NEW IDEAS - 2001 Ford Ranger fire/EMS/fire police POV

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
After losing several vehicles to old age recently, I decided to actually do a payment plan and buy a newer truck. Of course, with new trucks come new install jobs. I currently use this truck for responding to fire and EMS calls, along with it's heavier-use duties for fire policing.

Here it is on the test drive (comparison for bone stock).

[Broken External Image]:http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Southside_SAR/SANY0022.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Southside_SAR/SANY0023.jpg

Installed a MX7000 lightbar, 4-switch Sho-Me controller, and a Cobra 19ST-II CB radio. A couple days later, added my Motorola SM120 VHF fire dpet. & fire police radio.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0064.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0063.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0065.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0067.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0066.jpg

Bought a used rollbar off of craigslist, refinished it, and bolted it in.

[Broken External Image]:http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Southside_SAR/SANY0018.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Southside_SAR/SANY0019.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Southside_SAR/SANY0020.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0024.jpg

Next, took the dinky wheels/tires off the Ranger. Swapped them out for the wheels/tires on my old Explorer.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0001.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0002_1.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0003_1.jpg

Next logical step is a spray-in bedliner. Had the junior do it.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY00042.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY00072.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY00052.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY00062.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0011.jpg

I tried different layouts with the lightbar, but eventually settled on the configuration in the last photo.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0044.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0045.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0046.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0057.jpg

Relocated the SM120, and added a Kenwood TK-840 UHF for my other FP agency, and for EMS.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0056.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0055.jpg

In the last lightbar photo, you can see my 5/8 wave VHF whip on an L bracket on the rollbar, a 5/8 wave over 1/2 wave UHF antenna on the driver's side bedrail, and a CB whip. I will be doing a custom install on my power inverter, Auto Charge 1000, and a shoreline disconnect in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I wouldn't run amber to the front, it's just bad form (no matter what your lighting laws are). There's a rescue squad near us that has 3 forward 900s in amber on each of their rigs and I cringe every time I see them.

JCLG316

Sep 3, 2010
Reading, Pa
Not a bad set up. But I still would have gone with a LED lightbar because I know being a Fire Police Officer your out a long time longer than your department normally so you can shut off your truck and not have to worry about gas. With shutting off your truck alls you really have to do is like every 2 - 3 hours is start is up for 10 minutes just to recharge the battery. But I have a few more lights on my truck and higher powered radios. So you could probably get away with 3 or more hours.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
The amber rotator is on it's own switch, and is usually used when facing oncoming traffic.

I'm old-school when it comes to lighting. Well, old-school and a decent MX7000 costs a scant fraction of the price for an LED bar. Been thinking about getting a Feniex Olympian control panel to lay things out a little better.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I think you did an excellent job in making the truck into what you want it to be.

PS: as noted above, an LED lightbar will allow you to sit for extended periods of time without running your motor. The savings quickly offset the LED price and from then on, its more money in your pocket

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Another reason for no LED yet is that I've been in a state of perpetual limbo for a couple of years. In this state, everyone gets blue, except for chief officers and fire police captains/lieutenants who get red. I've been considered for lt/capt, and the decision has been murky for several months now. There's no telling if/when that promotion will happen, but it would be my luck that as soon as I commit to a $1200 blue lightbar, they would write me a permit for red.

How badly would it mess with the colour and output of the lighting if I got an all-clear Whelen Liberty with blue outer lenses?

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Thanks, man! The bar wasn't hard to rehab. It had a tiny bit of surface rust, blue spray paint, and what appeared to be white latex house paint that got splashed on it and someone tried (but not too hard) to wipe it off. Rough then smooth sandpaper and four coats of flat black spray paint later, it looks like new. It's an older Grizzly bar too, because it's not bolted together, it's welded together as one unit. Very sturdy and makes no noise on the road. I have to continuously re-apply the bedliner because I use my truck like people should use a truck, and as a result, my liner gets chipped every now and then.

The Explorer's tires were nearly new, as were one of the aluminum alloy wheels. I was in the process of selling the Explorer, and there was no way $700 worth of tires and a wheel were going with it, so I put the Ranger's dinky steelies and tires on it before the buyers came to view it. Overall, I am very satisfied with this purchase.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
The cones are the same weight, but also department-provided. No expenditure on my part. Looking to get the dept. to purchase some collapsible barricades soon.

