How bad is Detroit right now? 95 arson fires in 72 hours.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Well once again Halloween was a nightmare. 95 arson fires in the last 72 hours and they're still getting them. But just how bad is Detroit?

DFD put extra engines, ladders, and rescue squads into service starting Tuesday, but were still unable to respond to all of their calls. 2 firefighters have been injured so far.

Some engines were left to respond to fully involved house fires by themselves. DFD also relied on ex-firefighter volunteer ride-a-longs to assist low staffed companies.

Anyone under the age of 17 has a curfew from 1800-0600 hours without a legal guardian. Anyone minor caught alone will be ticketed and held until the parents can come pick them up at which point, the parents will be ticketed for a Parental Responsibility violation.

It is illegal to pump gas into hand held containers (including gas cans) in the city of Detroit.

DPD doesn't have enough working equipment or officers to cover the city. They are relying on a program called Angel's Night, which encourages people to volunteer to patrol homes or blocks on their own and unarmed.

Not all of the DFD stations have power and have been operating without power for DAYS.

I am glad I chose to not work in D-Town!

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Dafuq? Seriously? I wouldn't walk around Detroit during the daytime on any given day without being heavily armed. On Devil's Night? An M1A2 would seem a reasonable level of armament. Patrolling your neighborhood unarmed just gives the hoodlums additional targets.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
tvsjr said:
Dafuq? Seriously? I wouldn't walk around Detroit during the daytime on any given day without being heavily armed. On Devil's Night? An M1A2 would seem a reasonable level of armament. Patrolling your neighborhood unarmed just gives the hoodlums additional targets.

Dead serious. The only thing the volunteers are allowed to do is drive around in their cars (some have amber lights) and turn their porch lights on. But they are only out there from 1800-0000 hrs. So it's kind of pointless only having them out there until midnight. Oh and if they're lucky, they get some signs to post! There was moderate success with this in previous years with volunteers into the thousands. This year, only 300.

[Broken External Image]:http://media2.wxyz.com//photo/2013/10/27/Angel

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
tvsjr said:

No thanks, this is what I would want:

SAW.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
August Arborists said:
No thanks, this is what I would want:

tvsjr said:

Yeah I would take the tank over any rifle/mg in Detroit.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
tvsjr said:
On Devil's Night? An M1A2 would seem a reasonable level of armament.

How about an AA12 full-auto shotgun with a mix of Dragon's Breath and steel string buck shells? Set the criminals on fire and rip steel balls and cable thru them at the same time...

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Umm... yeah guys, I was referring to an M1A2 Abrams. Not a Garand. A single rifle isn't going to get the job done...

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
DaveCN5 said:
... It is illegal to pump gas into hand held containers (including gas cans) in the city of Detroit. ...

Not all of the DFD stations have power and have been operating without power for DAYS.

So, you can't even get a can of gas for your generator? :hopeless:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
CrownVic97 said:
How about an AA12 full-auto shotgun with a mix of Dragon's Breath and steel string buck shells? Set the criminals on fire and rip steel balls and cable thru them at the same time...
Yes but with an AA12 you're stuck with (IIRC) eight rounds a magazine so you'll be reloading basically all the time, plus I wouldn't put it past them to wear body armor so how about a tripod (or truck) with one of these on top - body armor loses effectiveness with repeated hits, so empty a typical rifle magazine's worth of lead into the guy in about a second and you're done, with plenty to go before you have to reload.

aworld.guns.ru_userfiles_images_machine_mg69_m134_2.jpg

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
nerdly_dood said:
Yes but with an AA12 you're stuck with (IIRC) eight rounds a magazine so you'll be reloading basically all the time, plus I wouldn't put it past them to wear body armor so how about a tripod (or truck) with one of these on top - body armor loses effectiveness with repeated hits, so empty a typical rifle magazine's worth of lead into the guy in about a second and you're done, with plenty to go before you have to reload.

8 or 12 round stick mags, 20 or 30 round drum mags. If you're in CQC and empty a 30 round drum, you either can't shoot or you've seriously overestimated your badassery.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Just patrol like the Mexican army or Mexican Federal police do in big cities with crime....... with sheer absolute FORCE AND NUMBERS.

images-4.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-3.jpeg

images.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Irsh42 said:
I saw this today too. I hope its legit, because its a great way to show some brotherhood. Plus, its a kick ass t-shirt too.

The "contact us" for the Detroit Mutual Aid site matches the address and phone number for the National Firefighters Endowment organization (which I know nothing about either). Both sound like upstanding organizations. Searching for NFE pulls up a lot of positive hits.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.