speed tech lights?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Maybe the powers that be could put a memo to all new members upon registration..."Welcome to ELB. Please be advised that Speed Tech Lights (STL), are the dirty anus of warning lights. No one here wants to buy them new, and most certainly not used. Click here to activate your account.". Something like that.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
SireLite said:
Topic's can't be stickyed as the company can sue for slander.

It would actually be libel. But that's still an awesome suggestion, LoL. Can you imagine how long the accept pop-up would need to be?

Welcome to ELB. Members here do not like Chinese knock off lights, split fail lights, un-sync'd, pink or purple blobs, candy cane light bars, impersonators, night videos, shaky videos, too zoomed in videos, at night and in your garage videos, people who don't use the search before making new threads (Zapp will find you,) listing used lights for more than new, not listing equipment used on a vehicle thread and then list every company we don't like.

:haha:

Click accept if you promise not to violate any of the above "guidelines." Also see site rules and all sticky's before making a post.

Welcome to the board mvance! We have a lot of great vendors here that will make your vehicle safe and be budget friendly. Make a WANTED thread with what kind of lights you want, colors and type of vehicle you have...they'll send you quotes. Good luck and be safe!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i think the name in itself was enough for me not to buy any.. speed tech? sounds like a guy who drives to fast that wants to sound "official" designed them ...

maybe it was to see how fast he could drive to his fire department so they could put the fire out before his whole car was engulfed.

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
i see a bunch of people here bashing STL but have any of y'all seen their BBB rating? STL has an A+ rating. so maybe they have improved their products since the last time y'all heard about them. of course ya know, i have heard all of the stories just like everyone else. but has anyone of you seen evidence that it was the lights that were the problem or just poor wiring in the car? i have never owned an STL product just going by the rumors. now i have seen evidence of the same stories from Uniforms Warehouse lights. those i wont touch with a 10' pole. and they have no rating with BBB so im not likely to buy from them.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
chrismartin1701 said:
i see a bunch of people here bashing STL but have any of y'all seen their BBB rating? STL has an A+ rating. so maybe they have improved their products since the last time y'all heard about them. of course ya know, i have heard all of the stories just like everyone else. but has anyone of you seen evidence that it was the lights that were the problem or just poor wiring in the car? i have never owned an STL product just going by the rumors. now i have seen evidence of the same stories from Uniforms Warehouse lights. those i wont touch with a 10' pole. and they have no rating with BBB so im not likely to buy from them.

The BBB is a joke. It is pay to play. You subscribe, and it gets you an instant rating. If someone calls the BBB with a complaint against your business, you can pay the BBB a grand or so and get the complaint removed. When I took over the shop I am at, I did 3 BBB searches, and a month later got a phone call from them advising me that people were searching for info on my shop. If I wanted to get a positive message out, I could for a subscription fee. I asked him how many searches, he said 3. I told him the dates, and he confirmed, they were my searches. Needless to say, I took a big pass! With google reviews, yelp, and whatever else, why would a business need to pay the BB off? Because they suck goat nards. As far as seeing the product, I have. STL is local to the Dallas area, and actually approached me at an accident scene back in 2006. They wanted myself and the other Volunteers to try out their lights. I tried a dash light and an arrow. I could not mount the arrow to my Explorer due to no adjustable brackets or mounting options, and would not have if I could. The control was tiny, and dark, and I felt unsafe for our use. The dual dash lights (we tried 3) all failed, mine flat lost a panel, another lost half it's LED's,and the third indeed started to melt the housing.

So yes, I will say, with direct knowledge, that STL lights are rubbish.

