NYPD Interceptor/Fusion NEW ESCAPE

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Ford has gotten real anal with the new headlight housings on the PI, there is not a lot more you can do other then the pre-LAW holes.

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
lafd55 said:
Ford has gotten real anal with the new headlight housings on the PI, there is not a lot more you can do other then the pre-LAW holes.

Take a look at the video of the SDPD Police Interceptor SUV on another posting.....now that one has some good LAW placement !!

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
That's the factory made hold for LAWs in the Explorer, it's just different because the housing is different.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
iceman4122 said:
Haven't gotten one of those yet. Maybe will get some for the jouvet/labor day weekend. Ill post what I can get.

Ill be back to work Next Monday after Vacation, ill snap some then if you dont get them first, we just got one assigned to us like less than a month ago.

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
http://s382.photobucke

Iceman. You able to snap any shots of the Fusions interior?

Behold fusion interior pics. A huge improvement in size and power compared to older models but still lacks in size. You gotta fit your hand under the computer to put the car into gear making a U turn is very interesting. Also have to fit your hand to the right of the steering wheel to pull the latch that exposes the radio etc and you turn on the wipers each time. Car looks good and drives well. Have to see how it holds. Enjoy!

[img'>http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/iceman4122/20130830_071017_zps1a102c36.jpg

20130830_071004_zps4405f8de.jpg

ai382.photobucket.com_albums_oo263_iceman4122_20130830_071113_zps2dbf3d10.jpg

Blaine B.

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
That looks like one awkward interior setup!

NYPD usually runs two officers per car, right? Is that why they chose to put the computer where it is, versus in a more traditional spot over the "knees" of the passenger?

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Thanks Iceman,

The ones with the computers are very cluttered inside, but a definate improvement form the older Fusions. The one i got has no computer in it, and thus allowing you more room. Sorry for the Crappy pics took them on i-phone..

photo-10.jpgphoto-10.jpgphoto-10.jpg

EDIT** Dont know why pics uploaded multiple times, or sideways sorry about that, on my phone and CPU they are fine... But just to give u an idea for the interior

image-11.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-15.jpg

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Blaine B. said:
What do you do without a computer?

Rely on central (dispatcher) to run names/license and repeat jobs. Giving them out fully and accurately

Or another computer car that can do it for you if central is busy. The computers r very helpful to have in my opinion for jobs.

You can ge the particulars down to where they called from/Phoenix #

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Blaine B. said:
What do you do without a computer?

He keeps an actual deck of cards in the glove box and plays solitaire on the hood in between calls... DUH!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
flahotrod said:
Great pics and great information. Forgive my ignorance, but what does "10-84 Stop the Clock" mean?

I think that is a reminder to mark out upon arrival of a call. Helps the brass track response times, and work with compstat and CAD.

dovy6

May 18, 2011
Brooklyn
10-88 is an EMS code. I think sometimes people don't realize how many cops only know pd codes, and emts that only know ems codes, firemen fd codes.

Some of the codes are the same across the board, but most of them mean different things on different services, and most MOS who aren't buffs dont know all the codes

May 27, 2013
NY
dovy6 said:
10-88 is an EMS code. I think sometimes people don't realize how many cops only know pd codes, and emts that only know ems codes, firemen fd codes.

Some of the codes are the same across the board, but most of them mean different things on different services, and most MOS who aren't buffs dont know all the codes

I figured 88 was a PD code too. I know that Fire has their own codes but I think many EMS and PD codes have the most in common. I do know some that are different though, like a "55" is a PD unit getting cancelled, and "87" is an EMS unit getting cancelled, etc. EMS doesn't use 88 anymore, we use 84, but it used to be 88 and 84 interchangeably for EMS from what I understand.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
FollowingNFront said:
I figured 88 was a PD code too. I know that Fire has their own codes but I think many EMS and PD codes have the most in common. I do know some that are different though, like a "55" is a PD unit getting cancelled, and "87" is an EMS unit getting cancelled, etc. EMS doesn't use 88 anymore, we use 84, but it used to be 88 and 84 interchangeably for EMS from what I understand.

thats why i was confused, im familiar with some EMS codes, and working w/ ems alot, i have only heard them only use 84, never heard 88, but hey learn somethin new everyday

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
FollowingNFront said:

A few corrections/clarification.

