Minnesota State Trooper Using A "Portable" Red Mini-Bar? (video)

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I used to rock an old Red Federal Firebeam rotator in my Tahoe before i sold it to a local Vol FF. I would leave it activated when my unit was parked at a traffic stop. And also when going code

Maybe he is just a freak like the rest of us on here and likes Blinkies lol

SRPD Tahoe.jpg

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
Some PD units up here have the same set up...butt load of lighting for a slick top ... then an able 2 mini bar or a whelen responder.

Ohio Departments include: Sheffield Village, Sheffield Lake, Avon, Avon Lake, Lakewood

But they have them on top all year long.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I used to keep a blue SVP Teardrop in my locker. If the Federal Vision on the vehicle I was assigned screwed the pooch; I would throw it on the front roof. That with the wig-wags, rear deck strobes, and front grill strobes got me through the night. :sleepy:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
WI State Troopers have been known to do that in the crazy snow like we had last night as well. I agree it provides better protection.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
The slicktops have them in the trunk, in case they are doing extended work like MnDot construction zone duty, or closing off of the interstste during a blizzard.

By the way, we are in the middle of a snow storm today (new years day)

Clarence

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
I have a FedSig Highlighter with r/b filters in the trunk of my slick top for the same reasons....can't beat a good halogen on the roof in a snow storm. :thumbsup:

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
Looks like a 420 beacon....A couple of are pd cars with slick tops use them here but only for parades and traffic control....And as for the snow well up here in mi we get it all the time wich i'am sick of:mad: as a matter of fact its snowin right now..... :thumbsup:

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Iowa State Patrol slicktops carry mag mini-bars too. They use them exactly like you saw the MN guy using it, for snowstorms.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
ark_firefighter said:
Some PD units up here have the same set up...butt load of lighting for a slick top ... then an able 2 mini bar or a whelen responder.

Ohio Departments include: Sheffield Village, Sheffield Lake, Avon, Avon Lake, Lakewood

But they have them on top all year long.

If you look at the ORC they have to have them to work traffic.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
RMBROWN said:
Looks like a 420 beacon....

I took a closer look and it also could be a Whelen Guardian mini-bar. I could be wrong, but it looks bigger than the 420. It's actually a good idea for slicktop to carry a mini-bar for just a situation like this. The pop of halogens rotators cannot be replaced by LEDs just yet!

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
What made me chuckle was, I get sooooo many people trying to convence me that LED's are so much brighter than halogen. Hmmmmm...... look like it stood out pretty good to me!! (coming from an ol' sealed beam lover, Par 36 forever!!)

Other argument is, LED is power saving ..... I just don't know. Power draw seems pretty close.

Great video. May make for another topic!! :thumbsup:

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
when i was running a slicktop i carried a federal signal highlighter for the purpose of being able to use it in snow storms or other types of scenes to help provide a little more light so people could see you better. i think it worked well to give off a little different type of flash w/the leds to be more noticeable.

LLS

May 23, 2010
NYC
forget the lightbar, I want to know what type of vehicle the "stormchaser" was driving!

Mndlm

Jun 14, 2010
Minnesota
crescentstar69 said:
Maybe temporary supplemental coverage for a slick top in stormy weather?? BTW, you can HAVE Minnesota with that weather!

YEP!!!

And today we will have record high near 40.

KFRDtondout

Jan 9, 2011
WI
Got to say those halogens are much nicer in crap weather, I like halogen in general im just old school I guess but nothing beats a halogen in my opinion even with the leds drawing less power, I have all leds right now an I still carry my firebeam w/ ultra flash in the back seat, trying to sell my led dash lights and get a mini bar and throw in the trunk in case.

usonian

May 25, 2010
minna-SO-tah!, USA
Those magnetic bars have been standard issue for Minnesota Trooper slick-tops & ghost cars for at least the last 20 years. I remember back in the mid-1990's when I would occasionally see a MNSP Pontiac Grand Prix ghost on the freeway in my neighborhood with one of those things twirling away.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Looks like a 420 beacon....A couple of are pd cars with slick tops use them here but only for parades and traffic control....And as for the snow well up here in mi we get it all the time wich i'am sick of:mad: as a matter of fact its snowin right now..... :thumbsup:
I agree. The Code 3 420 is still available.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I run a SHO ME strobe slash led mini bar on my slick top F-150 marked patrol car when I work border duty for extra lighting it helps....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.