Photos: new Ohio State Patrol light bars

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
ohpsv said:
MeefZah -

I immediately thought of you mentioning that clear bar this morning when I passed by one of the Ohio State Highway Patrol's posts and had to get the attached photo. As it turns out, this was not one of their vehicles, but rather a manufacturer's Tahoe with a Code3 bar / color filters 'topside' only. Did you notice if the bar you saw had any color up top?

I'm fairly certain it was completely clear, and the Tahoe was striped as a OSP unit.

Also had no push bumper.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
Hoser said:
Wonder if the lic plate bracket with the LEDs are going to be on all the cars or if its just for Trooper of the Year??

Not certain... I got a pic of the rear of one of those new Tahoe licence plates w/ affixed LED's though... (Off topic - Anybody here getting hail / tornado warnings yet?)

rearlight.jpg

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
I installed some ceiling mounted projectors at the academy in the early 2000s. Down in the basement, they have a room with a car (green Chevy Cavalier, maybe?) and the front half of a Crown Vic that they used for some kind of training.

I asked how they got it down there and our contact said "one piece at a time". I thought about Johnny Cash, LOL.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
rlsllc said:
I installed some ceiling mounted projectors at the academy in the early 2000s. Down in the basement, they have a room with a car (green Chevy Cavalier, maybe?) and the front half of a Crown Vic that they used for some kind of training.

I asked how they got it down there and our contact said "one piece at a time". I thought about Johnny Cash, LOL.

My dad actually made me watch a "PM Magazine" TV story about Cash's Limo when I was a kid because he thought it was intersting, and now your very mention of this has vindicated his actions for doing so. Otherwise, I'd never have caught your reference here! As for OSP959®'s earlier post here, that Trooper of the Year Car may have 'extras' not seen on other O.S.H.P. vehicles such as the rear-plate LEDS. That being said, what ever happened to the solar panels in the rear window the state had introduced a few years back? It was a great concept, but what ever happened to it?

oshp solar 1.jpg

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
ohpsv said:
(Off topic - Anybody here getting hail / tornado warnings yet?)

We just got pounded with rain, no hail, and had some SERIOUS rotation in the clouds but I saw no funnel. About 10mi to the west they had a confirmed funnel and Blacklick had a confirmed touchdown from what I am hearing.

Scary. :yes:

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
ohpsv said:
It isn't much, but thanks to Hoser, I'm posting them. Just continue to follow Jack's photos at Flickr!!!

OK....so the Edge bars had clear rear flashers?? This is highly unusual.....also, do they SB for worklights?? This also would be highly unusual....The RX2700 bars are sick....

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
emtanderson51 said:
OK....so the Edge bars had clear rear flashers?? This is highly unusual.....also, do they SB for worklights?? This also would be highly unusual....The RX2700 bars are sick....

I'd only noticed the rear clear lights in use twice several years ago, the first while passing by a crash at night where I guess they were used to light the scene. The second was in broad daylight as a motorist was actually tail-gaiting a Trooper. The Trooper turned on only the clear lights, and the motorist backed-off and exited the highway at the next exit. And yes, it was a fully-marked O.S.H.P. cruiser this guy was toying with... Regardless, I never noticed the rear clear's flashing, but perhaps they were capable of this?

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
osp pcds-9.jpg

Maybe if you selected rear flash and steady burn you could use the rear clear halogens as such. I saw a vid on youtube of an old 9308 OSP bar on a pick-up (it was amber and clear, and kind of a mess) and it appeared to flash every light on the bar in pursuit mode, even the alleys.

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
For several years we used state bid Whelen bars, they had the clear rear "takedowns", which could be used as steady burn or alternating double flash. I never used the clear flasher to the rear at night, they were blinding. The work lights were handy for backing out of driveways and such.

In the daylight, the double alternating rear white flashers were quite handy as rear warning.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Speaking of car 1000:

2011_OSP_Car1000.JPG

MeefZah
For several years we used state bid Whelen bars, they had the clear rear "takedowns", which could be used as steady burn or alternating double flash. I never used the clear flasher to the rear at night, they were blinding. The work lights were handy for backing out of driveways and such.

In the daylight, the double alternating rear white flashers were quite handy as rear warning.

When I worked IS90 in Lake County, I would get cars that would stop behind me while I was on a traffic stop and ask for directions. I've also had them stop because they were traveling with the vehicle I was stopping. Those rear takedowns allowed you to see what the vehicle behind you was doing.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
For you people on facebook, there's a pretty cool picture of a silver Charger on the Ohio State Highway Patrol's FB page. I'm not sure if it's photo-shopped or what, but very cool and it would make for a nice desktop picture on your PC! Note: You have to actually be logged-into FB to see it - under the title "The new look of the Ohio State Highway Patrol" from Paul Mercer.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
ohpsv said:
For you people on facebook, there's a pretty cool picture of a silver Charger on the Ohio State Highway Patrol's FB page. I'm not sure if it's photo-shopped or what, but very cool and it would make for a nice desktop picture on your PC! Note: You have to actually be logged-into FB to see it - under the title "The new look of the Ohio State Highway Patrol" from Paul Mercer.

531212_2043393621377_1740451751_1017682_603468043_n.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.