Par36 Comparison

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I was inspired by another member's custom Mars bar in the Frankenstein thread, so I decided to retro-fit my Sireno beacon. I thought it would be neat to show an LED bulb and an incandescent bulb spinning together, so I took video of it. I left my dome off so the aging on it wouldn't influence the show. The dimmer spot beam is a 30 watt GE 4416B. The bright flood beam is the LED. The LED bulb was rated as a 70 watt equivalent with a 160 degree beam angle. Despite how the cam made it look, both bulbs are blue. In fact, with the naked eye, the LED bulb is a beautiful true blue and the GE bulb is almost greenish. This beacon will likely go into service all by itself, so I wanted the wide flood beam so it holds visibility rather than just flashing people miles away. Sorry my living room is so messy!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The camera makes the LED bulb look purple..

Jun 18, 2013
PA
What kind of bulb are you using as an LED.. make and model? I'd be willing to experiment with these as well.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I bought them from superbrightleds.com the part number on the LED bulb in that unit is PAR36-B9W-160. They have a pretty good variety on their site. Retail on that one was like $15, but you are best buying a bunch of bulbs at once so shipping doesn't kill you. That model comes in red, blue, amber, green, or two different kinds of white. When off, the bulb appears to be plain old clear, like the old no-sho lights of the early 90's.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I may need to do some experimenting. I'm not against playing around and seeing what works..

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've bought some led omnivolt bulbs from them in the past. SBL is based out of St. Louis (hour drive for me). Their flood lights are direct knockoffs of Strobes n more elfood series.
I almost bought some of those par bulbs from them for my C3 XL and SD, just worried they' be worthless. After seeing this Iight I might hafta place an order.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I've bought some led omnivolt bulbs from them in the past. SBL is based out of St. Louis (hour drive for me). Their flood lights are direct knockoffs of Strobes n more elfood series.
I almost bought some of those par bulbs from them for my C3 XL and SD, just worried they' be worthless. After seeing this Iight I might hafta place an order.
I wound up paying about $40 for one blue and one amber shipped. I am definitely not disappointed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.