State laws on warning lights?

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
here let me reiterate since some people dont use common sense when reading things if you make a PERMANENT modification to your vehicle that is legal in your state i.e tint, lightbars, fog lights etc. a federal right to pass through law prohibits another state from ticketing you for that modification so just because your state (virginia) still would illegally ticket someone for this does not mean it is legal to do so you still must respect the state laws and not use your lightbar but they cannot ticket you for a modification that is otherwise legal in your own state ill get that law posted for yall

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
Travelin Man said:
You're completely missing the point. There's no part of the code section that calls out "permanently mounted," "magnetically mounted," "or easily removable." It's not apples and oranges, it's required equipment versus aftermarket equipment.

Did you miss the two very clearly written copies of the Virginia code that were already posted?

I can appreciate that you took a high school government class and believe that you have an understanding of law, but please take a moment and listen to those that have real-world experience with this stuff. We're trying to educate, not humiliate.

no im not missing the point, i believe you are. thats great that virginia code says that but unforunately federal law trumps state law and it has nothing to do with me thinking i know the law because of a highschool class just as tint is permanent so is some light bars it has been proven already that you cannot ticket someone for having tint that doesnt abide by your laws by your logic tint is also not required but your not expected to take it off or get your tinted glass changed because you drive to a different state so yes perm mount vs easily removable mount has a lot to do with it if im wrong ill eat shit on it i can admit that that im a grown man but the fact is there is so much law out there that nobody can know it all and we all great it wrong sometimes lawyers have the best knowledge and usually they are specialized so what does that say not all police no every single law even they have to look stuff up like i said ill provide you with the law and if im wrong ill admit simple as that

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
What is with you newbies and junior members you ask for help and then you bash the one's that help you. I recently went form Ithaca NY to Sayre Pa and when you cross the state line there's a huge sign that says radar detectors illegal. As far as the lights PA is basiclly red/white /blue saw one as I entered Sayre. When I was a firefighter here and an all blue Visats on car going to Pocono Race Way and you know that the cops are all over that place drove right by. Same when I was chief r/w/r Vista same deal they knew by the plates I was from Ny. As long as you don't use them your'e alright.

Now for the orginal op from the looks of your car no problem and stop with the BS about lights & laws regarding such.You've put up just about every post that has already been done. Use the damn search fuction it can be your friend.

as for this I sign off with this

:lock_it: :lock_it:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Travelin Man said:
Ever stood on the side of the road as a violator peeled their illegal window tint off their vehicle? I have - it's ain't permanent.
No. My factory tint is baked into the glass. I guess it could be removed with a hammer.

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
Travelin Man said:
Yes, I get that some glass comes from the factory with imbedded tint in accordance with FMVSS standards.

as far as the tint thing there are documented stories so yea its just not worth it to most people to spend all the extra money fighting it if they are from out of state im not having an easy time finding the law and its hard to argue with no facts so we will have to agree to disagree but as far as Virginia thats a state i have no desire to travel too from what i read on the web the are to strict for my taste nobody likes douche bag law enforcement

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
chief1565 said:
What is with you newbies and junior members you ask for help and then you bash the one's that help you. I recently went form Ithaca NY to Sayre Pa and when you cross the state line there's a huge sign that says radar detectors illegal. As far as the lights PA is basiclly red/white /blue saw one as I entered Sayre. When I was a firefighter here and an all blue Visats on car going to Pocono Race Way and you know that the cops are all over that place drove right by. Same when I was chief r/w/r Vista same deal they knew by the plates I was from Ny. As long as you don't use them your'e alright.
Now for the orginal op from the looks of your car no problem and stop with the BS about lights & laws regarding such.You've put up just about every post that has already been done. Use the damn search fuction it can be your friend.

as for this I sign off with this

:lock_it: :lock_it:

I haven't bashed anyone??? And all i was looking to know if i had to cover up the lens's or what not. Pretty sure there isn't a post asking about covering clear lens's

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
mredd007 said:
as far as the tint thing there are documented stories so yea its just not worth it to most people to spend all the extra money fighting it if they are from out of state im not having an easy time finding the law and its hard to argue with no facts so we will have to agree to disagree but as far as Virginia thats a state i have no desire to travel too from what i read on the web the are to strict for my taste nobody likes douche bag law enforcement

