Squad 51 Twin Sonic

mjberryjr

Nov 18, 2011
Northfield, CT
Here is a question. Does anybody know what the thing that is mounted in the middle of the Twin Sonic the top of Squad 51 from Emergency! is? Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. Also does anybody have a close up picture of a similar bar? Thanks!

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Always a fan of that show.... not one time did I ever notice that on top of that lightbar!! Thanks for the info guys. Did that light stay on all the time when the truck was running or just when the lightbar was activated??

Mndlm

Jun 14, 2010
Minnesota
I never recall ever of Gage and Desoto turning on that light in the series. Usually saw it is when they back in the station.

NCICUSA

Jan 8, 2012
S. SHORE /LAKE ERIE/Oh
My late Uncle-in-Law , John, was one of the Television Directors of Squad 51, the Dukes of Hazzard, and even CHiPs.

He was from the Cleveland, Ohio area.

Later I came to find out he even had a hand in similar TV shows and some movies.

It was neat when we went out there years ago, having not seen him in our neck of the woods, for many years.

We all ( the kids) got autographed photos from 7 Mary 3 & 4 .

He did try and make it here for Christmas one in a decade or so.

Remember the 'classy' crash scenes on CHiPs , I think they were called 1157's (?) and the Jump Scenes on Dukes, he was one of a few directors that , at that time, felt they were what the viewers wanted.

They sure did bend a lot of heavy metal with the jumps.

When I look at my last Twinsonic I look back at those shows and Uncle John and have good memories.

NCIC USA

( On the South Shore of the Lake called Erie )

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ERIC6913 said:
super duper rare. mine is not original either. it is a very close replica.

The real ones were made in house by the fire dept mechanic I believe....

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
While watching the episode of Emergency 51 Brush Fire 2-19-1972

I caught these and diecided to show the top light in action.

Hope you like them.Sorry for the video quality it is off the TV.

I got these because you don't see to many of the shows with night scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLjw_TAJQzE

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
NCICUSA said:
My late Uncle-in-Law , John, was one of the Television Directors of Squad 51, the Dukes of Hazzard, and even CHiPs.

He was from the Cleveland, Ohio area.

Later I came to find out he even had a hand in similar TV shows and some movies.

It was neat when we went out there years ago, having not seen him in our neck of the woods, for many years.

We all ( the kids) got autographed photos from 7 Mary 3 & 4 .

He did try and make it here for Christmas one in a decade or so.

Remember the 'classy' crash scenes on CHiPs , I think they were called 1157's (?) and the Jump Scenes on Dukes, he was one of a few directors that , at that time, felt they were what the viewers wanted.

They sure did bend a lot of heavy metal with the jumps.

When I look at my last Twinsonic I look back at those shows and Uncle John and have good memories.

NCIC USA

( On the South Shore of the Lake called Erie )

In August, 1988, my standby service worked an international gokart week-long race event just west of Lubbock. There was a large contigency of people who were from Southern California, including Larry Wilcox who played "John" on CHiPs. Got to meet with him and visit for a bit. He's a super nice guy. At that time his son was 15 and raced gokarts, so Larry took the kid out on the circuit. Must've been nice!

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Sarge619 said:
Base station call sign was KMA-367, Joe Friday's detective vehicle's call sign was 1-K-80

:nono:

Station 51 KMG-365

Now in this thread, post 21, the Adam 12 radio shows KMA-376, which in its own right is kinda weird isnt it? A mobile radio with a call sign like that? Shouldnt the call sign just be the unit identifier

http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/adam-12-lapd-tidbit-43740/

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
FireGuru said:
Always a fan of that show.... not one time did I ever notice that on top of that lightbar!! Thanks for the info guys. Did that light stay on all the time when the truck was running or just when the lightbar was activated??

