SouthLAnd LAPD lightbars

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I'm not nearly as annoyed by not having the exact lightbar as I am by errors in colors. For example, movies and shows taking place in states where police have all red or all blue, but units in the movie have red/blues or getting it backwards when it's a one-color state (only blue on a car in NY, only red on a car in VA, etc.)

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
RescueWV said:
I'm not nearly as annoyed by not having the exact lightbar as I am by errors in colors. For example, movies and shows taking place in states where police have all red or all blue, but units in the movie have red/blues or getting it backwards when it's a one-color state (only blue on a car in NY, only red on a car in VA, etc.)

yeah, that would drive me nuts

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
RescueWV said:
...But Virginia isn't a one-color-only state. About 80% of our police cars have all blue lights, but a fair number have red/blue. See Prince William County, Alexandria, and Norfolk: Police Cars A handful of places, such as Franklin County, have a Public Safety department doing police, fire and EMS work with primarily red lights on their vehicles with a little blue, and animal control vehicles are supposed to have red lights but might be counted as police vehicles, in which case they can have blue or red/blue, not all red.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
nerdly_dood said:
...But Virginia isn't a one-color-only state. About 80% of our police cars have all blue lights, but a fair number have red/blue. See Prince William County, Alexandria, and Norfolk: Police Cars A handful of places, such as Franklin County, have a Public Safety department doing police, fire and EMS work with primarily red lights on their vehicles with a little blue, and animal control vehicles are supposed to have red lights but might be counted as police vehicles, in which case they can have blue or red/blue, not all red.

It was just intended to be a somewhat generic example. My apologies.

VFRDCHIEF1601

Mar 26, 2011
Verbena, Alabama
Domesttuner said:
Yes. Interesting fact, it was switched after the first few episodes/season, because the fictional Farmington district was so "rough", the real LAPD commissioners and brass wanted to make sure people could see the difference in the uniforms.

I want to know what siren is used by their cars (in theory, I know it's a dub).

The first few episodes also had the LAPD style badge.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
There are several things on that show that aren't accurate depictions of the LAPD- the public comportment/demeanor of the officers, the terminology, the radio procedures and call signs to name just a few.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
nerdly_dood said:
A handful of places, such as Franklin County, have a Public Safety department doing police, fire and EMS work with primarily red lights on their vehicles with a little blue

The Franklin DPS does not do law enforcement, they're only charged with fire, EMS and animal control. The Franklin SO does law enforcement, and uses red/blue lightbars.

and animal control vehicles are supposed to have red lights but might be counted as police vehicles, in which case they can have blue or red/blue, not all red.

A locality may elect to only consider their animal control officers to be Special Conservators of the Peace, which in Virginia would limit them to running only red/white lights.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
50theman said:
:eek:fftopic:
Sorry, but that is not entirely true. If you look at the code definitions Legislative Information System (Law Enforcement Officers) Animal Protection Police. This is what Henrico, Chesterfield, Fredericksburg and others have done. Yes they can run blue lights under this statue.

Absolutely, you're correct. My point was more along the lines that each jurisdiction is allowed to determine what it's animal protection officers serve as (LEO or SCOP), and that helps determine what lights they can run. In the county I live in, they're actually sheriff's deputies that happened to be assigned to the animal control section of the SO...they're running full blue light bars. Interestingly, you mentioned Henrico and Chesterfield, they're running all-red.

As 50 said, very off topic, now back to your regular LAPD discussion. ;-)

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
lotsofbars said:
Anybody else notice the lightbar on the stand at 0:58?

Yea - I've seen them do the same thing in Law & Order with a vector.

I've also never seen a new style LAPD Impala. So much for "real police cars".

Theomethod

Jun 21, 2011
California
The door also says "serve and protect" rather than "protect and serve". The badges they wear are also reversed. Police Officer is on the bottom panel instead of the top. I worked on an episode, most of the background cops are real LAPD using their duty uniforms. They take great care in their technical advisement, and I was so tempted to mention the lightbars, but figured I should enjoy the time on the set instead.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I noticed it but after hundreds of cops shows, that are not accurate, I tend not to care anymore, but I still notice it and take note.

