NYRRT...ummm what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Just my observation on it: It seems that they may be doing a lot of the jobs that those of us who are getting paid do not want to do. I sure as hell don't want to be stuck providing rehab services, taking pictures, changing air bottles, setting up flood lights etc. when there is fire to be fought, people to be extricated. Shit, I think it fucking stupid for a fire department to be called to cut up trees if there is not an emergency, so why not let these guys help out when they can. Biggest cities in the country can't keep up with clearing trees and debris when big storms roll thru. Why do you think streets are closed off and power doesn't get restored for days, weeks? Because there are not enough people and resources to get it done. Side rant: With all that being said, the fake IAFF wannabe sticker makes me want to vomit. I earned the right to have my union sticker on my vehicles, and the only reason to have one that looks that close to mine is because you wish you had a real one.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
Bigassfireman said:
With all that being said, the fake IAFF wannabe sticker makes me want to vomit. I earned the right to have my union sticker on my vehicles, and the only reason to have one that looks that close to mine is because you wish you had a real one.

We actually "banned" them from my department. Granted we can't tell people what they can and can't put on their own vehicles, but we strongly suggested that they be removed. No sense in making waves on purpose.

FEltjaked

May 21, 2010
New York
vc859 said:
I didn't know that NYC OEM had the authority to overrule the NYS V&TL. Also, if they are so legit, why do they have a section of Facebook pictures entitled "New Equipment" consisting of old firetrucks with the department names photoshopped out.

I think the question everyone is asking is WHY did they get the credentials. Is it because they are a properly trained and certified team that would be an asset rather than a hinderance, or because they greased the right pockets.

NYC OEM has nothing to do with these guys, they're not affiliated at all and no agency is allowed to overrun NYS V&TL. NYC never granted them to run L&S. Guys at OEM don't even know these people exist. Good that these guys will volunteer their time to clear out trees and stuff. But running red lights and sirens to jobs to buff them, like not even help out is not right. FDNY has their own RAC units available that respond to almost every fire to provide a "canteen" like service with Hot choc and gatorade. In NYC even Politicians have L&S in their cars. The DA of NYC has them, the comptroller, its just nyc...

paro22

Jul 12, 2010
USA NY
Before we get to L&S fantasies, I think the bigger question that was originally posed still has not been answered...WHO are they? HOW do they fit in to ICS/Command...and HOW are they dispatched/requested?

I am all for properly-equipped supplemental units, whether Paid or Volley, to carry out necessary "non-emergent" tasks that can free up PD, FD, EMS for more critical duties. I think there are a lot of agencies in the NYC area that may stand to benefit from their services, especially if they are already welcomed by the likes of FDNY.

They clearly have some legitimacy - but it would be nice to know where/how exactly they fit it...(i.e. funding...are they "self-dispatched" or are they requested from FieldComm...what resources do they have available to offer (personnel & equipment)...etc)

I, for one, have never heard them mentioned in any of my FEMA/NYS OHS/US DHS/NY EMS etc trainings or refreshers...

FEltjaked

May 21, 2010
New York
I believe they are self-dispatched. Barely any volunteer unit is actually dispatched by anyone. All the volunteer firehouses are dispatched but only if they have a crew, and only Oceanic and Richmond have a button on the FDNY dispatchers screen that actually gets them dispatched. I believe that VAS are not even dispatched unless they're called upon like with hurricane irene. PD never dispatches anyone except for their own including the NYC sheriffs office. Fieldcomm never calls requests from them...

May 22, 2010
New York City
they actually are more tied into FDNY than you think.................. i cannot go into details........... b/c alot of people are shit stirrers.........

also volly ambulances can get dispatched by fdny via the mars radio ........

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Lets end this thread.

I have an idea.

Someone who resides in the US call this number: 718-999-2056

Its the Press Office/Office of Public Information for the FDNY.

FDNY - Important Phone Numbers

Stop bitching back and forth- get it straight from the horses mouth. No sense having members bicker on here about something so mediocre- More so when everyone with the retorts won't offer direct information. (or speak in code...)

If this group is legit- someone at the FDNY can and will confirm- its not like these guys are undercover police or some nonsense..

Other than that, I'm done with this thread. Well, other than... :popcorn:

FF62

Sep 7, 2011
NY
911 said:
they actually are more tied into FDNY than you think.................. i cannot go into details........... b/c alot of people are shit stirrers.........

also volly ambulances can get dispatched by fdny via the mars radio ........

That's a classic answer...the are not tied into the FDNY in ANY SHAPE OR FORM! They can go help out the community all they want...just don't run red lights and sirens to a job and end up standing around with your dick in your hand. I buffed a job where these guys where onscene...and FDNY Chief asked them where the RAC unit was...he pointed in the opposite direction...bunch of whackers....

Trisdisp57

Jun 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
C420sailor said:
If something happens in the city to the point that FDNY resources are completely overwhelmed, neighboring departments are called in to backfill their houses. REAL fire departments from Long Island, etc.

9/11 FDNY called out to long island vollies for assistance throughout nassau and suffolk county to stand by at there houses and ambulance post's. We did so because we are all part of the same team and we all have similar if not the same fire training, some vollies are FDNY also. We also left fire aparatus in the city to be staffed by FDNY when there aparatus was at ground zero.... they also used our trucks for Funerals.... We have called them to assist in industrial accidents or fires and they have come to help us to.

And When Irene hit, I got called out by NYSPD, as a vollie to cut apart trees that fell across the Southern State Parkway because it was a hazard to drivers... I signed up to protect life and property, sometimes you have to do things other people are paid to do or other departments are assigned to do because the work load is more then they can handle in a fast enough time.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
But mommy how come they can run hot and I can't? IIIITTTTSSSS NNNNOOOOTTTT FFAAAIIIRRRR!!!11!oneone *steps on the other kids shoes*

Can be a toddler or a daddys-little-girl (age 8-28)

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
It does sound like its I cant run lights and sirens, but they can. There is some truth to that. I know a local department that pays its volunteers for the work that they preform and does not allow lights and sirens. They have a very tough time finding volunteers even at a pay rate of approx $9 an hour. A FD right outside the jurisdiction for that department, allows use of Red lights and sirens on POV. pays their people about $6 hour, just for fire calls, and has a waiting list of people. Go figure.........Yes its about running lights and sirens.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
unlisted said:
Lets end this thread.

I have an idea.

Someone who resides in the US call this number: 718-999-2056

Its the Press Office/Office of Public Information for the FDNY.

FDNY - Important Phone Numbers

Stop bitching back and forth- get it straight from the horses mouth. No sense having members bicker on here about something so mediocre- More so when everyone with the retorts won't offer direct information. (or speak in code...)

If this group is legit- someone at the FDNY can and will confirm- its not like these guys are undercover police or some nonsense..

Other than that, I'm done with this thread. Well, other than... :popcorn:

I did my part, I called and spoke to somebody. He wasnt aware of an offical affiliation with the FDNY.He gave me an email address to write to and they would find the information i am asking for. the email address is: FDNYOPI@FDNY.NYC.GOV

If it is really that big of a deal to you then feel free to write an email!

FEltjaked

May 21, 2010
New York
Wait they get paid to volunteer? how is that paid then? wouldn't that be like a part time kind of thing? Hoser please PM me explaining that, it's quite interesting!

And this thread was never supposed to be about being Anti-volley to anyone, so if someones feelings got hurt about that as the OP I am sorry...this thread is over, if people can't talk about a department/organization, well then it does not matter. I hope everyone has a great week and happy buying and selling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.