NYPD Undercover Taxi-IS THIS REAL?

May 22, 2010
New York City
they had a decomissioned nypd taxi at the auction yesterday, i was so tempted to buy it.............

but i wound up buying a MTA police impala

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
fireman616wfd said:
i would hate to be put on "TAXI Duty" lol however I bet they stay busy...

"Taxi duty" is actually street level anticrime. Not bad an assignment.

therepoman

Oct 10, 2010
phila pa usa
here in philly the police use to have a tx squad they were regular cops assigned to enforce taxi laws and keep a eye on cabbies during the huge spree of cab robberies in the late 80's they had 4 marked pd cars and two unmarked taxi's lettered like real cabs they were painted in fact in my dads old cab companys colors philly uses all kinds of municpial vehicles as uc cars gas and electric company vehicles mainly. now taxi enforcement is handled by the parking authority and they just have marked impalas.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As someone noted, the use of taxi cabs originated with the original Citywide Anti Crime Unit in the early 70s, which then became known as the Street Crime Unit, and expanded to pct Anti Crime Units. Street Crime then created a dedicated Taxi Unit. With the disbandment of the Street Crime Unit and it's personell distributed to newly established Boroughwide Anti Crime Units, the Taxi Squad now stands on it's own. Initially intended to reduce taxi robberies in the violent 70s by placing camaflauged plainclothesman in the same enviornment as taxis, their value was realized and expanded to generalized Anti Crime patrol.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
And if the cop is broke, he can always pick up an extra fare or two to help out.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
BigWil said:
And if the cop is broke, he can always pick up an extra fare or two to help out.

:undecided: Sounds like a good idea, but I kinda doubt that, seems like it'd get in the way of doing their cop duties.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
nerdly_dood said:
:undecided: Sounds like a good idea, but I kinda doubt that, seems like it'd get in the way of doing their cop duties.

Why not? Better yet, pickup the person your watching and you can watch them closer. Great UC unit.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
50theman said:

Never, ever link to photos from that site - always rehost them with Imgur or Photobucket. If you don't, that happens.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
CPDG23 said:
View attachment 29319

Dallas PD.

Aggressive driving task force

No sir. Yes it is Dallas PD, however that car was part of a nation wide drunk driving awareness campaign paid with federal money. LE agencies that participated offered up the vehicle, and half the car was wrapped to look like a taxi. The cars were parked in stratigic locations, in Dallas that would be near the different bar and club areas throughout the city. That specific car is a 2003 Crown Vic that was converted to CNG. The majority of 2003 Crown Vics in DPD were converted to CNG, and no one wanted to drive them. They were originally sent to patrol, where they collected dust. Then offered to SWAT, who declined due to no trunk space and the lack of available CNG stations. They then came to traffic, for the accident investigators, who took great thrill in having them towed after they ran out of fuel sitting at an accident scene for 5 hours. Finally the CNG cars were sent to Love Field airport, where someone had the very smart idea of parking them in the bottom of the parking garage, where they sat until a heavy rain storm flooded the bottom level, and the cars! The hand full that were left were sent back to patrol to be used as decoy cars that were stripped of radio's, camera's, and MDC's, and parked at various store parking lots to deter crime.

DPD does not do have an aggressive driving 'task force'. There are unmarked white Impala's in each patrol station that are strictly for traffic enforcement, while responding to priority calls as cover elements. It is most commonly called STARR, Stratigicly Targeting Road Rage. STARR was big in the late 90's with unmarked dark blue Crown Vics. Every once in a while, a group of patrol officers and a few traffic officers will do a street racing detail. And we have Home for the Holidays from Thanksgiving to New Years, and the weekends of Labor, Memorial, and July 4th.

And now my daughter is done with her homework, so away I go!

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Was down in NYC yesterday and saw a NYPD Altima Taxi. Pretty simple lighting, with red vertexes in the front and blue vertexes in the reverse lights and red in the taillights.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
NYPD has been using mock taxis since the 1970s, maybe earlier. I don't know about current practice, but they used to be identifiable because they had genuine Taxi & Limousine roof signs and registration plates, but not hood medallions.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Oh yeah, there are a lot of NYPD taxis. To the untrained eye (ie most of the population) they blend right in. I was on 5th Ave a few weeks ago on my bike and there was one performing traffic stops on the street. Very effective method of policing.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
lotsofbars said:
Very effective method of policing.

