Low power from Whelen Siren?

NV290

Feb 18, 2011
MASS
Greetings!

Was wondering if the minds here may have an answer to my issue before i send my unit back to Whelen for diagnosis and repair.

I have a Whelen 295HFSA1 Siren unit wired to a pair of Federal Signal Dynamax Speakers. All the wiring was done exactly as shown in the Whelen instructions. I used all the required wire sizes as well and everything is soldered and heat shrunk, no crimps. The issue is the output volume is not even close to what 200 watts should sound like. We compared it next to another similar setup and the volume is half at best. The diagnostix lights are both lighting showing the speakers are good and you can put your hand on the speakers and feel them working. The volume control is all the way up. I called Whelen and they said you could have a weak amplifier or even a blown amplifier. Does anybody else agree? In a likley related note, the PA mic now suddenly does not work. You key the mic and no sound comes out of the speakers.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The volume knob only controls the volume of the PA function, not any of the siren tones or air horn. Assuming that you do have your speakers wired correctly, as in the folowing

From Whelen said:
Connecting the Speaker Wires (Yellow' date= Orange & Brown):
3. Connect the YELLOW wire to the POSITIVE speaker connection on speaker #1.

4. Connect the ORANGE wire to the POSITIVE speaker connection on speaker #2.

5. Connect the BROWN wire to the NEGATIVE speaker connection on speaker #2.

6. Splice a wire from the NEGATIVE speaker connection on speaker #1 to the NEGATIVE speaker connection on speaker # 2.

Then the most likely cause is a blown amp in the siren. Try hooking only 1 speaker up and see if it gets louder. If that is the case, then something is amiss and you should send it out for repair.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I just replaced 2 dynamax fed sig speakers for 2 new Whelen Sa315p. The costumer had the same problem. Hes running a Whelen duel 200watt siren and it was not loud. With the new speakers it's a true 200watts. Fed sig stopped making the ms and replaced it with the ES100. What model do u have.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.