How long?

How long do I make the wiring harness after it exits the base?

• 5 Feet

• 10 Feet

• 15 Feet

• 20 Feet

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I am making a new wiring harness for a good sized bar. It will most likely wind up on a class B truck one day. How long would you make the wiring extend from the base of the bar?

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
I voted 20. You can always make it shorter, but I like to wrap my excess up and leave it long in case the bar ever gets moved.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I also went with 20. You say your putting it in a class B truck. Typically you may need longer depending on the actual size of the truck and where it gets mounted.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Better to have it too long than not long enough.....innuendo implied, lol.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I voted 20 also, but like others have said, longer is better.
Having dealt with towing customers, the rollbacks need a much
longer cable.

WARNING: this question will have the "Jazz Dad" coming along
anytime now. You've been warned ;)

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Don't forget, the longer the wire, the heavier the gage you need.
Dang thank you for that. I should have thought of that, but it just didn't come to mind. I am gonna have to hit Home Depot and get a few spools of 12ga braided wire like they use on 110v.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
uhhh NO

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
dont use 110 wire on 12v projects...

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I'm a little confused now. Assuming the same gauge of stranded wire, is there really a difference between wire from Home Depot and wire from Autozone?

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
It is imperative you use the correct gauge wire for the job or you will have at worst a vehicle fire and at least equipment failure. You need to figure out the max amperage each wire in the harness will handle. Then determine the length of wire you will need. Go to http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/wiring-it-right-info-on-wiring-connections-splices-etc.25567. In this thread several posts down is a useful chart in selecting the proper gauge wire. Always better to use a heavier gauge wire than to minimize it. You will need to fuse and quite probably install a circuit breaker as well.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Thank you so much for that chart/info. I am gonna have to go thicker than I thought. Just so you guys don't think I'm a total hack, my first two projects used existing wiring harnesses so this wasn't an issue there. This third bar, however, came with none. But hey, $50 for a 70" Federal Jetstream project was something I couldn't pass up, wires or not. I am holding off on posting the project until I finish....hopefully next week.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Well with surgery coming up in 3 days, I probably wont get around to this project any time soon, but I bought my Class B truck for this project. I figured I'd share for those that like the old and unique.

My plan is to run good heavy wires to a watertight box on the frame which will contain a set of relays. From there the trigger wires will make their way to the front where the cab is hinged and then on up into the cab where my switches will be.

00B0B_6zWR1zRiXwb_1200x900.jpg 00X0X_jm64AVKmcsq_1200x900.jpg

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Hey Wolfie, would ya post some pics of the dang 70" jet stream already!!!
Lol

On a serious note, that is quite the endeavor to undertake ya got yourself there. Will the flatbed have a headache rack? Or is the bar going on the cab?...will the bed be functional or fixed? I'd recommend machine tool wire for this project. Keep us posted and good luck with your surgery.

Reactions: Wolfie

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Hey Wolfie, would ya post some pics of the dang 70" jet stream already!!!
Lol

On a serious note, that is quite the endeavor to undertake ya got yourself there. Will the flatbed have a headache rack? Or is the bar going on the cab?...will the bed be functional or fixed? I'd recommend machine tool wire for this project. Keep us posted and good luck with your surgery.
The plan is a fixed bed with a headache rack I will custom make. I don't want the light bar on the cab because if I break down and open my own hood my lights will be pointed at the street and moon. I am going to wing it for the ramp system. It is a good height I need to work up to, which means longer ramps that will need supports on the way up. They will probably be detachable and slide in next to the frame. I might just wait on the jetstream pics until it is mounted on the truck so I can post it properly. :) I'm playing with the idea of cutting a couple of 4" holes inside of the headlights and putting amber wig-wags in. With the bar mounted behind a tall extended cab like that, I want to be sure I am showing some warning lights you can see from directly in front.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
[QUOTE="Wolfie, post: 601937, memberView attachment 160449[/QUOTE]

We had that exact cab on a pierce pumper and it had a pair of "school bus lights" mounted inboard of the headlights. Just another idea for ya. Don't be a tease with the bar pics! Hahaha
How many rotators?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.