Newbie needs mancave help

Biz_Bomb

Sep 11, 2023
SD
Recently purchased a perfect working condition Code 3 LP6000 light bar to hang in my man cave as party decor.

2 questions.

1) What do I need to convert this to 110 power so I can just plug it into an outlet for power?

2) To minimize power consumption and conversion…what are some good LED replacement bulbs for the 795’s in it that will still work on 110?

If anyone has any other useful advice I’m all ears! It has a working siren as well that would be fun to have the ability to activate once-in-a-while too if possible. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7516.jpeg
    IMG_7516.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 16

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Welcome! This thread (linked below) has a TON of information on how to run lightbars on household current.

Reactions: Sparky_911

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Welcome! Yes, check out the thread that Tony P linked above. For your wants, one of the PC power supply methods would likely work best.

Any automotive LED will be suitable for indoor use. They, despite being LEDs, will seem drastically dimmer than the halogens as the rotator reflectors are not optimized for the way LED bulbs are made compared to the traditional halogen filament.

As for using the siren... I am assuming you mean that it has a speaker still installed in the center grill. That alone will not produce a siren tone. It needs a siren amplifier to produce the tone and then that speaker will emit it.

If you want to go all out, I have a siren amp / light switch combo for sale here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threa...-light-and-siren-controller.95750/post-698891

You could then hook the lightbar and speaker to this switch box, then the power supply to it and have an easy way to turn on the lights and separate activation for the siren as you please.

Reactions: Biz_Bomb
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Couple of quick bits. The rotators and bulbs will only run off 12 volt system (best to adjust the voltage to 14). The way you worded your post made me wonder if you were thinking of putting leds in that run off 110, no no!

My recommendation would be to use a lower wattage halogen bulb (like 1156 or 93) as opposed to LED replacements. If you really want an LED replacement, get one with a very warm color temperature as color filters will throw the colors off.

Reactions: Biz_Bomb and jdh

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Couple of quick bits. The rotators and bulbs will only run off 12 volt system (best to adjust the voltage to 14). The way you worded your post made me wonder if you were thinking of putting leds in that run off 110, no no!

My recommendation would be to use a lower wattage halogen bulb (like 1156 or 93) as opposed to LED replacements. If you really want an LED replacement, get one with a very warm color temperature as color filters will throw the colors off.
It looks as if the rotators have the H-1 bulbs. Need better pictures. If that is the case, he may have to go the LED route, since I have not been able to locate a lower wattage H-1, hence stuck with the 55W halogens.

But overall the domes appear to be in excellent shape considering how old that line of bars are.

Biz_Bomb

Sep 11, 2023
SD
Welcome! Yes, check out the thread that Tony P linked above. For your wants, one of the PC power supply methods would likely work best.

Any automotive LED will be suitable for indoor use. They, despite being LEDs, will seem drastically dimmer than the halogens as the rotator reflectors are not optimized for the way LED bulbs are made compared to the traditional halogen filament.

As for using the siren... I am assuming you mean that it has a speaker still installed in the center grill. That alone will not produce a siren tone. It needs a siren amplifier to produce the tone and then that speaker will emit it.

If you want to go all out, I have a siren amp / light switch combo for sale here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threa...-light-and-siren-controller.95750/post-698891

You could then hook the lightbar and speaker to this switch box, then the power supply to it and have an easy way to turn on the lights and separate activation for the siren as you please.
Thanks for the reply! Great advice on the LED bulbs and yes…I meant speaker not siren. I’m obviously not versed in all things “light bar” Lol

The switch combo you have for sale is very intriguing! I assume that will wire up to my light easily and I can make the LP6000 function off it?

Will the switch and light BOTH be able to be converted to run off household current? TIA

Biz_Bomb

Sep 11, 2023
SD

In my mind I was thinking LED bulbs would decrease the power required to hopefully convert to household current. But, if you’re saying the LEDs won’t run off household properly…searching out lower wattage halogens is fine. I don’t think I need to blind my friends when it’s running Lol.

Biz_Bomb

Sep 11, 2023
SD
It looks as if the rotators have the H-1 bulbs. Need better pictures. If that is the case, he may have to go the LED route, since I have not been able to locate a lower wattage H-1, hence stuck with the 55W halogens.

