New Whelen Rota Beam R316 and R416 LED Beacons

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Looks like a rotating LED beacon from whelen...

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
The video looks good. Wonder how much they go for?

Any idea how it works? Is it actually rotating or is it sequencing stationary LEDs?

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Lists in the $795 + range.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
One of the Engineers developed a flash rate that mimics a ratotaing beacon that is used as a guidance light at airports. Naturally this all new "rotating" flash rate had made its way into the automotive line. It really goes far beyond sequencing lights on and off. There are intensity variations worked into it as well. This is the same module that is in the new LED "Rotating" Lightbar.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Outsider said:
One of the Engineers developed a flash rate that mimics a ratotaing beacon that is used as a guidance light at airports. Naturally this all new "rotating" flash rate had made its way into the automotive line. It really goes far beyond sequencing lights on and off. There are intensity variations worked into it as well. This is the same module that is in the new LED "Rotating" Lightbar.

Which, like other whelen products before it, came from the aircraft industry. In this case the ground beacon.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/ginormous-whelen-light-emitting-diode-beacon-36855/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/new-delta-based-light-emitting-diode-rotator-bar-37112/

All the pop of mechanical movement, none of the moving parts. I hope they make a 900/600 TCL version........ :D

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Wow! That looks pretty darn good, but $795 for a single beacon is pretty strong.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
WS224 said:
Wow! That looks pretty darn good, but $795 for a single beacon is pretty strong.

MSRP... but you will see closer to mini bar prices when they sell via dealers.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
probally cost about 475

I agree, I doubt much over $500 retail. I can't wait to see whelen do what they do best.. .stick this in other products. The center of an edge... behind a 900/600 series lens....

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
That is unreal. I thought for sure in the video it was a sealed beam rotator...

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
dmathieu said:
For that kind of money you can buy a bunch of good quality, extremely bright rotating lights, or one light and 100 bulbs.
Yep. But let's face it, we're now conditioned to believe that incandescent, halogen, motorized rotators, all that's "old" and thus "bad". This is "new" and "good". ;)

Wouldn't mind trying one myself.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Hmm.. I wonder if it'll have a "2, 3, 4, or even 5" head light pattern.. to mimic the old school unitys (ie: RV26)

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Me likey..... I'd like to see pics of the R416... got some original dbl flash 360D's I'd love to replace with a similar sized unit.. :salivate:

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
dmathieu said:
For that kind of money you can buy a bunch of good quality, extremely bright rotating lights, or one light and 100 bulbs.

But I would like to see it in person!

I am with you !! Apparently there is some new Whelen Lightbar costing four grand ! For that price I would tripple stack Whelen Legacy. One white, one red and one blue

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
As much of a fan of old-school Halogen as I am......put two on a crossbar.......DROOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!! :hail: :hail:

Make some custom can lights in the middle, put some LED Fog light style bulbs in there........

Tell me that wouldn't look bad ass. All chromed out, old school looks, new school efficiency.

I would drive that setup every day, all day. Put my firebeams on the dash and deck, of course. And some halogen flashers on the back.....LAWS......

And I'm spent.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
SSgt Elmer said:
As much of a fan of old-school Halogen as I am......put two on a crossbar.......DROOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!! :hail: :hail:

Make some custom can lights in the middle, put some LED Fog light style bulbs in there........

Tell me that wouldn't look bad ass. All chromed out, old school looks, new school efficiency.

I would drive that setup every day, all day. Put my firebeams on the dash and deck, of course. And some halogen flashers on the back.....LAWS......

And I'm spent.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Get outta my head!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
SSgt Elmer said:

And I'm spent.

Must make modern LED based cross bar.... must make modern LED based cross bar... must.... :drooling:

Two of these and two can lights with extended lens GEN 3 par36 LEDs. What to put in place of the speaker? They are an OSHA non-no. Maybe some sort of remote spotlight?

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I've been milling that idea around since first time I saw an old school bar... First thought SLR pods... until the $$$ tag lol

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
JohnMarcson said:
Must make modern LED based cross bar.... must make modern LED based cross bar... must.... :drooling:

Two of these and two can lights with extended lens GEN 3 par36 LEDs. What to put in place of the speaker? They are an OSHA non-no. Maybe some sort of remote spotlight?

I figure the speaker is just there for looks - that should be fine. I wouldn't want the noisy thing above my head either.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Firefly Berlin said:
How about a big LED worklight/ takedown in a CP 100 speaker housing? :undecided:

When these things come down a bit in price, I think I have a project. :D

That sounds good too! We should have a cross bar project contest if they become cheap enough! I was thinking can lights and micro pioneers.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
I will buy one, hopefully I get the job I just interviewed for, and I'll mount it on my patrol car in a heartbeat.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Any idea when these will be available...? it doesnt appear to have the branch guard as an option. Kinda pricey to not have protection lol

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Damn it not cheap!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Any pics yet?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.