Something Different from Whelen

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Today, I picked up a different bar with a good bit of history. As many of you may know, I work for a large ambulance company here in NYC. Another company that used to be in NYC was AMR, which is known nation wide. Years ago, AMR in NYC shut down and the company I work for bought a good number of their used ambulances to add to our fleet. Most of these trucks are from 2001-2003, so now they're slowly all being retired and I jumped on this lightbar. All the old AMR trucks have the same interesting lightbar, which is a Whelen 9000 series with 4 front-facing strobes (two red and two white), and 3 KKK-compliant flashers that are individually wired to flash with the rest of the truck's KKK-spec perimeter lights. I don't believe that I have seen this model of lightbar on any other vanbulance aside from old NYC AMR trucks. I'll polish it up and tear it apart when I have the time. This is the older version, which uses twist-lock helix type strobes and dual halogen flasher modules. The newer versions have linear strobes and single halogen flashers.

Pictures and a video of an AMR NYC truck responding with the same bar, years ago.
ai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_3860_zpszg7dodmg.jpgai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_3857_zpsiv7kmqzx.jpgai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_3859_zps2lnxnt2u.jpgai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_3858_zpszuw1a1ex.jpg
ai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_3861_zpstd1ie1vh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: StEaLtH2

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Today, I picked up a different bar with a good bit of history. As many of you may know, I work for a large ambulance company here in NYC. Another company that used to be in NYC was AMR, which is known nation wide. Years ago, AMR in NYC shut down and the company I work for bought a good number of their used ambulances to add to our fleet. Most of these trucks are from 2001-2003, so now they're slowly all being retired and I jumped on this lightbar. All the old AMR trucks have the same interesting lightbar, which is a Whelen 9000 series with 4 front-facing strobes (two red and two white), and 3 KKK-compliant flashers that are individually wired to flash with the rest of the truck's KKK-spec perimeter lights. I don't believe that I have seen this model of lightbar on any other vanbulance aside from old NYC AMR trucks. I'll polish it up and tear it apart when I have the time. This is the older version, which uses twist-lock helix type strobes and dual halogen flasher modules. The newer versions have linear strobes and single halogen flashers.

Pictures and a video of an AMR NYC truck responding with the same bar, years ago.

Like you said AMR is nationwide and they used the same bars here in CT as well. It is an interesting set up. Always was curious how they have them wired up. Internal power supply? Flasher light heads all come out with separate power feeds for connecting to the KKK flasher?
Please let us know internal workings as well.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Like you said AMR is nationwide and they used the same bars here in CT as well. It is an interesting set up. Always was curious how they have them wired up. Internal power supply? Flasher light heads all come out with separate power feeds for connecting to the KKK flasher?
Please let us know internal workings as well.
Each flasher has a separate, labeled wire that is directly wired to the ambulance's main flasher. The strobes are run on an internal power supply.

Reactions: firebuff17
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
interesting......the vanbulances that erway ambulance uses here in Elmira have the same style side lights, as well as above the windshield lights. Rear is the same but all the lights are halogen.

the lightbar that most of them run are code 3 XLs with force 4 rotators and cascade mirrors on the outer spots. I say most cause a few newer ones have the justice bars, and one has a weird looking one, not sure if its whelen or what.

i'll have to see if I can get a walk around video of one sometime. the scheme is also the same, but they all have a thin blue line running down the sides of them.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Yea, we had these bars on many different trucks here in MA. Ours had lamps in the alley position though that flashed on their own and were not tied into the KKK system. They developed into the 9M platform that was as follows:
700H 400s 400s 700h 400s 400s 700h with 400h in the endcaps. Same quad flash on the strobes with the 700 halos up front tied into the KKK and independent end flashers.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Yea, we had these bars on many different trucks here in MA. Ours had lamps in the alley position though that flashed on their own and were not tied into the KKK system. They developed into the 9M platform that was as follows:
700H 400s 400s 700h 400s 400s 700h with 400h in the endcaps. Same quad flash on the strobes with the 700 halos up front tied into the KKK and independent end flashers.
My bar actually has spaces, mounts, and plugs for alley flashers. Not sure why they were removed from this bar, but all others have them. The ones in these older ones were also tied to the KKK flasher, and flashed with the white center lights. I'm going to search for the alley lights and another mount later. We have the same bars that you described on the newer AMR trucks, too. This seems to be the earlier version with different internals set up the same.

Reactions: denko3

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I don't get the point of a dual halo when it's for a single color application. But it looks cool and that's what counts, right?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.