New Contour 9100 mini.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Hey all.

I found and purchased a Star Contour 9100 mini led bar with vacuum and magnet mount. Has a cig plug with power rocker and momentary switch for pattern select. This is new old stock I got for 100 bucks, good deal

Manual says IMG_2023-11-23-12-05-38-365.jpgIMG_2023-11-23-12-06-42-510.jpg20 patterns selectable, I can only see about 5 or 6 patterns I can get from mine. I simply hold the momentary switch for a second to change patterns.

So what is it? Some of these only have 5 or 6 patterns? Manual days 20, but it's no big deal, it's bright as hell and the patterns I do get are very effective

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Some of those "20" patterns could include slave/master modes of each pattern for synching multiple bars. One company out there even considers "off" to be included in the pattern list.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Some of those "20" patterns could include slave/master modes of each pattern for synching multiple bars. One company out there even considers "off" to be included in the pattern list.
I counted the patterns today and I have 5. Far cry from 20. The manual says 20 patterns and even list them as what they are. I wanted to find the one that has steady burn to one side and a slow flash to the other side. Sort of an advisor function. The patterns I have are quite aggressive.

I've also read someplace that you have to open the bar up itself and change stuff to get different patterns. Manual says nothing about that

I have a sho me mini bar and it says it has 7 patterns and it does.

I wonder if mine being a temporary magnet mount with cig lighter hookup, it only gets 5 patterns? Maybe the hardwire version gets all 20...

Nonetheless, it's a nice mini bar and effective. I'll be using it as a beacon on my car this winter for roadside emergencies and blizzard whiteouts.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Don't hold the pattern select switch at all unless you're using the shortcuts. Just a very, very quick tap to move on to the next pattern. If you hold it too long (but not long enough to trigger a shortcut) you can actually move backwards in the pattern selection.

Reactions: Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Don't hold the pattern select switch at all unless you're using the shortcuts. Just a very, very quick tap to move on to the next pattern. If you hold it too long (but not long enough to trigger a shortcut) you can actually move backwards in the pattern selection.
I'll try that

I do hold it too long....not like for a few seconds, but probably a second. It just seems like it won't do anything if I just hit it quick.
I'll try it when I get home, thanks

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I tried it quick taps, slight taps all the ways I could and nothing happens. Just 4 patterns out of said 20. I get a wig wag and full bar flash with two intensities of each.
Kinda frustrating, this bar is brand new and it says it does 20 patterns and it won't. Guess it's a dud.

I wanted a soft flash without the flicker, kinda like a cars caution lights, for snow storm lighting, but this thing looks like I'm going on a fire call or code three emergency. The patterns I do get are very aggressive

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I don't know about this bar specifically, but sometimes bars with plugs and switches on the plugs for patterns don't access all the patterns from the plug. There may be four groups of five patterns, for example, and there could be either dip switches or jumpers inside to select the group of patterns. That would mean the switch on the plug is scrolling through that bank or group of patterns. I don't know this to be true but that has been the case with other products in the past and with there being only 25% of the total number promised it seems more likely.

I'm not sure if maybe you have a model that only has certain approved patterns, which is entirely possible... But it kind of sounds like you are fast jumping to patterns rather than advancing a single pattern. The manual seems to explain that holding the switch down for a predetermined number of seconds will let you jump between patterns, whereas a single tap advances it one pattern. It seems like something might be off with this.

So you get flashing back and forth half the bar and flashing the whole bar. Two different types of each for a total of four options, correct?? It sounds like you're jumping between two of the "preselects" and then the pattern following it. I would probably open the bar up and activate the different wires before getting to the plug. There's a possibility that the switch and the plug is jumping you between pre-select instead of single advancing. I would definitely take the plug out of the equation before making any other decisions.

If this isn't an issue with switching causing a jump between pre-selects, I don't think the bar is necessarily a dud. This doesn't sound like a way the bar would fail or a likely manufacturing defect necessarily. I would say it's more likely that this is a specific model ordered with less flash patterns. I bought a rota beam LED from eBay one time that only had one flash pattern because it was specified that way by an agency.

Last edited:

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I don't know about this bar specifically, but sometimes bars with plugs and switches on the plugs for patterns don't access all the patterns from the plug. There may be four groups of five patterns, for example, and there could be either dip switches or jumpers inside to select the group of patterns. That would mean the switch on the plug is scrolling through that bank or group of patterns. I don't know this to be true but that has been the case with other products in the past and with there being only 25% of the total number promised it seems more likely.

I'm not sure if maybe you have a model that only has certain approved patterns, which is entirely possible... But it kind of sounds like you are fast jumping to patterns rather than advancing a single pattern. The manual seems to explain that holding the switch down for a predetermined number of seconds will let you jump between patterns, whereas a single tap advances it one pattern. It seems like something might be off with this.

So you get flashing back and forth half the bar and flashing the whole bar. Two different types of each for a total of four options, correct?? It sounds like you're jumping between two of the "preselects" and then the pattern following it. I would probably open the bar up and activate the different wires before getting to the plug. There's a possibility that the switch and the plug is jumping you between pre-select instead of single advancing. I would definitely take the plug out of the equation before making any other decisions.

If this isn't an issue with switching causing a jump between pre-selects, I don't think the bar is necessarily a dud. This doesn't sound like a way the bar would fail or a likely manufacturing defect necessarily. I would say it's more likely that this is a specific model ordered with less flash patterns. I bought a rota beam LED from eBay one time that only had one flash pattern because it was specified that way by an agency.
Someone here said you have to open it up to switch to different patterns. Must be the dip switch thing is true. No matter what I do, I only have 4 patterns. I tried to get the dome off, but don't see how .
While it is a bright light, it is built on the cheap side even though they sell for around 256-300 dollars or so. The base is plastic, dome can't be removed it seems and it has. Cig plug. I just don't see that price and I'm glad I payed only 100.

My sho-me mini bar is way more better built with aluminum base, plus it was cheaper

SNOW SYSTEMS

Sep 26, 2010
Illinois
Hey all.

I found and purchased a Star Contour 9100 mini led bar with vacuum and magnet mount. Has a cig plug with power rocker and momentary switch for pattern select. This is new old stock I got for 100 bucks, good deal

Manual says View attachment 247626View attachment 24762720 patterns selectable, I can only see about 5 or 6 patterns I can get from mine. I simply hold the momentary switch for a second to change patterns.

So what is it? Some of these only have 5 or 6 patterns? Manual days 20, but it's no big deal, it's bright as hell and the patterns I do get are very effective
i agree these are bright, better than fed sig highlighters. its usa made. maybe call the factory up ask for a service tech for quickest response there

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.