New to firefighting. I am going to be volunteering!

askderek19

Sep 4, 2012
Ohio,United States
Hi everyone, the name is Derek.

I am new to this in every way.

I am going to be training to be a 36 hour firefighter starting this weekend.

I have signed a contract for a year with the dept for volunteering there.

Biggest problem is my response time.

I am the farthest out from the station by 6-14 mins depending on traffic and stoplights.

If you guys have any tips, pointers, recommendations or anything I would appreciate it.

Also if you know what would be good to equip on a 2001 dodge durango, where the best deals are to get the equipment as well.

I work for min. wage and only make about 600 a month at the moment and anyway to find the best way to get it would be nice.

Thank you for reading this!

Derek!

Dpy_miller

Feb 10, 2012
Louisiana
askderek19 said:
Chillicothe, Ross county. Southern part.

Welcome Derek. What color lights are you allowed to run? What kind of equipment are you looking for? That way it'll give some ideas to other people here as in what to offer u.

askderek19

Sep 4, 2012
Ohio,United States
Dpy_miller said:
Welcome Derek. What color lights are you allowed to run? What kind of equipment are you looking for? That way it'll give some ideas to other people here as in what to offer u.

Thank you!

And I am not sure on the colors.

I am looking for sirens, lights, whatever would be helpful.

My dept. will supply me with gear but nothing for my vehicle.

My goal is to get from my house to the dept. in the least possible amount of time with the safest options.

Dpy_miller

Feb 10, 2012
Louisiana
askderek19 said:
Thank you!
And I am not sure on the colors.

I am looking for sirens, lights, whatever would be helpful.

My dept. will supply me with gear but nothing for my vehicle.

My goal is to get from my house to the dept. in the least possible amount of time with the safest options.

Check your messages I just sent you one.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Derek, Been to your area several times. For now concentrate on getting your training in and your dept's SOPs (policies) are. The blinkies can come later, In Ohio by state law you can run Red or combo of red white amber with a siren, but your dept probably has some of its own rules on that and may require a EVOC course. Learn all you can and get thru your probationary period first. Hopefully you have some friend's or family on the department that can help you out with your questions and learning your way around. Lots to learn brother.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Couldnt agree more. Training first, winkie blinkies later. All in due time,my man. Welcome to ELB, and good luck with your training. Stay safe

J-fro

Sep 4, 2012
California
Do they allow you to show up to the scene in a POV or do you always have to go directly to the station first?

Check craigslist and the like. You never know what people will be selling on there. I found someone selling a collection of lightbars and whatnot out of a storage locker, (the collector had passed away, stuff being sold by his daughter). Bought me a Fed sig Vision bar for $80, controller, brain, and all!

But don't get all gung-ho just yet. Like others here have said, check out the rules for operating a Privately Owned Vehicle in response to calls.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
First, welcome.

Secondly, I will echo the post's above. Complete your training and probationary periods before you start spending money on lights and sirens. I'll go ahead and say it; you are untrained and inexperienced. You don't need to make the first truck. A quick response time is not need from you just yet. Though I applaud your enthusiasm, and I am happy that you want to get there as quickly and safely as possible, you still should wait to get the lights and sirens.

Thirdly, when it finally comes time to do your install, shoot me a PM. I spent a lot of time on a friends Durango that was the same year model. Went through two lightbars and a slicktop setup, so I have a fairly good idea of what works, what doesn't what is worth doing and what isn't. I'll be happy to help.

Lastly, welcome again to the site. I hope you enjoy your time here and learn a lot, and welcome to the fire service.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Derek,

As a fellow Ohio volunteer firefighter I will echo what was already been said...

1) Get your training and your probationary period behind you first.

2) A 36hr card is the bare minimum and personally I feel it's just enough to get you killed. With your 36hr training you are going to be pretty much useless so no need to make the first or even second truck out.

3) Look into your departments willingness to pay for the 120 and then the 240 training. My personal belief is no one with less then 120 should be running hot or driving rigs. Again, that my personal beliefs.

4) You can run red, red/white, or red/white/yellow.

5) Train within your department, ask, bug, and harp your line officers to help you with things. That will show you mean business and meaning business gets brownie points.

6) Show up to calls even if you cannot make trucks. Go in on your free time and go through the trucks, learn where the equipment is.

Best of luck to you and if you need any help or have questions feel free to PM me.

JCUMMINS

Mar 5, 2011
Western NY
Derek,

Aside from training and emergency equipment, you need trust. You need to earn the trust of the people you’re working with and they need to be able to trust you. As a new member, your first few months can make a lasting impression on everyone. Don’t try to be a hero when you start; come in slow, get a feel for how the agency works, listen more than you talk, help where you can and most importantly, don’t act like a gung-ho know it all. Keep in mind that your agency went on yesterday without and it will go on tomorrow without you too but now you’re there to help them.

Just my :twocents:

Joe

cfiega

Jun 10, 2012
Indiana
You are young and eager. That's good stuff. Kind of reminds me of me years ago. But you need to worry about being a firefighter first and foremost. Complete your training and learn the job. Establish a good working relationship with your staff and learn how things are done. Learn teamwork, no one man puts out a fire. Get your lights later. :thumbsup:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
theroofable said:
36 hour fire school? :ugh:

I am thinking he meant 36 hours/week. Is this a "volunteer" position Paid on Call, Paid PER call, or something to that effect??

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
theroofable said:
36 hour fire school? :ugh:

Yep that's what it is, started that in the late 70s early 80s. In today's fire service that isn't but touching the surface. But its better than when I first started there was no program at all except the 250 hour professional FF program.Most departments had in house training and CE but nothing more. OJT was the name of the game, my first fire I watched portable pumps and generators for 6 hrs. :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidey1234

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.