JCLG316

Sep 3, 2010
Reading, Pa
If you are looking at the lime green collapasable baracades that fold up like in a chair bag. We tried to go for them but are EMA person said no because ther werent PennDOT compliant. Just a warning. And PS there is nothing wrong with sitting down on the side of the road at a police reconstruction of an accident. We did it the other week at a death on the other side of the road closed. It was nice but after 4 standing for 4 hours.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Oh, I know. Me and a fire police captain for a mutual aid company spent 5 hours closing down the Ohio River Blvd. when a guy barricaded himself in the Avalon Motel. After a couple of hours, we put out the trucks, the arrows, the barricades, cones, and signs, and sat in camp chairs on the roadside. Those things are a valuable item to have.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I like the way that MX looks on that little truck!!! You don't get any shit about the clear sweeps...?

I'd add a pair of small LED grill lights and a pair in the rear too, but tahts just me... It's not like the truck needs anymore really...

Looks real good man!!! :thumbsup:

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
TritonBoulder47 said:
I like the way that MX looks on that little truck!!! You don't get any shit about the clear sweeps...?

I'd add a pair of small LED grill lights and a pair in the rear too, but tahts just me... It's not like the truck needs anymore really...

Looks real good man!!! :thumbsup:

Agreed!

2 grill lights up front, 2 lights on a LP bracket in the rear, and you're set!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I used to have a 2000 ford ranger with the 5 speed! Nice little truck, I miss it actually. Good gas mileage, but I needed the 4x4. Looks like a good setup! Oh, don't do the clear with blue lenses, it wont be bright at all. I don't think anyone answered that for ya.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
So, trying to figure out what to do about light output on the MX. The output is crap. Very, very dim IMHO. So I had an idea:

Several stage buildup. Stage I is complete and stage II is in-motion.

1 - Meguiars headlight polishing kit for clear plastic.

I did this earlier today. Kit comes with two grades of sanding disk, hand sander, polishing wheel drill attachment, lens polish/cleaner, and lens sealer. It actually worked! While the domes don't look brand new, they are now crystal clear.

2 - Fully load the bar. I have purchased/traded for a number of items, including a box of MX7000 parts and a set of Whelen LIN6 blue LEDs. I'll likely move my front halogen flashers to the front center section, add a set of halogen flashers to the rear center section, put the LIN6 lights in the lower tier outboards, change all of the rotators to fast rotators, I need to replace the now broken center rotator (broke this morning). I'm thinking about doing a amber half cylinder on the center rotator rear so the front can be clear, and also thinking about putting amber filters on the front center flashers instead of blue, moving the blues to the rear center. Has anyone tried to fit 7 rotators into a MX7K 47" instead of 5? I also need to filter the sweeps on the back to blue. I have red ones sitting around, but that may or may not fly too well with the cops here (I know, I know, if it's illegal, try not to do it).

skleppy

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I first saw your truck. Reason being...the Afghan National Police use almost the same thing as you minus the radios. Blue bar, green truck, roll bar with machine gun mount in the bed...okay yours doesn't have the MG mount but everything else reminds me of those opium smoking corrupt half wits. If you knew what the ANP are like...then you'd probably want a new truck to.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
I laugh as well. I forgot about some things from back home. After I put it all together, a friend of mine reminded me that the Virginia Game & Inland Fisheries Rangers use green pickups with blue lightbars.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
So, I'm thinking about new ideas for my Ranger. Here's what I had in mind to augment what I already have:

- Smaller steel truckbox with locking handle, between rollbar supports for holding medical equipment/turnout gear.

- Shortened L shaped bedside toolboxes from rollbar stringers to tailgate for storing tools, flares, oil dry, and truck care supplies.

- Folding barricades and more parking cones.

- Set of Turboflares.

- 2 blue AWL T3 LEDs behind the grille.

- 2 amber AWL T3 LEDs on back surface of bedside toolboxes.

- Blue Feniex Fairys in reverse lights.

- Blue Feniex Fairys on underside of side mirrors.

- Blue & amber Feniex Fairys in headlight housings, both colors in each light, set to alternate.

- Flashing halogen takedowns in lightbar with steady override (accomplished with Code 3 710 flasher I sourced).

- Remove rear sweeps and install alley lights, pointed backwards. Use relays to accomplish rear work lights, with a reverse light override.

- Blue LED strip lights inside MX7000 for cruise lights (yes, an MX with cruise lights).

- Feniex Olympian controller.

I'll be purchasing the Olympian, cruise lights, and possibly the T3's for the grille on Friday. The intersection/work light and flashing takedown ideas are already being carried out.