But overall the domes appear to be in excellent shape considering how old that line of bars are.
Here’s some better pics of the rotators and bulbs. The bulbs say Sylvania 795 on them

Attachments

• IMG_7529.jpeg
    IMG_7529.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7530.jpeg
    IMG_7530.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7531.jpeg
    IMG_7531.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
What you need to do is get a converter that changes 110v ac to 12v dc then hook up what you have to that. You would not be changing the bulbs (or any of the other parts to 110v. Charging your cell phone at home is the same principal. A device plugs into the wall outlet and converts the output power to a specific value.

as for the bulbs, they make ones that draw less power then the 795. LEDs will draw much less but the difference between a 10 or 20 amp supply will be minimal.

The thread Tony posted has a ton of information on supplies and setups. You should be able to get a supply that would run that bar as is for $30. Proper wiring and connections are important too but not rocket science.

Hope that helps a bit.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Here’s some better pics of the rotators and bulbs. The bulbs say Sylvania 795 on them
The bulbs you show are the bayonet base 50 watt halogen bulbs. Jennifer Rose Towing said it best, go with the # 93 bulb. You can get them anywhere.

The 50 watt bulbs draw around 4.2 amps each x 4 = 16 amps + motors. So lets say the bar will draw 20 amps when it is all said and done. If you replace the 55 watt bulbs with the # 93 bulb (which draws 1 amp)... lets say the bar now uses 5 amps total, you can now use a 300 watt computer power supply. And they are cheap.

That looks to be a new bar. Nice find. Those are the original metal rotators. One side note, you do not want to handle halogen bulbs (all halogen bulbs in general) with bare hands. Use a paper towel. The oils from your hands stick to the bulb, and because the bulbs get super hot, they can explode.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Thanks for the reply! Great advice on the LED bulbs and yes…I meant speaker not siren. I’m obviously not versed in all things “light bar” Lol

The switch combo you have for sale is very intriguing! I assume that will wire up to my light easily and I can make the LP6000 function off it?

Will the switch and light BOTH be able to be converted to run off household current? TIA
You're welcome. The siren amp would pull 8 amps using it with a 100watt speaker (something to keep in mind when selecting a power supply). Yes, wiring your lightbar to it is fairly straight forward. On an overly simplified level, think of it as a plain switch that the power runs through and turns the lightbar on or off. You would connect your power supply (converts household current down to 12volts) to the siren amp/control box and then the lightbar to the control box switch. Two speaker wires connect to the siren amp wires and you should be set.

Biz_Bomb

Sep 11, 2023
SD
The bulbs you show are the bayonet base 50 watt halogen bulbs. Jennifer Rose Towing said it best, go with the # 93 bulb. You can get them anywhere.

The 50 watt bulbs draw around 4.2 amps each x 4 = 16 amps + motors. So lets say the bar will draw 20 amps when it is all said and done. If you replace the 55 watt bulbs with the # 93 bulb (which draws 1 amp)... lets say the bar now uses 5 amps total, you can now use a 300 watt computer power supply. And they are cheap.

That looks to be a new bar. Nice find. Those are the original metal rotators. One side note, you do not want to handle halogen bulbs (all halogen bulbs in general) with bare hands. Use a paper towel. The oils from your hands stick to the bulb, and because the bulbs get super hot, they can explode.
Appreciate the explanation!

You happen to have a sample link for a 300W computer supply power source I could reference!?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I would recommend a power supply with 40-50% more capacity then you need. This will help them run cooler and put less stress on it.

For a bar like yours, I would look into some amazon power supplies. Just search "12 volt power supply" and you will get ones fitting the profile in the link below. If you do get one, I have a few other simple and recommend tips for hooking up.

Biz_Bomb

Sep 11, 2023
SD
I would recommend a power supply with 40-50% more capacity then you need. This will help them run cooler and put less stress on it.

For a bar like yours, I would look into some amazon power supplies. Just search "12 volt power supply" and you will get ones fitting the profile in the link below. If you do get one, I have a few other simple and recommend tips for hooking up.

That’s the thing…I don’t know what capacity I need Lol. My bar has 4 (795) halogen bulbs with rotator motors. What do they all draw combined!?

Also, I had some LED bulbs laying around that actually fit and light up! Guessing they take much less power and they throw enough light for my liking.

I would LOVE any help or tips you can provide!! Thank you!

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
If you like the LEDs you have there already, I would use them! My guess is that they draw less then an amp each. While using them running the bar I would be very surprised if the whole thing drew 5 amps.

Otherwise, with the 795 bulbs you would be running around 16 amps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.