Sound Off LED Hideaways

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
What do you all think about these im surprised no one has talked about them yet.

zsiya

May 22, 2010
AL
I used 6 of these on an F150 for a wrecker company. 2 in the fog lights and 4 in the tail lights. They are pretty nice. The different lenses make a difference with the light diffusion.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Ok, resurrecting this thread. I found it to be the most appropriate, and am not sure where else this was/could be discussed.

I have seen that these units are now being offered with only one lens, not the 3 inter-changeable ones. What is the deal with that? Also, out of the 3 original ones with different optics, which one does the "newest offer" most closely resemble? I have a pair of blues and am looking to buy a pair of amber, but want to make sure that the optics are best suited for my application!

Sorry if this raises an old dead thread from a year ago but again, I thought it was the best place to discuss this.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Ok, resurrecting this thread. I found it to be the most appropriate, and am not sure where else this was/could be discussed.

I have seen that these units are now being offered with only one lens, not the 3 inter-changeable ones. What is the deal with that? Also, out of the 3 original ones with different optics, which one does the "newest offer" most closely resemble? I have a pair of blues and am looking to buy a pair of amber, but want to make sure that the optics are best suited for my application!

Sorry if this raises an old dead thread from a year ago but again, I thought it was the best place to discuss this.

Where did you hear this? (got a weblink?) They still only sell this with the three different lens'... see the following link:

SoundOff Signal - Universal UnderCover LED Inserts

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
unlisted said:
Where did you hear this? (got a weblink?) They still only sell this with the three different lens'... see the following link:

SoundOff Signal - Universal UnderCover LED Inserts

SIRENNET.COM - SoundOff Universal Undercover LED Inserts

Watch the Stuart Sirennet TV special!! Also per an e-mail from Louis @ StrobesNMore yesterday, the model he is shipping/selling has only one lens.

Not really sure WHEN this took effect, but its not making me very happy!! :hissyfit:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
unlisted said:
I'd call/email sos direct, as that does not make sense as per their product page.

Agreed. Unfortunately I just discovered this the other day, and have an install for my POV coming up this week. I should stop waiting til the last minute to do these things lol!

May 22, 2010
Central WV
unlisted said:
I'd call/email sos direct, as that does not make sense as per their product page.

It appears that the product page has not been updated to include the change. You can still get all three lenses, but the only one included now is Lens #1 (extreme angle lens which gives 160*-170* viewing, or basically throws the light in all directions on a 180* plane). I haven't talked to my Master Distributor or Sound Off specifically about this, but my suspecion is that they started offering only one lens with each Universal Undercover because the feedback they have gotten says that most people only utilize Lens #1. Also, not providing three lenses with all Universal Undercovers allows the company to save money and keep the pricing the same, especially if manufacturing costs have risen.

Here is info copied from the 2012 all product pricing document on their website. It does reflect the change in lens inclusion.

ELUC2S010R Universal UnderCover™ LED Insert Single Light Kit, 10-16 Vdc w/ 10’ cable: includes insert, Lens #1 (Extreme Angle) &

Inline Flasher – Red $122.00

The additional lenses can be ordered using the info below.

PLUC2LN1H Universal UnderCover™ Lens #3 – Horizontal $5.15

PLUC2LN1V Universal UnderCover™ Lens #2 – Vertical $5.15

Also, color combinations with green in them have now been lowered to reflect the same pricing as R, B, A, or W color combinations.

PM me with any questions or to place an order.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
aberfitchguy2472 said:
It appears that the product page has not been updated to include the change. You can still get all three lenses, but the only one included now is Lens #1 (extreme angle lens which gives 160*-170* viewing, or basically throws the light in all directions on a 180* plane). I haven't talked to my Master Distributor or Sound Off specifically about this, but my suspecion is that they started offering only one lens with each Universal Undercover because the feedback they have gotten says that most people only utilize Lens #1. Also, not providing three lenses with all Universal Undercovers allows the company to save money and keep the pricing the same, especially if manufacturing costs have risen.

Here is info copied from the 2012 all product pricing document on their website. It does reflect the change in lens inclusion.

ELUC2S010R Universal UnderCover™ LED Insert Single Light Kit, 10-16 Vdc w/ 10’ cable: includes insert, Lens #1 (Extreme Angle) &

Inline Flasher – Red $122.00

The additional lenses can be ordered using the info below.

PLUC2LN1H Universal UnderCover™ Lens #3 – Horizontal $5.15

PLUC2LN1V Universal UnderCover™ Lens #2 – Vertical $5.15

Also, color combinations with green in them have now been lowered to reflect the same pricing as R, B, A, or W color combinations.

PM me with any questions or to place an order.

That makes sense. Thank you for the information! I would think it would be in better interest to OFFER one of the 3 lenses, user chosen, instead of forcing the consumer to purchase an additional lens if they needed a different one. :lightbulb:

Just my :twocents:

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Truth is, I think the standard lens it the best of the three. It is all I've been using and the few times I've tried the others I saw little to no gain in overall output and a huge dead spot to the side or top depending. I think it was/is a neat idea to have different lenses, but not sure how much it really matter unless surface-mounting them. And I believe they (and all LED hide-a-ways) are too small for surface mounting except as tertiary warning or novelty use.

Think about it...you would need to have the perfect combination of host reflector, hide-a-way location, and hide-a-way lens to get max output. That is a bunch of time-consuming and expensive experimentation, as you would need to try multiple combinations of holes and lenses to find the best output.

Much better to just have one overall best lens, IMO.

And if you just have to have the others, let me know. I might have a *few* laying around here somewhere...

sean

Jul 2, 2010
Lexington, KY
Zapp Brannigan said:

If I recall correctly - they are now coming with the Extreme Angle lens. It's the lens that best diffuses the light and covers the most applications.

rsqemt911

May 25, 2010
Naugatuck Ct
here is my truck from the front w/ green SOS's in the corner lights:

ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y44_c100sig12_th_M4H00011.jpg

Here is an off angle shot. shows the main light output for intersection warning:

ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y44_c100sig12_th_M4H00012.jpg

here is the rear of the truck w/ red and clear SOS's in the brake and backup lights:

ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y44_c100sig12_th_M4H00008.jpg

And here is an off axis pic so you can see the side output.

ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y44_c100sig12_th_M4H00010.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.