Like it was said it came down to cost, maybe Whelen, Fed Sig and Code 3 were approached and offered to have their equip on the show, maybe Whelen gave them the best deal for the use.

But what I reall think it is, is that the Liberties can have full lens kit on, to give the bar that look, even when off. Arjents can only have top lenses, and for filming, when using low power, it the colored lenses also make the lights look crisper, as well as take away that bright punch that may mess up the cameras, which we all know they love the up close shot with the camera and the light bars.

I think it is more to give the cop car, the "cop car" look with a full light bar, red and blue, just for the viewers.

I am even surprised they are using commander mics, knowing even a shell of those are expensive.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Door Seals:

Southland

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/...esaroundpolicecarwhilefilmingIltrdayrqUpl.jpg

Real

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/lapd169.jpg

Badges:

Southland

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/Untitled1.png

Real

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/LAPD_Badge.jpg

On another note too, they have switched portables since moving to TnT from NBC. Previously used Motorola "LAPD" Sabers and now switched to Motorola XTS portables, both have been used by LAPD.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
PTRJason said:
But what I reall think it is, is that the Liberties can have full lens kit on, to give the bar that look, even when off. Arjents can only have top lenses, and for filming, when using low power, it the colored lenses also make the lights look crisper, as well as take away that bright punch that may mess up the cameras, which we all know they love the up close shot with the camera and the light bars.

Excellent points. Lightbars are heavily tinted just so they don't wash out the camera during shoots. Even interior shots of cars require all the windows to be tinted 20-15% just to get it to look "normal" on film.

It seems like a good time to bring up the outrageous vehicles in the CSI shows. Come on, a whole fleet of H2’s… REALLY? And how many crime labs are that nice and that well set up? This topic could open up many other questions about authenticity.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
It's TV and movies. Being accurate does not bring in ratings. I was not bothered by the lack of California red on the Buick Grand National in the show Life. I was annoyed that they had gray stripes on the car. I was, however, aroused that they put HAW strobes, led grill and rvm lights in it.

I completely agree. It just makes me laugh. I work for the state and I cant even get ink cartridges for my printer that I use to do the work they require me to do. Its alot like how you never see fugly people in TV shows, good looking SELLS! It is funny to point it out and put it into perspective.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
kenton1979 said:
It seems like a good time to bring up the outrageous vehicles in the CSI shows. Come on, a whole fleet of H2’s… REALLY? And how many crime labs are that nice and that well set up? This topic could open up many other questions about authenticity.

Hollywood, Fl has an H1 CSI vehicle in real life.

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
kenton1979 said:

Pretty crappy warning package, too. Single strobe Deckblaster in red/white. C'mon...

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
MeefZah said:
Pretty crappy warning package, too. Single strobe Deckblaster in red/white. C'mon...

If your talking about CSI: Miami they use Red/Blue.

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
lafd55 said:
If your talking about CSI: Miami they use Red/Blue.

That's how crappy the warning is, I couldn't even tell the color!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
What about the TV shows and movies from the 1980s/90s where EVERY car had a CA bar on it, regardless of which agency it was.

Still better then some Australian police shows, in alot of cases it's all very generic police cars, equipment and uniforms. Sometimes they don't even bother trying to get it accurate. One show used a number of Mazda passenger cars with plain POLICE in blue on a white background on the doors and a roof rack with a pair if blue beacons and a siren speaker.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I know this is an old thread, but have recently seen some screen shots from Southland, more specifically Shawn Hatosy(Ofc. Sammy Bryant) and noticed their badge. It now has Los Angeles Police on the top line and Police Officer on the bottom line while in reality it's the other way around. I wonder if every badge is the same as I know Ben McKenzie(Ofc. Ben Sherman) badge has Los Angeles Police on the bottom line and Police Officer on the top line.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gram1427

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.