10-88 was the NYC*EMS (prior to FDNY takeover) radio signal for "announce arrival at scene". It was changed to 10-84 to be consistent with the FDNY radio signal for the same meaning.

10-55 in the NYPD is or was "ambulance case, routine sick at home, RMP not needed". I understand now it's been expanded to be used outside of a residence too.

10-87 was and still is the NYC*EMS radio signal for "cancel". FDNY has no equivalent radio signal, though 10-18 is close- "return all units except 1 eng and 1 lad".

NYPD uses radio signal 10-80 for "cancel".

Hope this helps

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
Ive been hearing the whole fleet is going to the interceptor. The hybrids are too expensive to fix and most of the mechanics arent trained on large repairs. Also heard once the 2013 impalas are all deployed they arent buying anymore.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
one11sgt said:
Ive been hearing the whole fleet is going to the interceptor. The hybrids are too expensive to fix and most of the mechanics arent trained on large repairs. Also heard once the 2013 impalas are all deployed they arent buying anymore.

Yeah the thing '13 impala thing is true, they are not going to purchase anymore. I was told they will stick with some interceptors, and mostly hybrids. But things could ahve changed and they could be ruling them out. So no more impalas for us, boy if they went all to interceptors we would have some happy campers......And tossed out this cargo pants nonsense

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
Alboy29 said:
Yeah the thing '13 impala thing is true, they are not going to purchase anymore. I was told they will stick with some interceptors, and mostly hybrids. But things could ahve changed and they could be ruling them out. So no more impalas for us, boy if they went all to interceptors we would have some happy campers......And tossed out this cargo pants nonsense

That would be great. The rumor mill says its costing them more to service the hybrids then they are saving in gas costs so they are done. Seems like they are buying new ones so who knows. If Chief Banks has his way, the cargo pants are also on their way out the door.

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
one11sgt said:

As of now, there aren't any next generation Impala police package cars. Not sure if the current body style is carrying over into 2014 for police and fleet sales, but I know the new body style doesn't have a package car yet. Anyone know if Chevrolet will put one out?

Also, has anyone seen any of the PIs and Impalas with Valor bars on the streets yet?

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
mayhemnyc said:
As of now, there aren't any next generation Impala police package cars. Not sure if the current body style is carrying over into 2014 for police and fleet sales, but I know the new body style doesn't have a package car yet. Anyone know if Chevrolet will put one out?

Also, has anyone seen any of the PIs and Impalas with Valor bars on the streets yet?

Nope, There is no more impala after '13.. for us...

I have not seen any of the valor cars, i dont know if maybe they keep them for testing @ Floydd bennet and other spots, but none on the road i have ever seen.

@111Sgt i just spoke to my buddy he said they have ordered more interceptors, patrol is getting the cheaper one, and HWY gets the bigger engine

AS for the the interceptor Utilities, they are replacing the TEV Truck Enforcement Vehicles. They do Big Rig enforcement, Hazmat etc. They are with Highway Patrol,

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
For model year 2014 Chevrolet re-designed the retail Impala but are continuing the current platform for Police and Fleet only, so there will actually exist 2 completely different vehicle models in 2014. As I understand it the Police/Fleet Impala will be cancelled after the 2014 model year leaving only the Caprice PPV, Tahoe PPV and SSV.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
CHIEFOPS said:
For model year 2014 Chevrolet re-designed the retail Impala but are continuing the current platform for Police and Fleet only, so there will actually exist 2 completely different vehicle models in 2014. As I understand it the Police/Fleet Impala will be cancelled after the 2014 model year leaving only the Caprice PPV, Tahoe PPV and SSV.

I heard the same thing. The police/ fleet Impala will be known as the limited.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
Alboy29 said:
Nope, There is no more impala after '13.. for us...

I have not seen any of the valor cars, i dont know if maybe they keep them for testing @ Floydd bennet and other spots, but none on the road i have ever seen.

@111Sgt i just spoke to my buddy he said they have ordered more interceptors, patrol is getting the cheaper one, and HWY gets the bigger engine

AS for the the interceptor Utilities, they are replacing the TEV Truck Enforcement Vehicles. They do Big Rig enforcement, Hazmat etc. They are with Highway Patrol,

What did he say about the fusions? They sticking with them also or strictly the interceptors? Btw tell him to tell them to get rid of the viper rear deck lights lol THEY SUCK!!

