SouthLAnd LAPD lightbars

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I know the LAPD has used FS AeroDynics, C3 MX7000s, FS Vistas, and more recently, FS Arjets. In my expierence, i havnt seen much,( if any) whelen products used on LAPD cars. So why in TNT's show SouthLAnd, do they use Whelen Liberty bars with colored lenses? When trying to make things as realistic as possible, why would they use a lightbar in the the TV show, that they dont use on LAPD's cars? Not only that, in the show, none of the lightbars use CA Steady burn. (i know its because its a TV show, but they put a lot of emphisis on these bars during filming, and they're not accurate at all). Am i the only one whos noticed this? Or am i completely wrong and the LAPD DOES use the Liberty bar?

lapd185.jpg

425_ab_McKenzie_Cudlitz_122110.jpg

LAPD%20car2.jpg

2218783809_836bac3944.jpg

3840734165_6b50b51e78_z.jpg

Helmet+Lucy+Liu+on+Set+nFBvIccoOhll.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i know its a TV show. so why dont they put them in french blue uniform shirts too while theyre at it?

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Didn't they have C3 2100 bars early in the series?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ryanm said:
Didn't they have C3 2100 bars early in the series?

i feel like they did. but now its strictly liberties

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
No amber to the rear aswell. You'd think that they went through all the trouble to have everything else look identical and have fully loaded whelens they would use the right FS bars.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
25297d1329926277-southland-lapd-lightbars-helmet-lucy-liu-set-nfbviccoohll.jpg

Forget about the bars. I know for a FACT that LAPD runs their Crown Vics with engines in the front... not some dude wearing a helmet!

The reason why shows take some liberties is because it is still just a company doing a production. Sometimes you are at the mercy of a budget and you use whatever the prop company has, sometimes you strike a deal with a particular manufacturer, and sometimes you just don't care.

Remember, this is ultimately a show about the characters. If it were a show about the equipment, that's when I would expect them to be more authentic.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Zack said:
Forget about the bars. I know for a FACT that LAPD runs their Crown Vics with engines in the front... not some dude wearing a helmet!

Lol! Awesome

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Not sure why they use a lot of different things (brands)...there's usually transitional stuff (ie an older car will have an MX7000, newer will have a Excalibur or 2100 or whatever) but I think in a real life department, they tend to keep the same brand?

Its' TV....the only ones who notice the lights are people reading this lol.

I think I remember RX2700 bars in the earlier season(s) too...like back before it was on TNT.

Also if they're using a lot of cars, they might have slim pickings / time frames with a prop company. You might just get "black & white police car with red & blue lights".

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
My buddies just got me started watching Southland. I noticed the same thing about the lightbars, I even saw a scene where the lightbar cable was just run across the roof into the door. It's TV, 99.9% of the viewers don't know or care about little details like this.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Zack said:
25297d1329926277-southland-lapd-lightbars-helmet-lucy-liu-set-nfbviccoohll.jpg

The reason why shows take some liberties is because it is still just a company doing a production. Sometimes you are at the mercy of a budget and you use whatever the prop company has, sometimes you strike a deal with a particular manufacturer, and sometimes you just don't care.

Remember, this is ultimately a show about the characters. If it were a show about the equipment, that's when I would expect them to be more authentic.

That's an interesting setup. Looks like a lot of work went into making the "drunken uncle" shot from the hood looking into the character's faces.

DMCGONAGIL

Feb 5, 2012
WI
I know if hollywood wants to use military uniforms in TV and movies they legally have to change at least one thing about the uniform. Might go the same for TV squad cars...

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
It's not cost-efficient to spend money on details that the general public wont notice enough to impact the performance of the show.

Think of it this way - most films/television productions have a list of errors that go unnoticed by the general public, hence they are simply not worth correcting. For instance, let's say a certain species of ragweed that is only native to northern California shows up on a show supposedly based in Los Angeles. To the general public (including most of the board members here), this error would go unnoticed, while to a small handfull of flora enthusiasts, it would translate as a significant, avoidable error.

As much as we wish they were, warning lights are not a dominant interest in today's society.

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
Storm4200 said:
i know its a TV show. so why dont they put them in french blue uniform shirts too while theyre at it?

Because there is a decent chance most people will know just how wrong that is. To 98% of the US Red/Blue = police cars, even in stats with a solid car bar, they know red/blue = police/fire/ems.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I 26 said:
It's not cost-efficient to spend money on details that the general public wont notice enough to impact the performance of the show.

Think of it this way - most films/television productions have a list of errors that go unnoticed by the general public, hence they are simply not worth correcting. For instance, let's say a certain species of ragweed that is only native to northern California shows up on a show supposedly based in Los Angeles. To the general public (including most of the board members here), this error would go unnoticed, while to a small handfull of flora enthusiasts, it would translate as a significant, avoidable error.

As much as we wish they were, warning lights are not a dominant interest in today's society.

Reminds me of the time an avid bird watcher uncovered the PGA's conspiracy to use fake bird noises during their golf coverage.

(The viewer in question recognized the bird song to belong to a species not native to the golf course.)

Why does CBS use fake birdsong for TV Golf?

