Photos: new Ohio State Patrol light bars

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
Comparing the older Jetsonic(?) bars with the Ohio State Highway Patrol's newer Motor Vehicle Inspection lightbars... It should be interesting to see if they eventually replace these with something similar to the Code 3's. Has anyone here found any state links on purchase bids or upcoming enhancements for the MVI's vehicles? As for the newer MCE Tahoe, the only rear-lighting on it was, as before, two LED's on each side of the license plate.

top-bar1.jpg

top-bar2.jpg

top-bar3.jpg

mvi-bar1.jpg

mvi-bar2.jpg

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
Hoser said:
Very Good, sure brought this thread to life! Great photo's!

Thanks Hoser, and others - You suggested that I post them! :) I have a few other pictures I'd like to share but don't want to clog this thread (OSHP Mobile Command / OSHP Police / OSHP SRT). Again, nothing great but fun to see...

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
ohpsv said:
Thanks Hoser, and others - You suggested that I post them! :) I have a few other pictures I'd like to share but don't want to clog this thread (OSHP Mobile Command / OSHP Police / OSHP SRT). Again, nothing great but fun to see...

I say post 'em, I'm interested.

I passed an OSP Tahoe a few days back, white, with the new bar; but the bar was clear (no blue filters). Haven't seen that setup on OSP cars, ever. It was extremely stealthy and I didn't realize it was an OSP car until we were passing and I saw the markings.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
ohpsv said:
You put some great photo's up so far, as long as its about OSP and the new lightbars, I agree, post them please.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
MeefZah said:

I passed an OSP Tahoe a few days back, white, with the new bar; but the bar was clear (no blue filters). Haven't seen that setup on OSP cars, ever. It was extremely stealthy and I didn't realize it was an OSP car until we were passing and I saw the markings.

Clear bar? That would be neat to see - A rare sighting for certain!!! I'm wondering if they've purchased a few new Ford Interceptors or Chevrolet Caprices for testing-only as they've done in the past (see niteowl7710's photostream at flickr or his National Police Car Archives).

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
MeefZah said:

Im guessing it was a test bar..like mentioned above...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Ford CVPI. You can see the quality paint job going on as the paint is peeling on the hood and roof

423415_3544374045618_1160517740_3529711_1116895239_n.jpg

Also, OSHP is now sporting new license plates on cruisers

481977_3544378885739_1160517740_3529718_2007980144_n.jpg

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
MeefZah said:

MeefZah -

I immediately thought of you mentioning that clear bar this morning when I passed by one of the Ohio State Highway Patrol's posts and had to get the attached photo. As it turns out, this was not one of their vehicles, but rather a manufacturer's Tahoe with a Code3 bar / color filters 'topside' only. Did you notice if the bar you saw had any color up top?

threebar 1.jpg

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
SafetyLighting said:
Can anyone get me some high res images of the new Chargers with the RX2700's?

Damn, wish I read this before now.

Just had the brand new "Trooper of the Year" Charger on an accident scene this morning.

It was slick. They are running some sort of blue LED's in the fog light housings. It looked to have a different lighting set up than the others but still sporting the 2700.

If I see him again I will be sure to snap some pics for you guys.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Trooper of the year car #1000 can sometimes have equipment not found on other cars.

I want to also remind everyone that the state is always testing equipment, so it's always possible to see that one unique vehicle with lighting/equipment different than the norm.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
OSP959® said:
Trooper of the year car #1000 can sometimes have equipment not found on other cars.

I want to also remind everyone that the state is always testing equipment, so it's always possible to see that one unique vehicle with lighting/equipment different than the norm.

Much thanks. As of the past couple of weeks, 1000 was working late night through early morning. Any chance this is the reason for the different lighting or testing as cited by CPDG23? Also, is there any chance that the O.S.H.P. has any new Ford Interceptors or Chevy Caprices on the road for testing?

Last edited by a moderator:

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
ohpsv said:
Much thanks. As of the past couple of weeks, 1000 was working late night through early morning. Any chance this is the reason for the different lighting or testing as cited by CPDG23?

He was working the Licking Co area last night around 1am if it was car 1000.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
CPDG23 said:
He was working the Licking Co area last night around 1am if it was car 1000.

Yep, that's the Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper of the Year. Per their website, Trooper Thaxton works out of the Granville Post in Licking County.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
F

ohpsv said:
Yep, that's the Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper of the Year. Per their website, Trooper Thaxton works out of the Granville Post in Licking County.

Yup, that's him.

The next time I see him I'll ask to take some pics and video of his car.

It's one of the best looking chargers I have seen to date.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
CPDG23, much success in locating / capturing some pictures or videos of car 1000, especially in light of OSP959®'s post here!

Here's a few other photos (nothing great) of some of the O.S.H.P.'s other vehicles with various lightbars. Please enjoy, and have a great weekend

oshp charger 2.jpg

oshp charger 1.jpg

OSHP SRT BAR 1.jpg

OSHP POLICE BAR 2.jpg

OSHP POLICE BAR 1.jpg

OSHP MCOMM BAR 2.jpg

OSHP MCOMM BAR 1.jpg

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
ohpsv said:
Here's a few other photos (nothing great) of some of the O.S.H.P.'s other vehicles with various lightbars. Please enjoy, and have a great weekend
27748d1332542939t-photos-new-ohio-state-patrol-light-bars-oshp-charger-2.jpg

Is that a random amber LED on the grill? What's that all about?

