Need help/suggestions on how to set up my 2014 Silverado (updated 5/4 with video)

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
I just received approval to run lights and siren on my POV. I could really use some help as far as how I should set it up. Here are some stock pictures of my truck: amedia_cache_ec0.pinimg.com_736x_67_fb_2d_67fb2d50f48a9490a8be10b5ea7593ce.jpg

aimg2.netcarshow.com_Chevrolet_Silverado_2014_800x600_wallpaper_0d.jpg

My thoughts as of right now, I want it to be slick top. I am thinking of using the Feniex Pegasus in a r/r/r/td/td/b/b/b configuration and a cobra800 in the rear r/r/r/a/a/b/b/b. I am not sure about how to get coverage on the sides yet and am not 100% on the controller yet. I know I want an all in one light/siren controller. I was thinking of a whelen 295 unit, but not sure how or where to mount it. I dont want to mount it directly under the center dash due to there being a cigarette lighter recepticle and 110v receptacle that I would prefer not to cover up. Another thought is to go with the HHS200 so I could hide the box and just have the remote sticking out. I am open to suggestions and all help is appreciated. I wont say money is no object, but I want this to come out well and don't mind spending a little extra.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Pm sent

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
First of all, I'm insanely jealous of that truck. Just putting that out there.

Down in TX, you're probably running some pretty dark tint. You might want to test some lightheads and compare interior vs exterior before you commit hundreds of dollars.

For controls, a Feniex 4200 would be nice. Or, if you want to take the minimalist approach, all you really need is 4-5 switches, which could be mounted under dash or inside a console.

RES347CUE

Nov 7, 2010
NASSAU COUNTY N.Y.
I would just put 2 magnetic tear drops on the roof

Ok just kidding lol

The options are endless

The open design of that grill is screaming for attention of some split led's

Possibly a visor bar and thar rear window has plenty of real estate

And of corse a HLF !

Good luck and nice rig !!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
RES347CUE said:

And of corse a HLF !

I disagree about split leds. Split are not a good idea. I do agree a HLF is a great bang for the buck. I am starting to like the look of the new Chevy.

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
RES347CUE said:
I would just put 2 magnetic tear drops on the roof

Ok just kidding lol

The options are endless

Possibly a visor bar and thar rear window has plenty of real estate

And of corse a HLF !

Yep. ..I love my new truck. I am looking at running some canons in front and rear and I will probably put a couple of single color cobras in the grill. Not a big fan of the split lights. I still need to figure out what to do for the sides for 360 coverage.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
silverado.jpg

silverado2.jpg

- Grill lights and Cannons synced in an x-pattern

- Rear lightbar red and blue flashes together, amber flashes with T6s under tailgate

- All lights except for the front light bar and intersectors synced with a ULF44 flasher

- Siren/Controller is a Whelen HHS2200

- Mode 1 turns on rear lights and intersectors

- Mode 2 turns on all lights

- Mode 3 is all lights + HLF and flashing TDs and changes ULF to alternate pattern

- Pattern in mode one and two is single flash 60, alternate pattern in mode 3 is action flash

- Low power mode on the ULF utilized

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
We've done a few silverados for construction and road crews. Cannons in the reverse lights work perfectly. They are a huge improvement over the stock reverse bulbs and you can have the second color be red/blue or amber.

The grills are horrible for large footprint lights unless you are mounting them in front of the grill. If not, I suggest the Feniex T-6/DLX6/GHOST/Ion type light. In my opinion its easier to build a bracket back there for a surface mount light than anything else.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
FEVER said:
We've done a few silverados for construction and road crews. Cannons in the reverse lights work perfectly. They are a huge improvement over the stock reverse bulbs and you can have the second color be red/blue or amber..

We just did this to a friends Dakota last night. It works very well.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Eric1249 said:
We just did this to a friends Dakota last night. It works very well.

We also replace the front turn signals with solid amber modules on the front. It's awesome for the road crew guys.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
The Dakota had split amber/clear in the reverse. I have solid Amber in my reverse. We compared them and there didn't seem to be a noticeable difference.

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
acala91 said:
View attachment 69423
View attachment 69428

- Rear lightbar red and blue flashes together, amber flashes with T6s under tailgate

- All lights except for the front light bar and intersectors synced with a ULF44 flasher

- Mode 3 is all lights + HLF and flashing TDs and changes ULF to alternate pattern

- Pattern in mode one and two is single flash 60, alternate pattern in mode 3 is action flash

Great post!!! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. I will make a couple changes but that gives me a good start. Good use of visual aids.

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Will you be putting a grille guard(Ranch Hand or similar) and or a tool box as these are great places to mount lights.