I will also say that the BBB is rubbish.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
chrismartin1701 said:

we all look forward to your review of an STL product

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
HILO said:
The BBB is a joke. It is pay to play. You subscribe, and it gets you an instant rating. If someone calls the BBB with a complaint against your business, you can pay the BBB a grand or so and get the complaint removed. When I took over the shop I am at, I did 3 BBB searches, and a month later got a phone call from them advising me that people were searching for info on my shop. If I wanted to get a positive message out, I could for a subscription fee. I asked him how many searches, he said 3. I told him the dates, and he confirmed, they were my searches. Needless to say, I took a big pass! With google reviews, yelp, and whatever else, why would a business need to pay the BB off? Because they suck goat nards. As far as seeing the product, I have. STL is local to the Dallas area, and actually approached me at an accident scene back in 2006. They wanted myself and the other Volunteers to try out their lights. I tried a dash light and an arrow. I could not mount the arrow to my Explorer due to no adjustable brackets or mounting options, and would not have if I could. The control was tiny, and dark, and I felt unsafe for our use. The dual dash lights (we tried 3) all failed, mine flat lost a panel, another lost half it's LED's,and the third indeed started to melt the housing.

So yes, I will say, with direct knowledge, that STL lights are rubbish.

I will also say that the BBB is rubbish.

ok. fair enough.

FEVER said:
we all look forward to your review of an STL product

to be honest, i would rather go with CPS, but i'll try anything once.

also to be clear, i wasnt trying to defend STL.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
chrismartin1701 said:
but i'll try anything once.

Insert random gay joke here

chrismartin1701 said:
to be honest, i would rather go with CPS

also to be clear, i wasnt trying to defend STL.

CPS has proven to be fraudulent, slow to ship, and unresponsive. There have been several people associated with their site that have scammed members here and elsewhere. I personally was raped in a deal by one of the founding member of their business.

I don't think that's the case with SpeedTech. I'm pretty sure they have a stock of products as they legitimately make/import their own products.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Personally, I'm trying to figure out how there are more than 2 posts here...

Post 1: Can someone tell about STL?

Post 2: Uncontested, it's complete crap. Have a great day.

:lock_it:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
EMT-BLS said:

Simple... Chris came in trolling and stirred the pot

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
EMT-BLS said:

+1. I was thinking the same thing and didn't figure I'd see 20 posts all providing the same info, when the OP clearly got the message a while back lol. Too bad that there isn't an auto-block function that prevents new topics from being created when there is the text "speed tech" listed anywhere in the title or thread

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well theres a problem with that theory...

hey guys, can anybody tell me how to judge speed with my techometer?

the cause fo the wreck was speed. technically speaking

the way speed is increasing our tech nology we are gettign better led's

see... those threads would have the same "bloke" esablished.

and before any says the tach was tyoed wrong for the show of grammerisms and the block:undecided:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I myself have a Dual Pro dash light. I used it as my primary warning and used a teardrop as rear warning for a while. After joining this site, I heard many thing about STL, and have seen many things on videos on here and on other sites. I lucked out, and my Dual Pro is still working just fine, it's still pretty darn bright(no you can't compare it to top name brands) and nothing bad has happened with it what so ever. I also know several other people who have STL products and their lights work just fine after having them for an extended period of time, and they're bright enough to get the job done, day or night. However, seemingly for all the "good" products I have seen from STL, I have seen 3 times as many bad or faulty products. Whether it be on here or in person, the bad products appear.

Another note: I have noticed, their "new" lines of equipment are brighter, and have lasted longer than their old ones used to. Take what you want from that.

Save up a little, and go to Tom at Advance Warning Lights or make your way to Strobes N More. I have since moved my Dual Pro to the back for rear warning and have bought lighting from Tom at AWL and his products blow STLs out of the water. I plan on continuing to save and work my way up to Whelen, but I'm more than content with the lighting package I have from AWL and it more than does the job amd moves traffic. There have been multiple guys on my dept. ask me about my interior bar and are looking into AWL themselves now. I haven't purchased anything from SnM, but I have heard many good things about them as well.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you've now realized the Search function is many peoples' best friend on here. Also, look into the classified section. You will find MANY lights for great pricing and in all actuality, you could probably outfit your entire vehicle for under $500. Actually, I'm quite positive you can.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Has anybody noticed that all of the Speedtech reviews seem to be 5 star and all positive, yet all sound like they were written by the same person?

