Review: Carson 1022-10 Siren

mfaith91

May 23, 2010
Kentucky
[Broken External Image]:http://www.carson-mfg.com/img/sc-1022-volunteer.jpg

Up for Review today is the Carson 1022-10. The Carson 1022-10 utilizes the SC-1000 Series Siren Remote Ampifier. The difference is in the switch control setup- and the 1022 puts the siren and light switches in one small handheld controller.

The Good: I am totally surprised by the functionality of the SC1000. By utilizing dipswitches, you can configure the siren to function in several different ways. The Mechanical siren tone doesn't sound totally like the "Real Deal", but it doesn't sound like a dying cow either. It's a tone that moves traffic quickly. The Wail, and Yelp are very unique tones too- but are definitely attention getters. The Phaser sound is the typical intersection busting noise- and works flawlessly. Troubleshooting is a breeze. Having a backlight controller is something that should be a must on all setups- but typically is forgotten about. Customer service is spot on- as when the test unit was originally installed we thought it was a dead unit- ended up being something very simple.

The Bad: While not truly BAD, the Siren Amplifier has only two Light control switches. Plenty enough for most volunteers- but could be lacking if you are looking for a more intricate setup with your lighting options.

The Ugly: Be careful where you mount the control head. If care is not taken- troubleshooting or dipswitch modification will nearly be impossible if hidden somewhere tight- plus the remote cord will only go so far. The included velcro is a waste for hanging the handcontroller up- and I wish that the optional plastic holder was included in the 1022-10 kit. This siren is designed to only work with 1 100 watt speaker- and not capable of pushing 200 watts.

All in all- especially for vollies with tight installation quarters- this is a must have! This allows for a very clearn and professional installation in the tightest of passenger compartments with little to no mounting options. The price is phenominal for the options that it comes with.

Useability: 9

Functionability: 9

Durability: 8

Customer Service: 9

Price: 9

Overall Score: 8.8

Disclaimor: These are my opinion(s) and my opinion(s) only.

Mike

May 24, 2010
Mount Orab, Ohio
I just installed one in my new (to me) truck. I also have an Able 2 31.3125 remote siren in this truck. I use dual Sound Off D100 speakers in the grille. They are loud, but I'm not sure they are as loud as my old school speakers with the long cones off of chrome speakers. I really like the light controls built in, but I got to get used to this whole hand held thing.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
I bought the Carson 1012-M siren witch is the same but with a different control head. I completely love this siren. this model I have is easy to add floor manual switches to it. Your completely right about the mechanical its not exactly like a real mechanical but to me its the best sounding electronic mechanical out there. And also as you said about the tight space issue. I have a mustang so I don't have the best room in the world. It fits perfectly under my passenger seat.

The only things bad that I would add to your list is:

- when you hit the horn the mechanical and wail start over

- there is no siren break unless you do first thing I said.^^

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.