I Disagree with that. Most of the time, the public is confused as to what a taxicab with a dash light is doing behind them, & there's very little lighting on it to be effective for most policing. Personally, I'd rather have unmarked, inconspicuous vehicles without any markings on them for daily policing and traffic stops, and have several taxis on hand just for stings and surveillance where you're unlikely to ever respond code 3 or pull someone over.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As someone else noted, the concept of unmarked police cars as taxis in the NYPD dates back to the early 70s. However, it was never intended to be used for traffic enforcement.

In 1971 the NYPD established the 'Citywide Anti Crime Unit' of plain-clothed officers and unmarked cars to combat the rise of violent street crime, in particular, armed robberies ("muggings"). The results were so succesfull they expanded the concept to precinct Anti Crime Units, renaming the Citywide unit simply the 'Street Crime Unit'.

With a rise in taxi robberies, the Street Crime Unit created a sub-unit called the 'Taxi Robbery Unit' so plain-clothed officers operating taxis could more easily monitor taxi drivers up close without revealing themselves until neccessary- perfect camoflauge. Another successful SCU sub-unit was the 'Decoy Unit' which was disbanded after a Transit Police Decoy Unit scandal in the late 80s.

In the late 80s or early 90s precincts started regularly receiving a taxi as part of their Anti Crime fleet.

The Street Crime Unit was disbanded in the wake of the Diallo shooting and it's personnel and vehicles distributed to the eight Patrol Borough commands to establish 'Patrol Borough Anti Crime' units.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
pdk9 said:
I Disagree with that. Most of the time, the public is confused as to what a taxicab with a dash light is doing behind them, & there's very little lighting on it to be effective for most policing. Personally, I'd rather have unmarked, inconspicuous vehicles without any markings on them for daily policing and traffic stops, and have several taxis on hand just for stings and surveillance where you're unlikely to ever respond code 3 or pull someone over.

The officers are often in uniform in the taxis, at least in Manhattan. Also, they have a pretty extensive strobe system in the head, tail and roof sign lights. Those along with a HLF and red grill lights and it's pretty obvious that they're police.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
lotsofbars said:
The officers are often in uniform in the taxis, at least in Manhattan. Also, they have a pretty extensive strobe system in the head, tail and roof sign lights. Those along with a HLF and red grill lights and it's pretty obvious that they're police.

I've seen them a bunch of times and i know that the officers are in uniform, but:

A) most people don't see an officer in uniform in their RVM when he activates the lights. They just see a taxi with some lights, and they don't know what's going on until they stop and a uniformed LE walks up to their window

B) the "strobe system" is all clear strobes and amber strobes (in the roof turn signals), and most ppl aren't that bright, so I'll bet you that > 2/3 of the ppl pulled over are confused or suspicious when the unit pulls up behind them. Only whackers, LE, and other people that work in Public safety and have heard of the concept will know that a taxi w/ some lights on it is police; it is far from obvious to an avg civilian on the street

Using them for Surveillance, stings (ie using a UC officer as the driver if there has been a string of taxi muggings in a certain area), etc. are feasible uses, but regularly patrolin & enforcing V&T laws is not feasible, nor was it their intended purpose when the concept began

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
pdk9 said:
I've seen them a bunch of times and i know that the officers are in uniform, but:
A) most people don't see an officer in uniform in their RVM when he activates the lights. They just see a taxi with some lights, and they don't know what's going on until they stop and a uniformed LE walks up to their window

B) the "strobe system" is all clear strobes and amber strobes (in the roof turn signals), and most ppl aren't that bright, so I'll bet you that > 2/3 of the ppl pulled over are confused or suspicious when the unit pulls up behind them. Only whackers, LE, and other people that work in Public safety and have heard of the concept will know that a taxi w/ some lights on it is police; it is far from obvious to an avg civilian on the street

Using them for Surveillance, stings (ie using a UC officer as the driver if there has been a string of taxi muggings in a certain area), etc. are feasible uses, but regularly patrolin & enforcing V&T laws is not feasible, nor was it their intended purpose when the concept began

True. The newer ones are Altimas (gag) but they are better equipped lighting-wise. Even though they still blend in and whatnot, maybe it'll be a little less ambiguous.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.