HHS3200 unable to detect USB connection

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
My friend is having a problem with connecting to the HHS 3200 when he connects up the USB c connection and tries to transfer it says hardware not detected, He's used multiple cables and tried multiple connections on his laptop to the USBC connection on the HHS 3200 but it's not showing any thoughts or ideas cuz we've already checked out the laptop and the USB root hubs to make sure that they're all connecting, other devices show the connections to USB devices like keyboards and such but nothing connecting to the 3200.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Try what John said. Also, unplug all the power to the unit, and try it that way. Sometimes they won’t connect when hooked up to power.
@NoLimitSquads that is a really good point. I completely forgot I had done that previously too.

I was not extremely scientific the last time I had this problem and I tried both disconnecting everything and updating the USB drivers so I'm not 100% sure which thing fixed it. I will say that I had been having this problem off and on with the unit and the power cycling/ isolation seemed to work on a single episode basis, but the problem didn't completely go away until I updated the USB drivers. But I really should have done one fix at a time because now I don't know which thing did it.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I had him power cycle the HHS 3200 I also had him reboot his computer he had already updated the USB drivers and changed USB cables, on an oddball note since that j7 connector is supposed to have two red wires connected to it and there's only one is that an issue??

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Did he try to connect the USB when all power was disconnected from the HHS?
To clarify I am taking you to mean completely disconnecting the power from the vehicle and powering the unit via USB; not just power cycle it, correct? This is an important distinction that I may have muddied a bit with my reply.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
That's a new one to me How is the HHS supposed to get powered because USB does not provide enough power as far as I know to work the unit...
I contact with Whelen and also suggested that if he's unable to connect that it may be a problem with the HHS but if the unit was just recently programmed by someone from the company then it should still be able to work unless it messed up the USB.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That's a new one to me How is the HHS supposed to get powered because USB does not provide enough power as far as I know to work the unit...
I contact with Whelen and also suggested that if he's unable to connect that it may be a problem with the HHS but if the unit was just recently programmed by someone from the company then it should still be able to work unless it messed up the USB.
I believe USB will not activate the unit necessarily, but it will still read/write under USB control.

Reactions: NoLimitSquads

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
The HHS doesn’t need to be powered to be programmed. You can transfer and extract programs with the unit out of the vehicle

Reactions: Nolines

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I will tell that to my friend if he ever gets over here with his new police unit cause apparently when they programmed it they put the air horn in the wrong button and some other siren function on the air horn button, that was intelligent especially when it was whelen themselves that came and did the programming on his brand new unit with his brand new lights and everything.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
We have an update, apparently the USB cable that you use to program it can often be the problem because the USB cable that he was using was only working for charging not for data transfer. He changed cables to one that did work and he was able to access the HHS, kind of strange I thought all USB cables were the same but look out. Ones that you use for charging your phones and other devices cannot always transfer data so beware of third party USB cables.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
We have an update, apparently the USB cable that you use to program it can often be the problem because the USB cable that he was using was only working for charging not for data transfer. He changed cables to one that did work and he was able to access the HHS, kind of strange I thought all USB cables were the same but look out. Ones that you use for charging your phones and other devices cannot always transfer data so beware of third party USB cables.
Thats kinda funny. The USB cable is usually the first suggestion. On the FB groups when someone says that they cannot connect, people come out of the woodwork to suggest using a different cable. I never even thought to suggest that because I figured that is everyone’s first step.

Edit: I just re-read the original post, and you mentioned that he tried different cables. They were all “charge only” cables?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thats kinda funny. The USB cable is usually the first suggestion. On the FB groups when someone says that they cannot connect, people come out of the woodwork to suggest using a different cable. I never even thought to suggest that because I figured that is everyone’s first step.

Edit: I just re-read the original post, and you mentioned that he tried different cables. They were all “charge only” cables?

I guess trying "different cables" does not help if they aren't "different" and happen to be non data cables. I thought we had exhausted the cable being the issue....thanks for the update... It just goes to show that you can't assume trying multiples of a part rules that part out as the problem

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL

Apparently he was using one I forget what it was from I got to remember to ask that question again but yeah we tried every single USB port on his laptop he tried a different cable from the one that he was using for initially and they just didn't seem to want to data transfer... I really thought that all USB c cables were designed the same way unless it's something internally I mean we all know that some USB cables say oh they're for lightning or fast charging and they don't do what they're supposed to do to other USB connections or power supplies or what have you so apparently there is a distinction in those cables. I had thought about it because I had done technical support for computers and and internet companies even satellite internet and we always suggested changing cables and trying different ports so that was my first guesses otherwise tried different laptop cuz you know the USB port can burn out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.