Question about Motorola paging

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I'm getting an XTS 3000 from a member on here and have a question. 

What, if there is any, the difference between the Quick call alert and Mdc 1200?

I want this radio to be able to page but wasn't sure if there was a difference. 

Also wanting it to make a tone for when I hit the PTT button. 

Thanks for any help. 

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
MDC1200 is a signalling protocol that can do unit ID, status buttons, emergency button, selective inhibit, radio check, and selective calling.

Quick Call II is your standard two tone paging. You'll need to be able to do Quick Call II encode to send out pages.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
MDC1200 is a signalling protocol that can do unit ID, status buttons, emergency button, selective inhibit, radio check, and selective calling.Quick Call II is your standard two tone paging. You'll need to be able to do Quick Call II encode to send out pages.
Ok thanks. I don't care about sending pages out. I just want it to light but and bug me non stop when we get a page.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Quick Call II decode is what you'll need then. I'm 90% sure the XTS 3000 radio can do that, the rest of the XTS series can for sure. 
From what I have found on a couple pdf links I found when searched google it is capable. I appreciate the help. I couldn't find anything on google that explained the difference this morning.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Not a problem.
So is there anything on the XTS series that is a must have? I know I want the Quick Call but is there anything else that I should consider?

The one I'm getting is a model 2 so idk if it will be capable of having a password on it.

A buddy of mine has his personal vertex and kenwood set up where when he turn it on it displays his first initial and last name before showing what channel he is on. Are these capable of that? Like I'd want mine to show M. Decker before showing BCF Cave City (our repeater in the city limits).

Can the concentric switch be set up for scan on/off?

I think that's all my questions for now.

I appreciate any help.

Aug 30, 2015
Arizona
The XTS3000's are not capable of showing opening ID or Personal ID on power up.   Only the Astro 25 series radios will do that (XTS2500, 5000 etc.)

The XTS3000's will do password operation, but it is a real pain to enter all of the password characters without a DTMF keypad, as for the concentric switch, it will operate the scan function or you can have it assigned to any of the other programmable buttons or as a function option in the display menu.

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Just remember the 3k is an older radio, it's not as nice as the Astro25 series radios.
True. This one is fine for me though. I don't need anything too fancy. I've always wanted an XTS series radio since using them when I worked with the National Park service. Figured I'd go with this one since it was a great price. The main thing I need is the quick call alert feature. As long as I can have that feature then I'm content.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Quick Call II decode is what you'll need then. I'm 90% sure the XTS 3000 radio can do that, the rest of the XTS series can for sure. 
So, after searching through pages and pages on batlabs and radio reference, I have gathered that the xts 3000 does NOT do quick call tones. Apparently it's not in the flashcode or something.

Will double check when I take it to my radio guy to program. He's supposed to show me how.

If it doesn't oh well. Would be nice if it did but I'll live. That's what my edispatch and pager are for if I don't hear it.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Ok. Ended up getting a 2500 model 2 instead. Set it up for quick call and didn't work. Found out that I need to upgrade the firmware or flashcode. It's an AN model with

Host code-R06.02.03

Dsp- R06.00.01

Flashcode- 500008-00048 C-7

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Latest firmware for the AN model should be R14 or so and DSP I believe is 9... Definitely need a firmware update. The xts2500 and 5000 both have quick call ii as a standard feature after firmware 9 I believe. 

Update the firmware and see where it goes from there. 

Seth

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Latest firmware for the AN model should be R14 or so and DSP I believe is 9... Definitely need a firmware update. The xts2500 and 5000 both have quick call ii as a standard feature after firmware 9 I believe. 
Update the firmware and see where it goes from there. 

Seth
Ok. How do I update the firmware? Someone on Facebook told me to take it to a dealer but that it'd probably cost a pretty penny.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Taking it to a dealer is probably the safest bet if you are not already familiar with the process. You can turn your nice radio into a brick easily if you aren't familiar with the process. 

Firmware updates should be about 75 dollars or so. 

Seth

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Taking it to a dealer is probably the safest bet if you are not already familiar with the process. You can turn your nice radio into a brick easily if you aren't familiar with the process. Firmware updates should be about 75 dollars or so. 

Seth
Ok. Thanks. I will probably take it to them when I get the extra cash. For now it works good enough for me to use it.

Reactions: C17LVFD

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
Waiiiiiit. Quick Call won't work and that's why you want to upgrade Firmware? Also, if you've got a programming cable and CPS, there's a guy that I've used quite a bit that can do LEGIT Firmware upgrades over the internet. 

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Waiiiiiit. Quick Call won't work and that's why you want to upgrade Firmware? Also, if you've got a programming cable and CPS, there's a guy that I've used quite a bit that can do LEGIT Firmware upgrades over the internet. 
Mainly. I ain't gonna lie. This is my first personal xts radio so I don't know much about them yet.

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
Do you have CPS? What version?? Do you have a prog cable? If you want to, send me your codeplug and I could help you out if wanted.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Do you have CPS? What version?? Do you have a prog cable? If you want to, send me your codeplug and I could help you out if wanted.

I don't yet. Our radio guy programmed a few of my depts channel in it yesterday when I got it. I was going to see if he had a copy of it and an extra cable so I could do it myself. I'll have to check.

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
Your radio guy should be able to program QuickCall tones in there as well. If you get into any trouble, feel free to PM me. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firefighter5316

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.