First, learn how to write a paragraph in proper English. Second, maybe this site isn't for you, since you don't like us "douche bag law enforcement" Third, don't come to my beloved Commonwealth, since you'll only end up in cuffs from your manner of thinking.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
mredd007 said:
no im not missing the point, i believe you are. thats great that virginia code says that but unforunately federal law trumps state law and it has nothing to do with me thinking i know the law because of a highschool class just as tint is permanent so is some light bars it has been proven already that you cannot ticket someone for having tint that doesnt abide by your laws by your logic tint is also not required but your not expected to take it off or get your tinted glass changed because you drive to a different state so yes perm mount vs easily removable mount has a lot to do with it if im wrong ill eat shit on it i can admit that that im a grown man but the fact is there is so much law out there that nobody can know it all and we all great it wrong sometimes lawyers have the best knowledge and usually they are specialized so what does that say not all police no every single law even they have to look stuff up like i said ill provide you with the law and if im wrong ill admit simple as that

For the love of Pete, would you please use some punctuation so we know where a sentence ends and the new one begins. A huge paragraph and only one period and comma. :duh:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
This whole post reminds me of several years back, after the hurricane struck New Orleans, and law enforcement officers from all over the country went down to New Orleans to help them out. Several NYPD officers, returning to New York, were running lights and sirens up Interstate 81 on the way back to New York. Should they have been. No. Did they have a good reason too? No. Does it look bad to the general public? Yes. And it appearantly upset a deputy too because he and a Virginia state trooper chased them down and stopped them and gave a good ass chewing. If he just didnt turn those damn lights on he would have been ok... :bonk:

Last edited by a moderator:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
hoisy71 said:
I haven't bashed anyone??? And all i was looking to know if i had to cover up the lens's or what not. Pretty sure there isn't a post asking about covering clear lens's

Hoisy,

Sorry your original post turned into a pissing war. Its actually kinda funny though to see different opinions.

Chances are you will not have any problem. If you have clear lenses Im sure you will be ok. There is always a chance you could get stopped but its not likely. Come on thru and wave at us as you go by.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
hoisy71 said:

Common sense clear lens. How the hell they gonna know unless you tell them.Hey man my clears are blue or red. :bonk:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
50theman said:
First, learn how to write a paragraph in proper English. Second, maybe this site isn't for you, since you don't like us "douche bag law enforcement" Third, don't come to my beloved Commonwealth, since you'll only end up in cuffs from your manner of thinking.

You have his plate number. Screw with him.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
twodogs603 said:
This whole post reminds me of several years back, after the hurricane struck New Orleans, and law enforcement officers from all over the country went down to New Orleans to help them out. Several NYPD officers, returning to New York, were running lights and sirens up Interstate 95 on the way back to New York. Should they have been. No. Did they have a good reason too? No. Does it look bad to the general public? Yes. And it appearantly upset a deputy too because he and a Virginia state trooper chased them down and stopped them and gave a good ass chewing. If he just didnt turn those damn lights on he would have been ok... :bonk:

It was on I-81.

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
twodogs603 said:
Hoisy,
Sorry your original post turned into a pissing war. Its actually kinda funny though to see different opinions.

Chances are you will not have any problem. If you have clear lenses Im sure you will be ok. There is always a chance you could get stopped by its not likely. Come on thru and wave at us as you go by.

Thanks for the hospitality! Definatly will do!

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
twodogs603 said:
For the love of Pete, would you please use some punctuation so we know where a sentence ends and the new one begins. A huge paragraph and only one period and comma. :duh:

no i will not i dont care about grammar nor the grammar police if you dont like it feel free not to read it

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
50theman said:

first off i can write a sentance in proper english i choose not too its the internet idc second i dont think all law enforcement are douche bags but much like everything else the ones that do give the rest of them a bad name thirdly i dont plan on visiting your commonwealth from the general consensus on the web is that virginia(maybe its just state patrol) has douche bag law enforcement that mess with everybody for no good reason other than they want to be pricks no one and i mean no one likes law enforcement like that law enforcement should protect AND serve not be over bearing douche bags

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
50theman said:

and lastly idc if you like me or you dont thats your personal choice im not here to please you im here to get informed as well as try and inform people the best way i can i dont nor will i hate you for disagreeing with me but please please dont assume things about me its really rude and childish and as far as douce bag law enforcement since you seem to believe i believe all law enforcement are DB's where im from the city cops are hit and miss most are pretty nice the next town over is full of DB's mostly the cheif they will pull you over for going 1-2 miles over the speed limit sheriffs usually 10+ depending where you are and most ISP 10+ is about right too so thats what douche bag law enforcement is if my previous comment offended you maybe its because your feeling guilty

If you CAN write a proper sentence with punctuation and spelling, have some pride and do it.

