Odd light issues

nrplowguy

May 23, 2010
New Richmond, WI
So I have a stl (yes I know not the greatest) super takedown bar with the striker 8 director bar using the grandirect control box. I also have radios in my truck which I've never had problems with before. Now when I key up on high power it lights up my visor bar but not the director bar, and I can't turn the visor bar on or off (all buttons work and light up) but the director I can still operate. If I pull the fuse it works fine until I key the mic again. All wires have been moved and are already a foot away or more. Both radio and lights are connected directly to the battery.

nrplowguy

May 23, 2010
New Richmond, WI
So I've done everything I can to try and remedy this problem. I've put chokes on everything I've moved Grounds etc but every time I key the mic on high power it lights the up..... . ........

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Did you check the check the swr of your radio’s antenna like shues suggested?

What type of vehicle is this?

May also be worth running the lights from a separate power source as the radio.

Come to think of it, have you had your battery tested to ensure it’s not failing. I e seen some whacky things happen with failing batteries. Since both radios and lights are hooked up directly in the battery, I wonder if that’s a possibility.

Seth

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I concur with @C17LVFD. Connecting the light to an entirely separate battery or power supply, on all power wires and all ground wires, while otherwise leaving the light still installed should be sufficient to complete your testing. In fact, it may be easier to connect the radio to an entirely separate battery or power supply. In any case, if the problem persists then you have proof positive of a problem with the light itself.

Is your purchase sufficiently recent that manufacturer can be compelled to help? Warranty information is available here: https://www.speedtechlights.com/support/us-warranty

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
I have had this problem in the past with STL products. The simple answer is their products do not have proper RF shielding, specifically in the control module. This is why it takes a "hard reset"( pulling the fuse) to get proper light function restored. The RF coming out of your radio on high power is causing the light in question to lock up. If you're antenna is mag mount, try moving it. If not and you have access to a mag mount antenna try switching to the mag mount and moving it further away from the lights than the current antenna location.

I hope this helps. Chris

nrplowguy

May 23, 2010
New Richmond, WI
Well unfortunately I don't have to worry about it for some time now since that truck is no more. It got rolled 6 times and I was lucky to somewhat walk away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.