Thats because you were Hypnotized by the Blinkies :) Man thanks for the pic's and video's guys love the Ward Lafrance, we had one in our station E141 till it burnt up in a wildfire.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Hoser said:
Thats because you were Hypnotized by the Blinkies :) Man thanks for the pic's and video's guys love the Ward Lafrance, we had one in our station E141 till it burnt up in a wildfire.

Ok here's one from the start of the series. tyhe first E51 before the closed cab.

I'll try and get a full view later.

IMG_0005.JPG

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
I recently bought the ENTIRE dvd set of seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 and the three full length movies. On my shift of Tues Wed Thurs we watch an episode or two every day. I have a fire fighter that recently became a paramedic, we dont have medics in our department in this county so he doesnt work as one, but he is AMAZED at how things used to be. He wasnt even alive when it was on tv. :haha:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Wat's even more amazing is the ambulance my wife is on they are still having trouble get the strip to send to the hospital.

Yet it looks like they had the means to do it back then even without wifi and wireless comms.

Go figuire.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Captain4164 said:

Now in this thread, post 21, the Adam 12 radio shows KMA-376, which in its own right is kinda weird isnt it? A mobile radio with a call sign like that? Shouldnt the call sign just be the unit identifier

http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/adam-12-lapd-tidbit-43740/

The KMA-376 was the identifier for that particular frequency/repeater. I'm not sure what the FCC laws were back then but let's say there was a situation where there was a on scene dispatcher or an officer/admin running the radio for a particular call and dispatch was not in charge on that frequency at that time, the admin or officer in charge coordinating things on that frequency would still need to give that frequency/repeater ID on the hour or at least once every hour to comply with FCC requirements. Some repeaters will do it in CW/Morse Code, others the dispatchers will give it out over the air. So let's say Adam-12 was the unit in charge of a tactical situation and was acting command post and handling all radio traffic on that frequency for the officers assigned to the detail they are on. They would finish by saying "Adam-12 clear, KMA-376" (but not after every transmission, just at a certain time frame) The "KMG-365" was the FCC ID for the transmitter at Station-51 so when they acknowledged a call with Dispatch ("Station-51, 10-4 KMG-365) they would conclude by giving the FCC transmitter ID for that base station. LA would then do the same "LA Clear, KMA blah blah blah) Which was the frequency ID or transmitter ID for that frequency. Now, when they were transmitting from a portable rig (handi-talkie or mobile/car radio) they would not have to give an "ID" unless they were acting control operator for that frequency at the time, instead of dispatch.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
RyanZ71 said:
The KMA-376 was the identifier for that particular frequency/repeater. I'm not sure what the FCC laws were back then but let's say there was a situation where there was a on scene dispatcher or an officer/admin running the radio for a particular call and dispatch was not in charge on that frequency at that time, the admin or officer in charge coordinating things on that frequency would still need to give that frequency/repeater ID on the hour or at least once every hour to comply with FCC requirements. Some repeaters will do it in CW/Morse Code, others the dispatchers will give it out over the air. So let's say Adam-12 was the unit in charge of a tactical situation and was acting command post and handling all radio traffic on that frequency for the officers assigned to the detail they are on. They would finish by saying "Adam-12 clear, KMA-376" (but not after every transmission, just at a certain time frame) The "KMG-365" was the FCC ID for the transmitter at Station-51 so when they acknowledged a call with Dispatch ("Station-51, 10-4 KMG-365) they would conclude by giving the FCC transmitter ID for that base station. LA would then do the same "LA Clear, KMA blah blah blah) Which was the frequency ID or transmitter ID for that frequency. Now, when they were transmitting from a portable rig (handi-talkie or mobile/car radio) they would not have to give an "ID" unless they were acting control operator for that frequency at the time, instead of dispatch.

AHHHH, gotcha, makes sense now. Yeah cuz when we do our quick call test and morning staffing everyday from the ECC to the stations, when we finish our staffing we end with our FCC transmitter ID. I just thought it strange a mobile had it. Thanks

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Captain4164 said:
Station 51 KMG-365

Check the posts above.... you'll see I correctly identified Station 51's call sign, then he asked me specifically what the LAPD call sign on Dragnet was, which I then identified.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I watch both will get the call signs for you.