All lower case with no punctuation, and a mish mash of errors shows a lack of respect and implies that you didn't bother to pass basic English in high school. Just saying, makes you look like a hick that can't spell. :haha: :bonk:

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
mredd007 said:
first off i can write a sentance in proper english i choose not too its the internet idc second i dont think all law enforcement are douche bags but much like everything else the ones that do give the rest of them a bad name thirdly i dont plan on visiting your commonwealth from the general consensus on the web is that virginia(maybe its just state patrol) has douche bag law enforcement that mess with everybody for no good reason other than they want to be pricks no one and i mean no one likes law enforcement like that law enforcement should protect AND serve not be over bearing douche bags

mredd007 said:
and lastly idc if you like me or you dont thats your personal choice im not here to please you im here to get informed as well as try and inform people the best way i can i dont nor will i hate you for disagreeing with me but please please dont assume things about me its really rude and childish and as far as douce bag law enforcement since you seem to believe i believe all law enforcement are DB's where im from the city cops are hit and miss most are pretty nice the next town over is full of DB's mostly the cheif they will pull you over for going 1-2 miles over the speed limit sheriffs usually 10+ depending where you are and most ISP 10+ is about right too so thats what douche bag law enforcement is if my previous comment offended you maybe its because your feeling guilty

Talking about rude, you are disgracing my profession. I think your the childish one, you assume I'm a douche bag because I work for the state. Let me set things straight rookie, first its State Police not state patrol. Why don't you take your childish playing and go back to plowing snow or cutting grass. You sound like nothing but a disgruntled wannabe. You have not been a member here very long and you feel you know everything, all we were trying to do is tell you the law and no I don't feel guilty about nothing, because everything I do in my profession is with in the limits of the law.

Brandon, grow up and quit acting like a douche bag.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
hoisy71 said:
Alright guys thats enough...

My apologies hoisy71, I didn't have any intention of stepping on your thread. I just don't want others to miss inform you and you get in trouble.

I think you will do fine come thru Virginia as long as you keep the lights off. If you have any questions regarding the light laws in Virginia, please feel free to PM me.

Best Wishes,

5-0

MississippiPI

Oct 3, 2010
USA/Mississippi
I too have a black 2010 Charger with red led's in the grill, red led's in the rear window with a red dash show me lite--I also have clear strobes in the reverse lites and wig wags in my headlights. The only problem that I encountered was a NJ trooper asked me if I would remove my red dash lite; as red up there id cops and he didn't want me to have any problems---I did as he asked. I also have 15% tint all around except the windshield--more cops have asked about that than anything else.

Be Safe

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
mredd007 said:

WTF does this say?

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
Travelin Man said:
Ever stood on the side of the road as a violator peeled their illegal window tint off their vehicle? I have - it's ain't permanent.

By that logic, nothing's permanent!! Anything on a vehicle can be stripped, peeled, unbolted, ripped or taken off. Lightbar, tint, wheels, motor..., doors, hood. Hell, a hood is 4 bolts and 5 minutes, lot faster than tint.... What we all need to remember is that laws are usually written to be "open for interpretation"

Example, one VA law quoted said equipped with flashing, blinking lights. One could argue that it means having the capabilities to flash or blink, another could say no, it's only if they ARE flashing or blinking. I know travelin man quoted a VA case where just a vehicle bluelights, non flashing, was cited and it stuck. However, what were the other circumstances? We all also know that things are seldom black and white, there's alot of gray floating out there. To the op's question, he should be fine. The general response is don't run them, don't be stupid.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
waldalm said:
By that logic, nothing's permanent!! Anything on a vehicle can be stripped, peeled, unbolted, ripped or taken off. Lightbar, tint, wheels, motor..., doors, hood. Hell, a hood is 4 bolts and 5 minutes, lot faster than tint....
Don't read too much into what was posted. Having the violator remove the illegal tint in lieu of getting a summons to appear in court is an option the LEO can give the violator. Some choose to do so, some don't. It's going to be far harder to remove an illegal exhaust on the side of the roadway than it is window tint. In the event of the exhaust, some LEO's might choose to give a verbal warning, some might simply issue a summons and let the violator go, while others might choose to have the vehicle towed.

There's a lot of difference between a motor and a lightbar.

Example, one VA law quoted said equipped with flashing, blinking lights. One could argue that it means having the capabilities to flash or blink, another could say no, it's only if they ARE flashing or blinking.
No, the law is clear. It says "equipped" not "operating".

