New Triton Speaker Concepts

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Cast aluminum - painted or anodized? 

Looks like the depth is no shallower.

Are you losing any low frequencies due to a smaller horn length?

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'm probably gonna be in the minority here, but I preferred the Typhoon over the Triton - more cone almost always equals better sound & projection.  If people are having trouble finding a place to mount the current Triton, I dunno what to say.  It's pretty damn small already.

Metal is nice, though...

Alex@Feniex

Nov 10, 2013
Austin, TX
Hey guys, check out the new facelift we are thinking about for the Feniex Triton 100w Speaker. Are you guys liking the new look? Thoughts? We want feedback before making the official move.

V2 Triton Concept.png

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
id like to see a "clamp" style mounting bracket... a U bracket on the speaker with a  separate  top piece that can be tightened with screws.... (might fit the KIA)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have installed a few of these and I can say the size update would be welcome, I have always felt the triton was just a little too big to be a "compact" speaker.   If the metal option was within $10-15 I'd likely pay the extra for it.  What would the weight difference be, anything of any consequence?  Is there any difference in output Db wise?

Last edited by a moderator:

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
Will this new speaker shroud be available for sale by itself if it makes it to production? It'd be nice for people with the old triton to have the option to swap out the shroud so it can be relocated to a smaller place--

My car won't allow it to be mounted behind the grille because of size but if it were to have a smaller bell it could be mounted there instead of behind my bumper

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I like it, but I am also worried about low frequency tone loss.

What happened to the Typhoon?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I like it, but I am also worried about low frequency tone loss.

What happened to the Typhoon?
They really never sold well. GREAT speaker.. just never caught on.... at least for my company. 

The triton outsold the typhoon 20-1 for me. Those numbers hold true even today (I still have stock of typhoons)

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I hate little speakers...... I don't think they are loud enough well the Whelen ones anyway.. Send me a free one Feniex so I can play with it and see if I like it :popcorn:   B)

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I've browsed the threads and can't find anything on this so I'll ask here.... (Feniex guys feel free to educate me... or anyone who knows)....

I've noticed that the Feniex Typhoon and the Triton have 2 very different "degrees of sound dispersion"  (175 for the Typhoon and 85 for the Triton)

What are "degrees of sound dispersion"?

I thought "the longer the bell/cone, the better it will 'project'". If I'm not misunderstanding, a smaller degree of dispersion would mean a "more narrow sound cone". Would this mean that a more narrow sound cone would theoretically project further?

Now if that is correct, here's what confuses me... the "flat" Triton has a much more narrow degree of sound dispersion than the Typhoon.... I thought the more flat the speaker, the wider the angle of sound dispersion would be, therefore making it seem less loud at a distance..... or are they the same volume at distance, just different at close angles?

I understand I'm originally from Texas, but I am confused.... *help*

Thanks in advance!!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I've browsed the threads and can't find anything on this so I'll ask here.... (Feniex guys feel free to educate me... or anyone who knows)....

I've noticed that the Feniex Typhoon and the Triton have 2 very different "degrees of sound dispersion"  (175 for the Typhoon and 85 for the Triton)

What are "degrees of sound dispersion"?

I thought "the longer the bell/cone, the better it will 'project'". If I'm not misunderstanding, a smaller degree of dispersion would mean a "more narrow sound cone". Would this mean that a more narrow sound cone would theoretically project further?

Now if that is correct, here's what confuses me... the "flat" Triton has a much more narrow degree of sound dispersion than the Typhoon.... I thought the more flat the speaker, the wider the angle of sound dispersion would be, therefore making it seem less loud at a distance..... or are they the same volume at distance, just different at close angles?

I understand I'm originally from Texas, but I am confused.... *help*

Thanks in advance!!

Any hope of getting this answered?