Kbonk15

Jul 23, 2013
NY (Not the city)
I am fairly new to ELB but even with my short time here I understand the general consensus is that SpeedTech Lights are terrible. Personally I have never used them but I have seen them being used and they did appear to be to bad. So what makes them so bad? Why do a lot of people hate them?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
1. Compared to FS, Whelen, Code 3, SOS, etc... They really arn't that bright or effective. This become even more obvious when you learn about optics, light placement, wattage, materials and construction, etc...

2. It's not a question of IF they will brake, its WHEN... and by when, I mean in less then a year.

3. They have HORRIBLE customer service.

4. I'm 90% sure they are not SEA rated. Which means if you wreck while responding and someone said they didn't see you, your screwed..

5. Who want's to say they have STL? It sounds like some disease you caught.. (Take note FireRescue Magazine)

Last edited by a moderator:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Kbonk15 said:
I am fairly new to ELB but even with my short time here I understand the general consensus is that SpeedTech Lights are terrible. Personally I have never used them but I have seen them being used and they did appear to be to bad. So what makes them so bad? Why do a lot of people hate them?

Freudian slip? Seriously, though, the build quality just isn't there compared to almost anything else.

Kbonk15

Jul 23, 2013
NY (Not the city)
Irsh42 said:
1. Compared to FS, Whelen, Code 3, SOS, etc... They really arn't that bright or effective. This become even more obvious when you learn about optics, light placement, wattage, materials and construction, etc...

2. It's not a question of IF they will brake, its WHEN... and by when, I mean in less then a year.

3. They have HORRIBLE customer service.

4. I'm 90% sure they are not SEA rated. Which means if you wreck while responding and someone said they didn't see you, your screwed..

5. Who want's to say they have STL? It sounds like some disease you caught.. (Take note FireRescue Magazine)

Hahahaha that makes sense! I will stick with feniex then!

Thanks for the reply!!

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I had a Dual Pro dash light, and don't get me wrong, it was plenty bright. It was NOT as bright as top tier lights or the lights I have now, but it did move traffic during the day. Most people don't have luck when it comes to STL and they do tend to be junk. I had a decent light, and I know a couple other guys who have some STL products and they work just fine. I have since upgraded to an AWL venom interior bar to the front, and I had a Mini Phantom Max, to the rear, but just upgraded that to a Feniex Cobra 2x and I plan on selling the Phantom.

What it comes down to is unless you buy from the top manufacturers, most lights will be hit or miss. Oh, and if you don't buy a top maker, I would recommend buying from Tom and Advance Warning Lights. The man doesn't sell junk.

In the end, save a bit more and buy something proven or from a highly recommended dealer.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I've merged several STL threads into one...

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
I'm sure I'll catch crap for this, but I've been using STL for years and am pleased with them.

You have to understand, your not going to get a Whelen or Code3 product for a third the price; you get what you pay for.

Over the years I have owned 2 TAs (sold me existing set, decided I wanted another one), several dash lights, and even a few minibars.

Here's how I rate them:

STL Slim-6, nice output, nice control unit, nice patterns. It can be seen in direct sunlight on an Oklahoma summer day (that says a lot). At night: BRIGHT!

STL Pro Duo, not too bright during the day, simple switch, easy to mount.

STL Raptor Slim, nice little light if your looking at it head on. The clear dome on it lets light right in and starts cutting the output instantly. My solution? Plastidip. The bar is on top of a black vehicle, so making the top of the bar black lets it blend in. Not to mention, not letting the sunlight get to the unit until it leaves the bar, makes it much brighter.

I have had to replace a module in my STL Raptor, but it was a REFURB unit to begin with.

Also, the Slim-6 and the Pro Duos are not rated for exterior use. I'm a storm chaser and I had them in some TORRENTIAL downpours, not so much as a single LED burned out.

I am slowly upgrading my equipment to Feniex, but if you need decent lights on a budget, STL is the way to go.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
God I was trying so hard not to comment on this damn thread again, but it suckered me in.