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
Marc M said:
Will you be putting a grille guard(Ranch Hand or similar) and or a tool box as these are great places to mount lights.

Negative to both for right now. I may eventually get a grille guard, but the bed will stay empty.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
aperdue said:
I just received approval to run lights and siren on my POV. I could really use some help as far as how I should set it up. Here are some stock pictures of my truck: amedia_cache_ec0.pinimg.com_736x_67_fb_2d_67fb2d50f48a9490a8be10b5ea7593ce.jpg

My thoughts as of right now, I want it to be slick top. I am thinking of using the Feniex Pegasus in a r/r/r/td/td/b/b/b configuration and a cobra800 in the rear r/r/r/a/a/b/b/b. I am not sure about how to get coverage on the sides yet and am not 100% on the controller yet. I know I want an all in one light/siren controller. I was thinking of a whelen 295 unit, but not sure how or where to mount it. I dont want to mount it directly under the center dash due to there being a cigarette lighter recepticle and 110v receptacle that I would prefer not to cover up. Another thought is to go with the HHS200 so I could hide the box and just have the remote sticking out. I am open to suggestions and all help is appreciated. I wont say money is no object, but I want this to come out well and don't mind spending a little extra.

A set of Vertex in the Fog Lights will work great.

Take a look at Whelen's new Ion V Series for under mirror mount for 180 side intersection coverage and VERY low profile.

The puddle light can be triggered by the dome light circuit. The other front facing white LEDs can be steady/on/off or triggered through a flasher.

If the truck has the OEM white rear cargo bed lights you can remove them and install the vertex in their place, (just don't modify the 3rd brake light).

Happy shopping for a great slick-top look.

RJ

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
aperdue said:

FRONT:

--FedSig Spectralux lightbar (you have have the entire lightbar flash red/blue with clear flood light; as long as you don't use a crazy fast flickering pattern, I think the duo color R/B flashing will look

--HLF

--1 red & 1 blue 700 series behind the upper grill (I prefer grill lights mounted in front of the grill but understand you wanting a covert look

SIDES:

--Sound Off nForce for intersection (mounted right where the fender meets the bumper). You can do a duo color R/B unit or single color. You can also mount another set of nForce on each side of a toolbox (if u get one) for side warning & as an alley (they can be used for flood)

--SOS intersectors

--if you have running boards, you can add small lights there (ie SOS led3 mini, linz6, etc)

REAR:

--TLF (you can do LAWs, but I think the TLF works well b/c of the large brake lights on the Silverado/Tahoe & is a LOT more economical)

--SNM Dual Color E66 (can flash Red & Blue, with amber TA override) on L-brackets on headliner OR SOS ultralite 12 RRRRAAAABBBB

--2 duo color impaxx on LP bracket (both flash red slowly > both flash blue slowly)

Federal Signal Smart Siren SS200 (it's essentially a mini smart siren control head that can be mounted anywhere) or any whelen/FedSig/SOS handheld remote siren (I installed a FedSig 640 by using double-sided 3M tape to mount the bracket/"cradle" to the dash)

2 FedSig AS124 speakers

I like LAWs but I recommend surface mount lightheads as a priority (due to their large footprint) & spending more $ on the lightbar (then add LAWs slowly over time)

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
That is beyond my price range. I am looking to stay around $1500 in parts. I have gotten a quote for almost all of the lights I need for under $1400, and got a new Whelen 295slsc6 coming my way.

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
acala91 said:
View attachment 69423
View attachment 69428

Well, it looks like the two t6's under the tailgate wont work, they would get crushed. Looks like I may go with a license plate mount instead. The Whelens M7's are just too big. I dont want anything sticking out of the grill, so will probably run 4 t6's in the grill instead in the X pattern. I am having second thoughts on the cannon as I cant figure out where in the headlights I would be able to mount them.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
aperdue said:
Well, it looks like the two t6's under the tailgate wont work, they would get crushed. Looks like I may go with a license plate mount instead. The Whelens M7's are just too big. I dont want anything sticking out of the grill, so will probably run 4 t6's in the grill instead in the X pattern. I am having second thoughts on the cannon as I cant figure out where in the headlights I would be able to mount them.

I'd recommend against the cannons in the headlights.

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
FEVER said:

I think I am going to eliminate the cannons all together. Think I May just run 2 t6's in the grille and 2 t6's in a license plate bracket on the back, so for now, the plan is Pegasus in windshield, 2 T6's in the grille in L brackets, Cobra 800 in backglass mounted in headliner brackets and the two T6's on the tail light bracket.