Is it overkill? Keep some, lose some? Don't change a thing? Ideas?

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
108FP1 said:
- 2 blue AWL T3 LEDs behind the grille.
- 2 amber AWL T3 LEDs on back surface of bedside toolboxes.

- Blue Feniex Fairys in reverse lights.

- Blue Feniex Fairys on underside of side mirrors.

- Blue & amber Feniex Fairys in headlight housings, both colors in each light, set to alternate.

I'll be purchasing the Olympian, cruise lights, and possibly the T3's for the grille on Friday. The intersection/work light and flashing takedown ideas are already being carried out.

Is it overkill? Keep some, lose some? Don't change a thing? Ideas?

The Fairys under the mirrors sound like a great idea. This concept has been getting very popular lately. I think it's a great covert way to mount them!

Overall, your setup sounds great. I was glad to hear you weren't getting rid of the MX, it fits really nicely on your truck!

chem1calburn

Aug 26, 2011
NY
Honestly, I can see a lot that can be done with this truck. This is especially due to the fact that you'll be doing Fire Police duties, too, so you should have an ample amount of lighting on your truck aside from the older model lightbar.

As people have stated already, go with LEDs - less enery draw and they're brighter. It's a bit more expensive, but I think it's a worth investment; You may even be able to write it off when it comes to taxes.

Since your truck will probably have it's rear facing traffic, or you'll be on the side of the road at times, I highly suggest getting an Arrow Stick of some sort, whether it's equipped on the rear of a lightbar or made interior. Either way works, and it'll help traffic know where to go (for the most part - obviously there'll still be those oblivious drivers out there).

For responding, especially in trucks, I'd suggest HAWs and grill lights. You have a lightbar, so a dashlight isn't exactly necessary.

If possible, especially for Fire Police duties, get some sort of side warning, as you may have your vehicle turned on it's side running perpendicular with traffic.

Here in NY people are too oblvious and busy with their cell phones to realize vehicles unless they have LEDs; Even then people still won't move at times. More warning power is needed, and rotator lights just don't cut it anymore, especially if you lack a siren (NY vollies cannot have sirens). LEDs are definitely the way to go. Plus, LEDs save your battery and last longer than strobes other warning lights.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I know that Fire Police are used for traffic control. I know that I personally wouldn't want to stand out in the weather for an extended amount of time. I would initially to help set myself up but I would evenutally seek shelter in my vehicle. I would assume this would be alright since your sitting on the side of the road in a chair. So with all that being said and knowing it's for traffic control as the other poster advised a Traffic Advisor would be a thought. I have one on my Edge bar and use it very frequently on scene and often asked to close roads when we are on longer scenes with the FD.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
The latest on my Olympian is it should be here a day early, so tomorrow morning. I will have a full install report with photos after it gets here.

Meanwhile, I have removed the rear intersection sweeps, replaced them with a set of alley lights facing backwards and a tiny bit to each side, wired them to two relays (one for the Olympian switch and one for the reverse lights trigger), and they wait. Front takedowns have also been wired, but I will be deviating from the plan to have them able to flash. Lines for a pair of side Fairys, rear Fairys, front Fairys, and front/rear T-4 Pythons will be run, even if they are capped until the lights get ordered.

More to come.....

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Well, It arrived.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0095.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0099.jpg

Out with the old.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0093.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0094.jpg

In with the new.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0103.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0105.jpg

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l77_Southside_SAR_SANY0106.jpg

It has done the lighting hiccup with me already, but this is now mentioned in the instruction manual. According to the manual, let it occur once, then turn off the individual switches that are on, then turn it back off, and "it shouldn't happen again".

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
It's nice. A remote switchbox is the only thing that can work within the confines of my truck, as all of the useful space is taken. I like the soft-touch buttons. Snappy plastic rocker switches look and feel cheap, this doesn't feel so cheap. The progressive switching options are nice too. I'll be better able to see it's capabilities when I start putting in more lights.

gip127

Sep 29, 2011
New Jersey
i would add a dash light top right

other wise looks good man :bump:

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
It works wonderfully. I did the trick where you program a memory button to do nothing, and that seems to keep the gremlins from biting. I would recommend this switch panel to anyone who needs a cost-effective remote panel that is user (and installer) friendly.

Center rotator has pissed me off for the last time. It gets replaced here in a bit if things slow down at work.

Does anyone have any experience with the Flashpoint LED beacon? A local supplier has them and they are mega-bright. I was thinking about replacing the center rotator with either a blue or an amber Flashpoint.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.