mini 4200 mounting

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Im wondering if someone can post a picture of (2) 4200 minis on a 3 inch filler plate for a havis console... I need multiple switches and the only thing im seeing online is at most 9, 10 if you want to no room on the swicthbox.

im needing 3 for modes, 5 for a siren, and a few more for auxillary lighting. and since the mini only has 1 momentary id need a second one for another momentary....

and 2 would be cheaper that its big brother plus i dont have a pc at home to program it with.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
From what I read he's needs 9 or 10 switches total and one would give him his 5 for siren and one for momentary but he'd need another one for another momentary button and to control some other things.

I have a 3" faceplate and took some measurements and the bracket is 8 1/2" wide. I think if you use the L-brackets their wouldn't be enough room. A possibility would be to use Velcro or a thin rubber piece on the bottom of the controller to keep it from spinning and then use a bolt where the swivel bracket attaches to secure it to the faceplate.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i was not aware more than one could be set to momentary... ( i havent read anything about more than one)

i was thinking 3m mounting tape with them being as close to each other as possible. wouldnt need screws then...

1 would be used for storm pro siren which needs 5 controls. 2 of which would need to be momentary. this would leave 1 open for other lighting.

the other would be for front, rear, side, and various modes for cannon and apollos, etc

Reactions: hfdemt4095

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Yes, it has the ability to set all 6 as momentary, if you wanted too, and in any order. Just a simple button sequence changes what ever button you want from on/off to momentary. 3m tape would probably work, just unsure if their is enough surface area for the tape since the back has ribs to help keep it cool.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
3m tape would probably work, just unsure if their is enough surface area for the tape since the back has ribs to help keep it cool.
For this reason, Idk if it would be a good idea to tape/velco/other surface mount without the ability to flow air behind it. 2 should fit side by side on a havis plate, using the included side mount standoffs, especially if you put the feet for the bracket pointed towards each other.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
They won't fit side by side with the L brackets. With the L brackets the controllers would be at about 10.5" and that's not taking into account the screws to attach the L brackets to the controller. Havis console faceplates are only 8.6" wide. The one controlling the siren should produce very little, if any heat. The one for the lights will depend on how many lights he's using.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
With the L brackets the controllers would be at about 10.5" and that's not taking into account the screws to attach the L brackets to the controller.

Typo above, should be 8.5" not 10.5", calculated the wrong bracket width. You could possibly do it but you would still have a few things to work around. The inner brackets would have to be offset to give enough room. You would either have to find a hex head screw big enough or nut big enough to fit in the indentation of the L bracket to secure the bracket to the faceplate. Finally the faceplate mounting rail would have to be notched out to accommodate the screws

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok, so i dont know how much "heat its going to produce" but that can be easily fixed by slotting or drilling air holes into the panel or worse case scenario dremeling out a chunck of it. 12v fans i have many of, if i really need to flow air... ive seen people surface mount these to plastic dashes and i dont see their cars burning down...

lights will all be LED. 2 switches will run the same set of apollos
another will run either a main line back to the rear of the vehiclewhere it will go to another set of switches (possibly relay controlled) or ill have a set of cannons, and 2 different LED flashers on three of the switches and another 2 will have same set of red amber red white sos nforces. and the other switch panel will have 5 for sire and another switch for 2 feneix titan 100s
good discussion thus far....

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
Could you cut a proper thread bolt, so it's basically a stick of all-thread, and then thread the two mini 4200's together in the center? Effectively putting them together with no gap?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
im sure it can be done but i dont have any in my hand to look at

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
With what you have you don't have that much to worry about with heat.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I agree with Fever, I've ran a few more lights than what you have for a customer off a 4200 Mini and I never noticed the controller creating any heat. If he screwed the two ends together he'd still need to put a bracket in the center to keep them stable and prevent extra stress on the outer screws, which could cause them to snap off. You should be fine securing it with 3m and shouldn't have to worry about the heat. As you've said you can always notch the bracket and add fans if needed but I'll be surprised if you have too.

noxin

Jun 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Could you cut a proper thread bolt, so it's basically a stick of all-thread, and then thread the two mini 4200's together in the center? Effectively putting them together with no gap?

This was my idea as well to reduce the space used!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.