How to tell the difference between FS Twinsonic lenses and Code 3 SD lenses

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
How to tell the difference between FS Twinsonic lenses and Code 3 SD lenses, its easy! :) They look extremely similar but are each quite different. The SD domes have two lips and the twinsonics only have one lip on the outter side. I have seen code 3 SD domes modified (mutilated) to fit Twinsonics.

DSCN6514.JPG

DSCN6515.JPG

DSCN6516.JPG

DSCN6517.JPG

DSCN6518.JPG

DSCN6519.JPG

DSCN6513.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Thanks Guys! :) I have just been asked this question a few times so I figured it was time to educate!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
SD domes have just a tiny bit more curvature to their vertical surfaces than TwinSonic domes. It's not much, I measured and the top of an SD dome (measured front to back) and it is 6.9", the TwinSonic dome is 7.0".

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Any theories on why the SD domes appear so similar to TwinSonic domes? Maybe Code 3 was trying to ride the popularity coat-tail of the TS. Maybe they intended for them to be interchangeable... but that's nixed by the slight variations listed above.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm thinking they wanted to ride the popularity of the TwinSonic. I expect that is also the reason why Dietz, Signal Stat, and SVP had teardrop shaped beacons that were very similar to Federal's Fireball. Just guessing here.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
stansdds said:
I'm thinking they wanted to ride the popularity of the TwinSonic. I expect that is also the reason why Dietz, Signal Stat, and SVP had teardrop shaped beacons that were very similar to Federal's Fireball. Just guessing here.
You are correct!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.