? :p

Skip, I will just take this moment to tell you how much I love your stories.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
lotsofbars said:
Skip, I will just take this moment to tell you how much I love your stories.

Gracias! After nearly 53 yrs in EMS, I do have a few stories to tell. The publishers of one of the EMS magazines wanted to write a book, which was fine with me. My college degrees are in Journalism and Telecommunications, so there's no problem there. And my writing style is much like the way I talk to people. And if you haven't noticed, I've never met a stranger. But once I started on the manuscript and was contact by the publishers, I had to stop. Just the initial costs would've been prohibitive; and on my social security, that was too much. But it doesn't stop me from yacking here y'know! :yes:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Flashguy said:
Me too, he had me at Dick Miles. :haha:

Thanks to you, too. Dick Miles was one neat guy. While I never got to meet him in person, as I have Kevin O'Connell, he was always a delight to talk to when I needed parts for the B&M that I used on my ambulances in Lubbock. My first-ever siren came from Dick which he gave to our scout group which was supposed to have put an emergency van together. That project never got off the ground and I was given the siren which was used at our high school football games until I graduated.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Skip Goulet said:
Nice! I noticed the twin foot buttons. You have a pair of Stuttertones?

Yes, the button on the left is the Q2B

alh6.googleusercontent.com__8B4ioG_vMWA_US1kt4gxpqI_AAAAAAAABOe0886594b5f39e7f743c62bc7d7261e0.jpg

The truck is a 1997 Simon Duplex/Saulsbury, the horns have NEVER sounded right ever... until today.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Sound much better however I hear that one is not stuttering and may be leaking air, usually at sound unit gasket. Spray there with soapy water and look after tooting. It's easy to pinch a gasket. Were these rebuilt by a tradesman or in house? You're 7/8ths there! I have an ear for these as I installed near a hundred of them at E-One.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Torpedo said:
Were these rebuilt by a tradesman or in house?

Both. We have a village mechanic who has worked at a number of apparatus shops on LI. He took them off the truck this morning, tuned them in the shop, and put them back on the truck. The truck itself has a small air leak somewhere that he has not been able to pinpoint yet.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
bfd740 said:
Yes, the button on the left is the Q2B

alh6.googleusercontent.com__8B4ioG_vMWA_US1kt4gxpqI_AAAAAAAABOe0886594b5f39e7f743c62bc7d7261e0.jpg

The truck is a 1997 Simon Duplex/Saulsbury, the horns have NEVER sounded right ever... until today.

That's nice. Where is the Q? I don't see it in that picture. Getting blind in my old age, I guess.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Skip Goulet said:
That's nice. Where is the Q? I don't see it in that picture. Getting blind in my old age, I guess.

In the front bumper on the driver's side next to the electric siren speaker.

127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.