"Red or Green Light ..."

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Recently I saw this mentioned in a link in a post ... The Z Siren comes with an optional Red or Green Light ... and maybe why.

In every Academy class I show the Recruits a picture of my Unit's same-but-different Police vehicles, and then someone will ask, "Why the Red Spotlight?"
"First, there were dinosaurs, and then, in 1923..."
Anyway, attached is the Link to, and a Capture of, the Final Text of Uniform Vehicle Code (1926) UVC which recommends on a National level that the only vehicles allowed to have a "Red or Green Light Visible from in Front of Vehicle..." are "Police of fire department or fire patrol vehicles."

The Link should open on this page; from there you can go up or down and look at all of it. Realize how much of it is still directly in use. Vernon's Civil Statutes 6701d (That many States adopted) and the current Texas Transportation Code are very similar. Please compare the 1926 final recommendation to the current Texas law: Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

And yes, this law recommendation is so old that Herbert Hoover has not been President yet.

Attachments

• RG.png
    RG.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Cover.png
    Cover.png
    48 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjwilliams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.