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hey guys, check out the new facelift we are thinking about for the Feniex Triton 100w Speaker. Are you guys liking the new look? Thoughts? We want feedback before making the official move.
Alex,
I do like the new design and compact size. I think you should look into creating a chrome version that has a bracket that enables flush bumper mounting (with a speaker grill over it) or something that's ready to recess mount (like the code 3 FM100). Since you guys are releasing larger ambulance/apparatus-type lightheads later this year, I think this will be something more in your product line to pitch to the big name fire truck and ambulance builders (ie Pierce, Horton, E-One) somewhere down the future if you guys hope to get picked up by any of them.

Another thing I think the engineers should look into is making a thinner speaker. I'm not sure if it's feasible (since it's easier to think up an idea than to be able to execute it), but there are a lot of POVs (non-Chevy/Dodge/Ford PPV-type vehicles) that have less and less space in the grill for the speaker. Currently the Triton is about the same depth as the whelen fave, but if you could shave off 1/2" and maintain the same output, that could be huge

Reactions: Surgicalcric

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I know the folks at Feniex are pretty busy so I'll say that I was able to talk to Tom yesterday and he mostly answered my question for me.... I was very wrong in my numbers in the post..... the degrees of sound dispersion are 175 for the Typhoon and 185 for the Triton (not 175 / 85); Therefore the sound output is minimally (albeit possibly noticeable) different. He did say they have put so much research into the Triton to ensure it's sound output, that it has been sent to sound research facilities (I'm guessing FedSig or someone who has the same capabilities) to make sure it isn't a "flop". I was told there was a VERY slight difference in "noticeable" sound at very specific positions around the front of the vehicle, but that it was so negligible, when you combine that with the fact that only one Typhoon was sold for every 8 Tritons, it just is not in best interest to keep producing it.... and one cannot disagree with that logic for a smaller company.

That being said, I am very excited to see how this "new & smaller" Triton will perform..... if it does, it will now be much easier to mount 2 100W speakers in tandem on the same bumper guard.

*tapping my foot*

Reactions: Tom@Feniex

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the update AJ!  Correction on the degree of dispersion. Typhoon is 75 and Triton is 85. We realize that the degree of dispersion is not quite important as size and weight of a speaker. Which reminds me that I had a customer mount Typhoons on the front end of a Kawasaki Police motorcycle. I have to say I was impressed on the installation and the outcome. 

Reactions: AJ3814

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Very cool!! Now hurry up and start shipping the new smaller Triton........ please....... Now.......... HAHA!!!!

On a serious note, I have to say that I am so impressed with you and your company's interest in the "little guy" and willingness to listen (even if only to one opinion), you have a customer for life. If you have any window stickers, or have ever thought about having some made, I'd be proud to slap one on my vehicle (and I'm NOT a sticker guy).

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
Very cool!! Now hurry up and start shipping the new smaller Triton........ please....... Now.......... HAHA!!!!

On a serious note, I have to say that I am so impressed with you and your company's interest in the "little guy" and willingness to listen (even if only to one opinion), you have a customer for life. If you have any window stickers, or have ever thought about having some made, I'd be proud to slap one on my vehicle (and I'm NOT a sticker guy).
AJ- You can bet we are working on producing stickers and some other fun, and cool merchandises to give away for fans!

Reactions: paff2 and AJ3814

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
If this does happen, how long will the "change over" take and when might you be able to guess the new smaller version would be available?

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
If this does happen, how long will the "change over" take and when might you be able to guess the new smaller version would be available?
That's a very good question. Even with my credentials here at Feniex this is privileged information they refuse to share with me! HaHa. 

Lets say hypothetically to get the ball rolling on a project like this, it involves procurement, planning, tooling, testing, etc, it can take up to 6-10 months to get the prototype.  I'm sure it's on our road map. When I hear an update you can bet I will post something up immediately. 

Reactions: AJ3814

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Awesome!! Thanks again Tom! I was wondering whether it would be weeks, months, or even a couple of years, so thanks for giving us at least something to start with!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killgolden

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.