Nova Scotia restricts possession of "police items"

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Looks like they consulted eBay for this one. It immediately contradicts itself and doesn't define or understand the items it regulates.

The FAQ mentions lights quite a bit, and contradicts the law too. The law mentions lights once; “police-vehicle marking means the marking, signage, decals and blue lightbar placed on a vehicle that identifies the vehicle as a marked police vehicle;"

From the FAQ​

Vehicles​

You can’t possess any police vehicle markings (like decals and blue light bar) and vehicle equipment from any police agency in Canada from any point in time. This includes light bars and police decals. Only those authorized by the Police Identity Management Act can possess these items.

They mention blue lights several times in the FAQ but no other colors, so does changing to red mean they are no longer police items?

Collectors​

You will no longer be permitted to buy or sell police items currently in use by a police agency in Canada. You will also no longer be permitted to possess police items currently in use by a police agency in Canada (so is it any equipment from any time or only current equipment?) unless you make them unserviceable. The law says "unserviceable means permanently altered such that ..... could not reasonably be confused with a police article or police uniform;" How do you make a lightbar "unserviceable"? Get red lenses? Hard mount it to a wall? The law seems to try to regulate use/mounting but goes after possession.

The FAQ is a mess, written by someone who didn't read the law by the looks of it. The actual law is more aimed at uniforms, badges, decals etc and mentions "blue lightbars" one time. I doubt this means a whole lot for anyone collecting lightbars, but it could impact people doing business in used bars that are current production. It is nice to see that the USA isn't the only country that laughably thinks people will surrender items that were perfectly legal last week and now aren't.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I oh that was sarcasm by the way
Yeah, the sarcasm came through the text loud and clear on this one.

I'm sure there was some rare incident that brought this about, but even if there was a police impersonator epidemic this law is not the answer. Trying to regulate inanimate objects rather than actions of humans is a pretty classic legislative failure.

What this actually means for light collection is debatable, but since the law mentions "blue lightbars" (once), then "currently in use" before disclaiming all of it with "unless made unserviceable"... I wouldn't be too worried. I probably wouldn't go bolting a blue modern LED bar to my decommissioned RCMP car, but my collection would otherwise remain uninterrupted.

In the United States there is a tradition of taking garbage unserviceable firearms to buy-back programs in order to receive cash to buy usable firearms. Maybe some of our Canadian friends can take their non-working Wolo lights to government buyback days and get enough money to buy a nice beacon ray.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Not debating the merits of the law, but for context I believe this incident is what started the law:

Agreed, a likely culprit. Unfortunately there are too many impersonator issues in the US and Canada. I wish society could respond in a more meaningful way that addressed the perpetrators not the equipment in a sweeping way.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
But they #didsomething, and thus feel vindicated.

When my daughter was a baby and she #didsomething we held our nose and changed her. Politicians try and make political capital with it.

Reactions: stansdds

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
But they #didsomething, and thus feel vindicated.

When my daughter was a baby and she #didsomething we held our nose and changed her. Politicians try and make political capital with it.
Yup. And I will add nothing more because it has now been said.

Reactions: Tango7

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I'm sure there was some rare incident that brought this about
Yes there was. A man impersonating an RCMP officer went on a murderous rampage and killed 22 people in Nova Scotia. He was driving a very good replica of an RCMP patrol car.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yes there was. A man impersonating an RCMP officer went on a murderous rampage and killed 22 people in Nova Scotia. He was driving a very good replica of an RCMP patrol car.
Which means we absolutely have to limit law abiding citizens from having the items that he in any way used in committing these crimes because he would never have obtained them illegally; he seems like he cared about laws *sarcasm*.

Of course we need to make sure that the people writing the law have little to no understanding of the subject matter so the terminology can be incorrect, contradict itself, and render any possibly marginal benefit moot.

Another "look we did something about it" law. At least the US isn't the only country with this reactive and ineffective legislative response cycle. Meanwhile the average citizen is still paying a third of their income on their "hydro" bill because there is no time to look into that issue with a single police impersonator mainiac previously on the loose once.

If it makes anyone feel better the law seems to only cover blue lights currently in use by law enforcement in Canada, so I don't think it really even applies to most collectable lights. Badge collectors on the other hand may need to invest in resin to encase their "post ban" badges, and anyone with a uniform has to cut the legs off the pants to length that renders them clearly unofficial for the climate.

Season6_Dangle_0171_PRESS.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.