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
DMCGONAGIL said:
I know if hollywood wants to use military uniforms in TV and movies they legally have to change at least one thing about the uniform. Might go the same for TV squad cars...

Weren't the uniforms on The Shield reversed? (Badge and name tag flipped)

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
kadetklapp said:
That's an interesting setup. Looks like a lot of work went into making the "drunken uncle" shot from the hood looking into the character's faces.

Yeah, although these types of setups aren't that unusual.

That said, my experience is more with these types of rigs:

ai.dailymail.co.uk_i_pix_2009_10_03_article_1217833_06ADEC50000005DC_650_468x321.jpg

Of course, back in the day they would just chop off the front of the car, which is why in old movies it looks weird when actors are driving around and it seems like they have so much interior room. The camera is sitting right where the dash and windshield should be.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i agree with what you're all saying about props and how most of the audience isnt going to notice. but this is a cop show. to me, that means cops, and people who are interested in law enforcement, are the target audience. WE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT WILL NOTICE!! if this was a soap opera, or a hospital show, a genaric R/B bar would work just fine. but this is a cop show!!! they show the lightbars A LOT during the episode, youd think if their attention to detail is on point everywhere else, why skimp out, or turn a blind shoulder to the lightbars. :duh:

it just upsets me!! :sadcry: lol

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Storm4200 said:
i agree with what you're all saying about props and how most of the audience isnt going to notice. but this is a cop show. to me, that means cops, and people who are interested in law enforcement, are the target audience. WE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT WILL NOTICE!! if this was a soap opera, or a hospital show, a genaric R/B bar would work just fine. but this is a cop show!!! they show the lightbars A LOT during the episode, youd think if their attention to detail is on point everywhere else, why skimp out, or turn a blind shoulder to the lightbars. :duh:

it just upsets me!! :sadcry: lol

Firstly, I disagree with you that the target audience of police-oriented television shows involves only those who are police officers themselves, or those who are "interested in law enforcement". Since nearly the beginning of televised entertainment, police shows have garnished some of the highest ratings (Dragnet, Adam 12, etc...even reality programming: COPS, to name one). The general public is attracted to the lack of predictablilty that accompanies the profession - in fact very little have a basic understanding of the profession beyond what their television set tells them.

Secondly, why would a production company spend MORE on accurate lightbars when the lightbars they are provided with WILL NOT AFFECT PROFIT AT ALL??? You have to remember, the core, CORE principle of ANY business (other than non-profits) is not to simply please the consumer, but rather to generate as much profit as possible - and how do you achieve that profit? By setting budgets, and not spending additional money where it is not due. Believe me, the entertainment industry is NO exception to this.

Domesttuner

Sep 23, 2011
USA, FL
Zack said:
Weren't the uniforms on The Shield reversed? (Badge and name tag flipped)

Yes. Interesting fact, it was switched after the first few episodes/season, because the fictional Farmington district was so "rough", the real LAPD commissioners and brass wanted to make sure people could see the difference in the uniforms.

I want to know what siren is used by their cars (in theory, I know it's a dub).

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It's just like any other show. They are trying to get a general point across.... they are going to take some "liberties" with some details.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
well, as a lightbar enthusiast, it just upsets me. haha. I'm venting! ;)

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
lotsofbars said:
Anybody else notice the lightbar on the stand at 0:58?

Yep, this is *very* common in TV and Movie production.

How do you think they get those lighting effects going on the actors?

No room, and no sense to pull an actual car(s) all the way up close to the action.

;)

Movie magic!

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
The seal on the door is the City seal. It is copyrighted and can not( or should not) be reproduced without the LA city approval. I have a friend who has a LAPD 78 Plymouth clone. He was able to get a real door seal to make a copy for his car from a retired shop mechanic. He was able to get it copied for his car by a " Friend" who gave him back a copy as the original ( he had minor changes to comply with the laws)now the guy who was the lender wanted it back and was a little upset that he was getting screwed over out of his original. The " friend" claimed the original was a copy too and he was SOL.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The average TV viewer will not know, nor care, that a EV in a California based show/movie is wrong becasue it does not have a red steady burn. I'd bet the majority of people in California do not really know it is a law. My 7 year old daughter has gotten into watching CHiPs, and we were talking about the steady burn after she asked why my twin sconic is not like the ones on the show. My wife happened to walk by and over heard us talking about 'Califonia red's" and later asked me why we were discussing wine. And she spent alot of time in California.

When the first X Files movie was made, and had the big Dallas scene, the fleet cordinator for DPD went to California to be a technical advisor on the DPD mock up's. The decals were correct, but the MX7000's were a bit different, however, the Caprice's had blue interior instead of the tan that all Caprice, Crown Vic's, and Fury/Diplomats had in the 80's and 90's. And of course the Fire vehicles were completly wrong. No big deal.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
if there's anywhere that i should be able to bitch about light bars not being authentic, isn't this the place? i understand why they think people won't care/notice, but if anyone is gonna share my pain, wouldn't it be the ELB members?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I understand your thoughts on the subject, as do most others, its just something we learn to accept.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsngrimm

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.