NYPD LED matrix board

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
The NYPD is using their LED Matrix board for a while, but why did they start using it? I have actually never found an answer on the web.
And how many messages can they display? I’ve seen some with ‘NYPD’ and ‘MOVE OVER ITS THE LAW’.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Why they started using it is self-evident, it's a message board. When I can't specifically remember but to my memory it wasn't earlier than 2010. The mistake I think they made was blue instead of amber, the blue is illegible beyond a short distance from the RMP's rear.

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
Why they started using it is self-evident, it's a message board. When I can't specifically remember but to my memory it wasn't earlier than 2010. The mistake I think they made was blue instead of amber, the blue is illegible beyond a short distance from the RMP's rear.
But why did they retire the arrow stick? It seems to me that its better visible on a highway or busy road than a message board. At least for the highway units then.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
I remember seeing the blue message board around 2011 2012 in NY. I think I remarked on the forum at the time that the message sign was illegible until really close . Here now in Australia the boards are used extensively but have moved to an amber Led display which has a better visibility and contrast when you have red blue warning lights.

Reactions: Peanutman

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
I remember seeing the blue message board around 2011 2012 in NY. I think I remarked on the forum at the time that the message sign was illegible until really close . Here now in Australia the boards are used extensively but have moved to an amber Led display which has a better visibility and contrast when you have red blue warning lights.
We have the same in the Netherlands. Our police and customs vehicles are equipped with a red message board that says if the driver needs to stop or to follow the officer. It is only visible from up close like your amber led displays

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
But why did they retire the arrow stick? It seems to me that its better visible on a highway or busy road than a message board. At least for the highway units then.
Slow speed dense traffic with high number of pedestrians. A message is more important than an arrow. Also the direction that traffic is routed at any given time isn't as easy as an arrow stick direction in NYC. An arrow isn't going to accomplish what you need, at least text can try.

The color is terrible. Amber is so much easier to read. I'm sure they wanted to be "just a little different" like everything else.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Fun useless fact... NYPD's version of the MB1 is a specific part number just for NYPD. The MB1-NYPD1...

2K each built into the bid as a package with all of the warning equipment..about 7000 of the 9000 have them...and the reason is someone at 1PP liked them...sooooooo...poof! Every one of the junk get them...

You have to turn it on manually or it comes on when you slide to 3.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
The NYPD is using their LED Matrix board for a while, but why did they start using it? I have actually never found an answer on the web.
And how many messages can they display? I’ve seen some with ‘NYPD’ and ‘MOVE OVER ITS THE LAW’.
Maybe some New York people can help on this:

I believe New York only allows Red and White emergency lights? There was a push to get Blue years back?

That may be why the Message Board is Blue, like only the Rear facing ends on the SLR Vision are Blue ... like "We will do this and no one will complain."

I can't read blue business signs, either. I even got Chacho the Dog a Blue light up collar, and it was so blurry looking that I got him a Red one instead.

LuckyRedHat

Jun 24, 2019
New Zealand
Same with New Zealand. We use them mainly on our Motorway Patrol and our Highway Patrol vehicles. You guys and us use the Code 3 M5 Message Display which in my opinion is far better than FedSig's message board or D&R's message board. The C3 M5 allows messages to be read up to 100 meters, and from acute angles. the readability of message boards from acute angles is essential, especially when the vehicle is parked in a fend-off position. Plus, the M5's programming is VERY easy to use,

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.