Still not 100% on how I want to light the sides and I need to look up info on the HLF's. Who makes a good one? What lights would ya'll suggest I run on one?

Brendan11

Nov 5, 2013
Illinois near St. Louis
My brother is having this done to his 2014 Silverado soon. Go check out the thread, it was mentioned above. When it gets done ill post some pics/vids if it gets done before yours. Good luck with yours

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I would go with four Whelen TIR6s in the grill instead of T6s. You can get them really cheap in the classifieds and they have a lot bigger footprint than the T6s.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
the tir6's will look partially obstructed and be pointless in those grills. They are pretty narrow.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
acala91 said:
View attachment 69423
View attachment 69428

Great visual... :)

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
Ok, think I figured how I want to do the sides. I am thinking a Cobra 2x on either side of the back seat using a headliner bracket. What do yall think?

ai158.photobucket.com_albums_t120_adam_perdue_20140217_103636_zpszoh0u4tc.jpg

Here is where the bracket would go. Would this give any issues with the weather stripping?

ai158.photobucket.com_albums_t120_adam_perdue_20140217_103648_zpsob5v49yd.jpg

And the window it would be looking out of

ai158.photobucket.com_albums_t120_adam_perdue_20140217_103701_zpscf5lbjju.jpg

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
aperdue said:
Ok, think I figured how I want to do the sides. I am thinking a Cobra 2x on either side of the back seat using a headliner bracket. What do yall think?
ai158.photobucket.com_albums_t120_adam_perdue_20140217_103636_zpszoh0u4tc.jpg

QUOTE]

Personally I would mount it on the door itself. Avoids the weather stripping issue and your passengers heads will thank you as well. I tried mounting mine at the headliner originally and did have alittle bit of a drip. Also if you mount it on the door you can get closer the glass and minimize the flashback alittle.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
ch31391 said:
I have to agree. And Go with Cannons in the tails vs T6's on rear plate. My opinion is to put the Cannons in the reverse light housing so it doesn't have to compete with another light like if you were to put in in brake light housing.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
the issue with the headliner mount is you will need about an inch and a half to two inches from where it comes down out of the gasket to have enough rooom to mount to the headliner mount. The headliner mount actually secures itself to the back of the cobra.

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
FEVER said:
the issue with the headliner mount is you will need about an inch and a half to two inches from where it comes down out of the gasket to have enough rooom to mount to the headliner mount. The headliner mount actually secures itself to the back of the cobra.

So would it not work with the back glass either?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
aperdue said:
So would it not work with the back glass either?

Not the way you want it too, unless you have the room between the glass and where the modling comes out. You might be forced to drill/cut somewhere.

Brendan11

Nov 5, 2013
Illinois near St. Louis
I was looking at ways to mount a Cobra 600 in the back window of this truck too and was thinking the headliner mount but guess that wont work. Any other ideas for doing this with keeping drilling/cutting to a minimum preferably none.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I believe the silverado has two coat hangers at the back window. You can manufacture a bracket to go there

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
FEVER said:
I believe the silverado has two coat hangers at the back window. You can manufacture a bracket to go there

Nope, the new crew cabs dont have them. Its ok though, have a buddy that is a machinist that is gonna help me fab any mounts that I need.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
aperdue said:
Nope, the new crew cabs dont have them. Its ok though, have a buddy that is a machinist that is gonna help me fab any mounts that I need.

That means you can pretty much do anything. I look forward to seeing the install. :thumbsup:

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
acala91 said:
View attachment 69423
View attachment 69428

Smart man here. Listen closely!

You will definitely be happier with larger footprint grill lights. 2 Big lights > 4 smaller lights in the grill.

I like the idea of mounting the side lights on the door. Look at the Whelen Dual Avenger and Slim Lighter too

So to sum up:

Front - HLF, VisorBar, 2 large grill lights

Side - 2 lights in side window with your choice of intersection (lights on side of front plate, SOS intersector, etc.)

Rear - R/A/B light stick in rear window with your choice of at least 2 more lights (LP lights, TLF, cannons, etc.)

Just please, go big footprint over small, and keep the rear patterns SLOW!!!!!

Oh, and one more thing. GORGEOUS TRUCK!

aperdue

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
aperdue said:

here is whati have for now.b Some additions will be made before to long.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
aperdue said:

FEVER said:

I 2nd that. If they are on, it would most certainly wash out HAWs, if not just reduce their effectiveness! Go for a HLF!!

aperdue said:
here is whati have for now.b Some additions will be made before to long.

Not bad so far! If you can, definitely do the HLF, and some Cannons in the tail lights, and call it a day!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firefighter5316

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.