New strobe to mess with

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
No clue what this was supposed to be. It has several loose connections I need to repair before I test it more. The transformer is hanging by one lead, that's the first thing to fix.
PXL_20230101_200053801.jpgPXL_20230101_200058404.jpgPXL_20230101_200101896.jpgPXL_20230101_200432683.jpgPXL_20230101_200427708.jpgPXL_20230101_200424099.jpgPXL_20230101_200418126.jpgPXL_20230101_200136073.jpg

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
I *almost* bought that, but decided it didn't really fit in my collection. Glad you've got a new toy, just hope it doesn't further distract you from unloading your car...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I *almost* bought that, but decided it didn't really fit in my collection. Glad you've got a new toy, just hope it doesn't further distract you from unloading your car...
Too late....

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
That's a really nifty device.

I found some interesting hits:

this link discusses the choice of using a "Signalite" spark-gap for timing/triggering (reasons its prefered over a neon lamp)

and this link from ~71 discussing uses on school buses.

Interesting is that the two Rae Co individuals named in the links share a last name of "Elvers".

When researching the Whelen SYNC box, I came across some PSs that used that spark-gap device for timing/triggering.

Reactions: Skippy

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That's a really nifty device.

I found some interesting hits:

this link discusses the choice of using a "Signalite" spark-gap for timing/triggering (reasons its prefered over a neon lamp)

and this link from ~71 discussing uses on school buses.

Interesting is that the two Rae Co individuals named in the links share a last name of "Elvers".

When researching the Whelen SYNC box, I came across some PSs that used that spark-gap device for timing/triggering.
I got the transformer reconnected and now it just winds up and doesn't fire. Anything for troubleshooting that I should do differently on this type? I honestly haven't even unpacked it enough to look for obvious culprints. I'm wondering if the bulb just isn't bad.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Really need more info (in the form of clear pics, both sides of the PCB).
Assuming the link I pointed to above describes your device and assuming the spark-gap looks like this:
1672668468028.png and of course, assuming it charges up with enough voltage to jump the gap, should see a slight spark in the spark-gap.
However, from what I can tell, "newer" spark-gaps were more sealed up and I don't know if you could see anything inside.

I see what looks like a small transformer and a relatively large coil. I'm confused as to what does what (why I love to see clearer pics of the layout).

Update: Ah, okay - now I recognize a bit more:
1672671161578.png
Bulb's red-wire connects to the trigger coil, brown to ground, orange to primary cap(s) anode.
So tests using a diagram found in the link above:

1672672038361.png

- I'd expect somewhere near of avove 300V at RED
- Zero ohms resistance across both GREEN points
- guessing around 230V across YELLOW (fluctuating if its working -- i.e. as it charges and discharges)
- BLUE should measure to be close to the resistance value of this resistor under test.

The "G.D. DEVICE" is the spark gap BTW.

HTH
This is a really cool device worthy of working correctly...for sure :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Really need more info (in the form of clear pics, both sides of the PCB).
Assuming the link I pointed to above describes your device and assuming the spark-gap looks like this:
View attachment 241962 and of course, assuming it charges up with enough voltage to jump the gap, should see a slight spark in the spark-gap.
However, from what I can tell, "newer" spark-gaps were more sealed up and I don't know if you could see anything inside.

I see what looks like a small transformer and a relatively large coil. I'm confused as to what does what (why I love to see clearer pics of the layout).

Update: Ah, okay - now I recognize a bit more:
View attachment 241963
Bulb's red-wire connects to the trigger coil, brown to ground, orange to primary cap(s) anode.
So tests using a diagram found in the link above:

View attachment 241965

- I'd expect somewhere near of avove 300V at RED
- Zero ohms resistance across both GREEN points
- guessing around 230V across YELLOW (fluctuating if its working -- i.e. as it charges and discharges)
- BLUE should measure to be close to the resistance value of this resistor under test.

The "G.D. DEVICE" is the spark gap BTW.

HTH
This is a really cool device worthy of working correctly...for sure :)
Thanks. The "small current sensing transformer" was completely loose in the "can". I reconnected it and it made the wind up noise. Prior to that, it made no attempts to live at all. I will get this thing to my bench and start testing. I hope the bulb isn't bad, I don't recognize it, I'll take some pics. Thanks for the info, I will update this thread.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Got it working. The strobe bulb socket was bad. It was an unusual choice for a strobe bulb. It was designed for vacuum tubes and later used for photography strobes.

Attachments

• US2087784.pdf
    504.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: RS485

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Something like this?
View attachment 242107
This is a "GE FT-217"
Pics, please :)
Pretty much, but no actual outer tube. The small transformer and the socket were both failure points as well as a questionable ground lead. They used soooooooo much silicone to hold this thing together it looked almost homemade, but the spot for the strobe is professionally cut out. The strobe bulb looks like the glass vacuum tube cover was removed, there is a lip on the bulb from where it would have been. The light is just odd; so much trouble for such a questionable product. I am going to reassemble it when the new socket I ordered arrives. Here is a video.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This is a really really neat looking strobe...and very novel in design -- I'm glad you got it working. Kudos!
Thanks. The amount of white epoxy they used was close to amateur level and made me feel less bad about rebuilding it in a similar way. I like the idea of random components from different sources being combined into a "factory" package. The vacuum tube style tube and socket were new ones for me. The fact that they very specifically cut out the metal for the bulb but it still barley cleared was also interesting. I'm glad I added it to the collection and that it is working.

Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.