Motorola XTL2500 and Siren/PA kit

Narland

Apr 26, 2012
USA Minnesota
We have a Spectra VHF mobile radio (A5 head) with siren/PA in an older squad. We are migrating to the MN ARMER (7/800mhz) System and will be installing a new Motorola XTL2500 remote mount.

Can the old spectra siren/pa be interfaced with the XTL2500?

swatmedic719

May 12, 2012
Charlotte NC
Pretty sure you need the Astro model sirenamp and DEK. Our new trucks have Astro systems 9000 sirens with our XTL 2500s ans 5000s.

Narland said:
We have a Spectra VHF mobile radio (A5 head) with siren/PA in an older squad. We are migrating to the MN ARMER (7/800mhz) System and will be installing a new Motorola XTL2500 remote mount.

Can the old spectra siren/pa be interfaced with the XTL2500?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I've tested older amps on newer radios. They appeared to work fine.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
You will then need a special cable that goes from the XTL head to the DEK siren box. You should already have the DEK box, so just need the cable and you should be able to combine the 2 without much modification.

My best friend had an XTL-5000 with a VRS-750 and a siren setup, that he swapped from a Astro Spectra. He had to order the special cable for the DEK box and add a DEK box in his case.

Jordan,TCFD

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I'm thinking about doing this with my XTL2500. I was looking at some of the old Astro Spectra boxes on ebay. What sort of cable would I need to go from the XTL to the siren box? And do I specifically need a motorola speaker or would any siren speaker work?

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
dasuriano said:
I'm thinking about doing this with my XTL2500. I was looking at some of the old Astro Spectra boxes on ebay. What sort of cable would I need to go from the XTL to the siren box? And do I specifically need a motorola speaker or would any siren speaker work?

For behind the grill, any siren speaker will work just fine so long as it is rated for 100 Watts.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
So why is this worth the money instead of just adding a seperate siren? I had some FedGov vehicles come in that had the Motorola radio/siren systems and were abandoning them because they were too much of a PITA to use.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
SafetyLighting said:
So why is this worth the money instead of just adding a seperate siren? I had some FedGov vehicles come in that had the Motorola radio/siren systems and were abandoning them because they were too much of a PITA to use.

Most of the ones I have dealt with have never been programmed correctly by the radio guys. Depending on the set-up, some have a 2nd wildcard box for the lights and pressing buttons for lights and sirens is not easy for some folks without taking their eyes off of the road.

agtkgv

May 23, 2010
MA
If you have a spectra (non-astro) you will need a new siren (model HLN1439 I believe is for the astro/xtl line) you will also need a new cable to go from the 2500 remote head to the dek, as the connectors are different. The part is odyssey control head to DEK (I forget the part number).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.