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
ohpsv said:
CPDG23, much success in locating / capturing some pictures or videos of car 1000, especially in light of OSP959®'s post here!

Those are some great pictures and thank you for sharing them but that is not the car I saw the other night...

The Trooper of the Year Charger has a special license plate that says "OSHP Trooper of the Year" along with LED inserts in the fog light housings.

It looked brand new from where I saw it but I was tied up with the car accident so I didn't get a real close look at it.

If I have any sort of luck, which I don't, we may cross paths this weekend. I will have my iPhone with me to take some pics and video.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
slash9dotnet said:
I'm no cop, but before LED's were common I saw a couple cop cars with a little amber marker light like the ones trailers use in the grille - this isn't unique to OSP.

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
slash9dotnet said:

Honestly, I have no clue and have never thought to ask anyone about it now that you've pointed this out. I remember at times in the past seeing some of their CVPI's with some sort of glowing light behind the grille in low light / night before they installed LED's there, but again... I really have no clue. Maybe something to do with an auxiliary fuel pump when our Troopers would need to transfer gas to another cruiser? You've caught me scratching my head (or chin) on this! :undecided:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
slash9dotnet said:

It's attached to the camera system and they turn on together. That way if the officer is outside the car he can know if the camera is hot or not.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
If this was covered somewhere else in the past 6-7 pages of this thread, I apparently missed it as I skimmed over a part or two...

Obviously Ohio did a fair amount of research to come up with the current light set-up. Does anyone know what the rationale was behind the colored domes versus a clear dome, or is that the only way this particular lightbar is available?

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
RescueWV said:
If this was covered somewhere else in the past 6-7 pages of this thread, I apparently missed it as I skimmed over a part or two...

Obviously Ohio did a fair amount of research to come up with the current light set-up. Does anyone know what the rationale was behind the colored domes versus a clear dome, or is that the only way this particular lightbar is available?

I just noticed that on page one of this thread, Code3 Rep (a manufactuer rep) responded to some questions. You might want to ask him. Of course, let us know what you find out! :)

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
leds behind color domes are 10% brighter with the same color leds. The clear domes take away about 10-15% of the effectiveness. They also wanted to more mimic a full blue presence like in Europe were there is no confusion of red brake lights or turn signals.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I'm sure its also to make the bar more visible when it isn't lit. Ohio has strict laws about a warning light on the roof of marked traffic units. Clear domes would meet the law, but I'm sure someone at OSP was worried about claims of using "unmarked" cars when the low profile clear dome is on top of a sliver car..

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ryan said:
leds behind color domes are 10% brighter with the same color leds. The clear domes take away about 10-15% of the effectiveness. They also wanted to more mimic a full blue presence like in Europe were there is no confusion of red brake lights or turn signals.

You are going to have to back that up with some sort of study or science.... .. limiting the spectrum of light getting through can't make it brighter...

....everything I have read has indicated colored lenses are of such a broad spectrum that the color emitted by the LED is already narrower and therefore filtered little at all.....

Below is a major over-simplification of how a filter works. It blocks all light except the color it is basically. Colored LEDs a very narrow spectrum of color which is contained within the red filter... little difference if any, certainly not brighter. No light gets brighter when being filtered....

Broad input filterd with medium filter becomes medium output

Narrow input filterd with a medium filter stays narrow.....

You can think of it like sorting rocks with a screen....

Box 1 - a mix of 1" and 3" stones. Filtered by a 2" screen, the 1" rocks get through, the 3" don't.

Box 2 - just 1" stones. Filtered with a 2" screen all the 1" rocks get through. There was nothing over 2" so the "filter" does nothing.

lens343.jpg

ohpsv

Mar 7, 2012
Central Ohio
dustymedic said:
I'm sure its also to make the bar more visible when it isn't lit.

Makes sense to me. Tradition, too? Not to get off-topic, but back in '04 or '05, and when one central Ohio city PD switched to the clear dome, a city council person actually complained to the chief because not only did it lack color, but also because they believed it looked like a bike rack.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
ohpsv said:
Makes sense to me. Tradition, too? Not to get off-topic, but back in '04 or '05, and when one central Ohio city PD switched to the clear dome, a city council person actually complained to the chief because not only did it lack color, but also because they believed it looked like a bike rack.

We had the same issue here, new arjents with clear tops lasted about 3 weeks before they ordered the Chief to oder something with color, so red and blue tops it was........

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
This thread reminded me of something;

I really wish I could have taken photos of the things I seen working for the patrol.

In 1990, there was a slicktop cruiser at the academy. For some reason I think it was white. I could be wrong, but it was a 4-headlight car with red/blue inner hi-beam headlights, some type of dash lighting, and a cover over the passenger visor that lit up the words State Trooper. The patrol was trying to get approval for a slicktop cruiser, but the state shot them down. The car had a variety of alternative lighting on it to show what options were available at the time. Unfortunately, the state wanted to keep the lightbars on the cars to keep them more visible.

Also, I was at the academy on another occasion in the early 90's and the patrol had a Jetsonic that was retrofitted with strobes instead of a rotator/strobe setup. I asked about the light and was told they were considering retrofitting all the old Jetsonics, but the state ended up going with the Whelens instead.

With large agencies like this, you never know what you're going to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.