If you're working on a budget, wait one more week for another paycheck add another $20 dollars to your total so you can buy AWL and not STL, period. Again, I had a little luck with the one STL product I did buy, and know others who have as well, but I think I'll stick with Tom, *****************, and SnM, from now on. I'll push recommend them all to others as well.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
FTFY

ctmcdonell said:
I'm sure I'll catch crap for this, but I am new here and crave the abuse and criticism but I've been using STL for years and am pleased with them.

You have to understand, your not going to get a Whelen or Code3 product for a third the price; you get what you pay for, a third the quality, a third the price, and a third the customer service

Over the years I have owned 2 TAs (sold me existing set, decided I wanted another one), several dash lights, and even a few minibars.

Here's how I rate them:

STL Slim-6, nice output, nice control unit, nice patterns. It can be seen in direct sunlight on an Oklahoma summer day (that says a lot). At night: BRIGHT!

STL Raptor Slim, nice little light if your looking at it head on. Of course I do not care about off axis and REALLY being seen, so thats a good thing I have this light! The clear dome on it lets light right in and starts cutting the output instantly. My solution? Plastidip. The bar is on top of a black vehicle, so making the top of the bar black lets it blend in. Not to mention, not letting the sunlight get to the unit until it leaves the bar, makes it much brighter. Because I have to alter the light to make it semi-effective, and probably void any warranty by altering the device, but its ok, since I anticipate it failing and needing to be replaced anyway

I have had to replace a module in my STL Raptor, but it was a REFURB unit to begin with. Probably would have had to do the same thing if it was BNIB, but thats fine, since I do not really care about quality!

Also, the Slim-6 and the Pro Duos are not rated for exterior use. I'm a storm chaser and I had them in some TORRENTIAL downpours, not so much as a single LED burned out yet

I am slowly upgrading my equipment to Feniex, but if you need decent lights on a budget, STL is the way to go because it is always smarter to waste MORE money instead of saving it up and putting it towards something worth your money and time!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chrismartin1701 said:

If you look at the Uniforms Warehouse website or catalog, a lot of their LED bars and dash lights look very close to STL's. I suspect they come from the same factory/source.

trident2963

Oct 8, 2013
Washington
I used Speed tech light dash-lights to accent my lightbar...

Never had any problems with them, dash light has thousands of hours of running time and no LED burn-outs.

Also have a bunch of surface lights, no problems.

These lights are clearly made in China in some factory run by small nimble fingered children....but if you operate a tow-truck company or security company and have a very small lighting budget....I don't think you're going wrong with STL products...

And yes their prices have gone up... :(

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Skip Goulet said:
If you look at the Uniforms Warehouse website or catalog, a lot of their LED bars and dash lights look very close to STL's. I suspect they come from the same factory/source.

Different factories, but similar quality ;)

jatchinson

Feb 25, 2012
West Michigan
ctmcdonell said:
I'm sure I'll catch crap for this, but I've been using STL for years and am pleased with them.

You have to understand, your not going to get a Whelen or Code3 product for a third the price; you get what you pay for.

Here's how I rate them:

STL Raptor Slim, nice little light if your looking at it head on. The clear dome on it lets light right in and starts cutting the output instantly. My solution? Plastidip. The bar is on top of a black vehicle, so making the top of the bar black lets it blend in. Not to mention, not letting the sunlight get to the unit until it leaves the bar, makes it much brighter.

I have had to replace a module in my STL Raptor, but it was a REFURB unit to begin with.

Also, the Slim-6 and the Pro Duos are not rated for exterior use. I'm a storm chaser and I had them in some TORRENTIAL downpours, not so much as a single LED burned out.

I am slowly upgrading my equipment to Feniex, but if you need decent lights on a budget, STL is the way to go.

:duh: :bonk: :Banghead:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tom said:
Different factories, but similar quality ;)

My dual-pro visor light from STL is the same as one featured in the Gall's catalog, and similar to one of Sound-Off's lights. Considerable difference in prices, too. I'm not sure of the retail price of this light from STL, because I bought my as a refurb for $40, but the Gall's unit is $139.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.