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
one11sgt said:
What did he say about the fusions? They sticking with them also or strictly the interceptors? Btw tell him to tell them to get rid of the viper rear deck lights lol THEY SUCK!!

He told me "They ordered a shit load more of interceptors" "The Hybrids are all civilian cars, too expensive to fix"

I told him about the vipers he said FS has fixed them in newer cars, but who knows, i have seen and driven on a daily basis RMPs that have on both deck lights maybe 2 red, and 5 blue? AT best.... We will have 2 see what happens about those

I almost wish they would use Avengers, or hell i dont give a shit, put a FS Micropulse in there, or an Impaxx just something.. that works..

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Alboy29 said:
He told me "They ordered a shit load more of interceptors" "The Hybrids are all civilian cars, too expensive to fix"
I told him about the vipers he said FS has fixed them in newer cars, but who knows, i have seen and driven on a daily basis RMPs that have on both deck lights maybe 2 red, and 5 blue? AT best.... We will have 2 see what happens about those

I almost wish they would use Avengers, or hell i dont give a shit, put a FS Micropulse in there, or an Impaxx just something.. that works..

GOOD. The hybrids make me angry every time I see them. They should be using police vehicles as police vehicles, not civilian vehicles as police vehicles.

And what exactly is up with the extreme failure rate of the Vipers? They make the RMP's look sloppy and they're a waste of money. And nearly every RMP I've seen has at least a few LED's out.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
lotsofbars said:
GOOD. The hybrids make me angry every time I see them. They should be using police vehicles as police vehicles, not civilian vehicles as police vehicles.

And what exactly is up with the extreme failure rate of the Vipers? They make the RMP's look sloppy and they're a waste of money. And nearly every RMP I've seen has at least a few LED's out.

It is the soldering or some other paste that is on the board for the LED's... The LEDS dont burn out per say, they just have bad contact with the board, and after sitting in the sun all day or whatever the case is, due to heat and extreme vibrations they fail...

I actually did not know this up until the other day, but my friend tells me the Vipers are Spec'd for NYPD, if that is true, maybe something was done with them differently in production that has led to this problem? Im not too sure, but the quick and easy fix is to hit the viper a few times and then they usually all work (until the next pothole, or response)

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
Alboy29 said:
It is the soldering or some other paste that is on the board for the LED's... The LEDS dont burn out per say, they just have bad contact with the board, and after sitting in the sun all day or whatever the case is, due to heat and extreme vibrations they fail...

I actually did not know this up until the other day, but my friend tells me the Vipers are Spec'd for NYPD, if that is true, maybe something was done with them differently in production that has led to this problem? Im not too sure, but the quick and easy fix is to hit the viper a few times and then they usually all work (until the next pothole, or response)

I thought it was because they were spec'd for us to, but I have also seen forward facing red/white units failing . I dont think they were spec'd for us since they have a working pattern selector. I hope hes right about the problem being fixed but the newest RMP in my command was only with us a month when one failed and its a 2013. Ive found that if you open the light head and take the unit out, bend the outsides down as far as you can with it still being able to be put back in the housing, it will make the light head work properly again, at least for a while.

I dont understand why they just dont go with the rear deck lights highway uses (dont know the model) in all the RMPs ,they never fail and work great.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
That would be nice however highway uses slim lighters (from Whelen) they are only used because one day somebody put one in an rmp. And the highway CO loved it. Ever since then they now all have them. They are specially wired and done to sync with each other. Since the dept has such a huge contract with FS they prob get the vipers 10x cheaper and with less wiring work

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
Alboy29 said:
That would be nice however highway uses slim lighters (from Whelen) they are only used because one day somebody put one in an rmp. And the highway CO loved it. Ever since then they now all have them. They are specially wired and done to sync with each other. Since the dept has such a huge contract with FS they prob get the vipers 10x cheaper and with less wiring work

Lol yea CHEAPER being the key word. I really hope they fix the issue, It looks absolutely terrible. They should be replacing all of them during the PMs, whether they have failed or not, cause they def will eventually.

May 27, 2013
NY
Alboy29 said:

I've seen some ESU vehicles with Slimlighters too. They do look great.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Just wondering why did they stick to the 2013 Impala and not order the Caprice. I hope they get rid of the Cargo Pants. Its PD not EMS.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.