Smart Siren Problem - No sound

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
I installed a Smartsiren two years ago that I got from somebody on this board and its worked flawless until this week. The switches and lights all work great but the sounds are causing issues. When pressing the manual or airhorn button it only works for a second or two but then I hear the sound coming from the control panel. All the other sounds like phaser, yelp, wail etc dont work at all. Ive switched out the control panel with another one and I still have the same issue. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

iceman4122 said:
I installed a Smartsiren two years ago that I got from somebody on this board and its worked flawless until this week. The switches and lights all work great but the sounds are causing issues. When pressing the manual or airhorn button it only works for a second or two but then I hear the sound coming from the control panel. All the other sounds like phaser, yelp, wail etc dont work at all. Ive switched out the control panel with another one and I still have the same issue. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

When you say phaser, yelp, and wail don't work at all, do you mean no sound comes out of the amp? (as stated with the manual and air-horn button). If the tones are audible via the amp then I would recommend switching out the speaker for a different one if possible.

EMS_Installer

Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
firerescue.installs said:
When you say phaser, yelp, and wail don't work at all, do you mean no sound comes out of the amp? (as stated with the manual and air-horn button). If the tones are audible via the amp then I would recommend switching out the speaker for a different one if possible.

I would first check your grounds and speaker connections. If a ground goes bad they will do odd things. After you've checked your connections and groungs, test with an alternate speaker. If the siren doesn't work with an alternate speaker, your siren amp is most likely bad. If you don't have access to a speaker to test with I can loan you one, but you would have to cover shipping.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
If you've been using it for 2 years and now it's not working, the first thing to do is take it out, sniff for smoke smell before opening it up and blowing out whatever dust is there.

Inspect it visually, inside and out, for frayed wires, scuffs, scorch marks or other damage. Make sure that all screws, nuts, etc are tight.

Clean the operating switches (use contact cleaner, NOT WD-40!) and work them 100 times. Flip DIP switches back and forth 10 times each.

If you see nothing to indicate why there is the problem, recheck. If the problem continues, you have an electronic glitch. Try a different speaker. You can make a test rig with a big resistor (I forget what value and rating) and a regular speaker. If you don't hear anything, turn it off and let it sit for a minute or two to cool down, then listen closely to the amp as you operate it again for two seconds -- sometimes you will hear a very faint siren ("ant police"), indicating that the signal generator is working and the problem is in the output amplifier (usually the transistors).

My bad. Yes, always check your grounds first. Can't believe I forgot that :bonk: .

EMS_Installer said:
I would first check your grounds and speaker connections. If a ground goes bad they will do odd things. After you've checked your connections and groungs, test with an alternate speaker. If the siren doesn't work with an alternate speaker, your siren amp is most likely bad. If you don't have access to a speaker to test with I can loan you one, but you would have to cover shipping.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
One other thing to check is the "park kill" wire. Make sure it is capped if not used and isnt touching any metal.

I capped mine, since I dont need to park kill feature, bu the end cap came off (my helper didnt crimp it tight enough) and while driving down the road to a call the siren would quit producing sound off and on really quick.

It took me a couple days to figure it out....

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
firerescue.installs said:

When I depress phaser, yelp and wail no sound comes at all from the controller. I hear a little sound come from the contoller when I press the manual button. I will have sound come out of the speaker for a few seconds as I hold it down then that cuts out and I hear it come from the controller.

May 22, 2010
New York City
iceman4122 said:
When I depress phaser, yelp and wail no sound comes at all from the controller. I hear a little sound come from the contoller when I press the manual button. I will have sound come out of the speaker for a few seconds as I hold it down then that cuts out and I hear it come from the controller.

to me it sounds like the amp went...........

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
Now I hear all the tones coming from the controller. Nothing comes out of the speaker anymore. I think its the amp too :( Put up a wanted ad.

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
Had time today to try a different speaker and it sounded loud and beautiful so I confirmed the amp is working fine and its probably just the speaker. So I rewired the old speaker to see if the connection was just bad and now I hear sound coming but its nowhere near where its supposed to be. Is it probably just a bad speaker ?

Sounds like a bad speaker. I'm no expert on speakers so don't take my word on it.

iceman4122 said:
Had time today to try a different speaker and it sounded loud and beautiful so I confirmed the amp is working fine and its probably just the speaker. So I rewired the old speaker to see if the connection was just bad and now I hear sound coming but its nowhere near where its supposed to be. Is it probably just a bad speaker ?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cawensel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.