But you did ID squad 51 correctly.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts

chief1565 said:
I watch both will get the call signs for you.
But you did ID squad 51 correctly.

LOL...thanks, but I watch both religiously too, and can assure you "KMA-367" is how the radio operator identifies themselves in Dragnet (whether it's base or repeater I don't know), and when Jack Webb calls in on the radio he ID's himself as "1-K-80" and signs off the transmission with "KMA".

And for those of you wondering; 1-ADAM-12 actually designates the patrol division, type of unit and beat.

"1" = division (i.e. Rampart, Hollywood, etc.), "ADAM" designates a two man patrol car, "12" is the assigned beat or geographic part of the division they are assigned to patrol.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chief1565 said:
Ok here's one from the start of the series. tyhe first E51 before the closed cab.
I'll try and get a full view later.

I've always loved that old Crown Firecoach, and they were built in Los Angeles. There's a big group of collectors known as the Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts and they all have Crowns of one sort or another. Two good friends of mine, Lou Farah who is head of Professional Cars International and Kevin O'Connell, owner of B&M Siren Mfg. both have Crown Firecoach pumpers. I've gotten to ride on Lou's truck and also drive his sweeeeet 1969 hightop Stoner Suburban ambulance!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Sarge619 said:

LOL...thanks, but I watch both religiously too, and can assure you "KMA-367" is how the radio operator identifies themselves in Dragnet (whether it's base or repeater I don't know), and when Jack Webb calls in on the radio he ID's himself as "1-K-80" and signs off the transmission with "KMA".

And for those of you wondering; 1-ADAM-12 actually designates the patrol division, type of unit and beat.

"1" = division (i.e. Rampart, Hollywood, etc.), "ADAM" designates a two man patrol car, "12" is the assigned beat or geographic part of the division they are assigned to patrol.

With all of this "radio chatter" going on, there's something I've always been curious about. Obviously, for both shows, working radios have been used. But, also obviously, since these weren't real LACOFD vehicles or LAPD in the case of Adam-12 and Dragnet, I've often wondered: (a) What frequenicies they used. I've heard that the Emergency! radios were part of the old LA County's original lowband setup around 46 mhz. Not sure about Adam-12 or Dragnet. It would be curious if someone could research the call signs and see who they're actually licensed to....the studios, I would think!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
RyanZ71 said:
FYI KMG-365 I believe was made up at the time of the show but was then assigned to LA County and is used today for Station 98.

http://fire.lacounty.gov/HometownFireStations/Photos/FS098.jpg

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KMG365 - LOS ANGELES, COUNTY OF

KMA-367 is assigned to the City of LA.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KMA367 - LOS ANGELES, CITY OF

Interesting information, Ryan. Thanks. I've never seen that link before. Too bad they didn't show frequency information. That's what I've been wondering about.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
OK, I know this is even more off topic than the radio call sign discussions, but I've always been curious about something: Why (on Emergency) do the deputies wear motorcycle helmets when driving a patrol car?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
OK, I know this is even more off topic than the radio call sign discussions, but I've always been curious about something: Why (on Emergency) do the deputies wear motorcycle helmets when driving a patrol car?

L.A. County and a number of other public service agencies required helmets for safety reasons. I wonder how many times LASO units actually had rollovers?? :eek:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
L.A. County and a number of other public service agencies required helmets for safety reasons. I wonder how many times LASO units actually had rollovers?? :eek:

Wow...what were they afraid of? Were they driving NASCAR or patrolling the streets and highways of their area?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Here's an interesting tidbit I've noticed while watching the show.

In the early epsoides when they get called out you see the little light on top the bar when they are in the bay when they head out of the station it's not there....but when they arrive on seen guess what it's baaaack.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.