I know travelin man quoted a VA case where just a vehicle bluelights, non flashing, was cited and it stuck. However, what were the other circumstances? We all also know that things are seldom black and white, there's alot of gray floating out there.
It wasn't a single case. And even if it was, a lot of people forget that the violators attitude has A LOT to do with the outcome of a case.

To the op's question, he should be fine. The general response is don't run them, don't be stupid.
Exactly.

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
If your concerned about your LEDs while your in Florida, I wouldnt worry about it. The majority of LEO down here wont pull you over just for having them displayed, but in the case you run by the one cop that will.....RED/Clear/Amber are for fire fighters down here, so your in the clear. If you had a blue dash light or something it would be more of an issue. Florida Highway Patrol uses unmarked chargers down here and you look exactly like them. Its an awesome set up!

vermontfuzz

Aug 22, 2010
VT
Here are the Vermont Statutes relevant, not that you are coming this way! Basically for any color other than blue as long as you have a permit you and the driver is over 18 there is no problem. If the lights are blue you have to cover up or remove unless your a cop with a permit.

======================================================================================================

23 V.S.A. § 1251. Sirens and colored signal lamps; out of state emergency and rescue vehicles

§ 1251. Sirens and colored signal lamps; out of state emergency and rescue vehicles

(a) A motor vehicle shall not be operated upon a highway of this state equipped with a siren or signal lamp colored other than amber unless a permit authorizing this equipment, issued by the commissioner of motor vehicles, is carried in the vehicle. A permit may be transferred following the same procedure and subject to the same time limits as set forth in section 321 of this title. The commissioner may adopt additional rules as may be required to govern the acquisition of permits and the use pertaining to sirens and colored signal lamps.

( B) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a) of this section, when responding to emergencies, law enforcement vehicles, ambulances, fire vehicles, or vehicles owned or leased by, or provided to, volunteer firefighters or rescue squad members which are registered or licensed by another state or province may use sirens and signal lamps in Vermont, and a permit shall not be required for such use, as long as the vehicle is properly permitted in its home state or province. (Amended 1967, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1985, No. 85, § 6; 2001, No. 106 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2009, No. 123 (Adj. Sess.), § 39; No. 152 (Adj. Sess.), § 19, eff. June 1, 2010.)

======================================================================================================

23 V.S.A. § 1252. Uses of sirens or colored lamps or both

§ 1252. Uses of sirens or colored lamps or both

(a) When satisfied as to the condition and use of the vehicle, the commissioner shall issue and may revoke, for cause, permits for sirens or colored signal lamps in the following manner:

(1) Sirens or blue or blue and white signal lamps, or a combination of these, for all law enforcement vehicles, owned or leased by a law enforcement agency or a certified law enforcement officer and if the applicant is a constable, the application shall be accompanied by a certification by the town clerk that the applicant is the duly elected or appointed constable and attesting that the town has not voted to limit the constable's authority to engage in enforcement activities under 24 V.S.A. § 1936a.

(2) Sirens and red or red and white signal lamps for all ambulances, fire apparatus, vehicles owned or leased by, or provided to volunteer firemen and voluntary rescue squad members, including a vehicle owned by a volunteer's employer when the volunteer has the written authorization of the employer to use the vehicle for emergency fire or rescue activities and motor vehicles used solely in rescue operations.

(3) No vehicle may be authorized a permit for more than one of the combinations described in subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection.

(4) Notwithstanding subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection, no motor vehicle, other than one owned by the applicant, shall be issued a permit until such time as the commissioner can adequately record the information regarding both the owner of the vehicle and the applicant for the permit.

(5) Upon application to the commissioner, the commissioner may issue a single permit for all the vehicles owned or leased by the applicant.

( B) Amber signal lamps shall be used on road maintenance vehicles, service vehicles, and wreckers and shall be used on all registered snow removal equipment when in use removing snow on public highways and the amber lamps shall be mounted so as to be visible from all sides of the motor vehicle. A vehicle equipped with an amber signal lamp may not be issued a permit for the installation and use of a siren. (Amended 1967, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 1969, No. 259 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 1985, No. 85, § 7; 1987, No. 5; 1987, No. 241 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 1991, No. 128 (Adj. Sess.), § 1 eff. April 10, 1992; 1995, No. 88 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2001, No. 106 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)

23 V.S.A. § 1255. Exceptions

§ 1255. Exceptions

(1) The provisions of section 1251 of this title shall not apply to directional signal lamps of a type approved by the commissioner of motor vehicles.

(2) All persons with motor vehicles equipped as provided in subdivision 1252(a)(1) and (2) of this title, shall use the sirens or colored signal lamps or both only in the direct performance of their official duties. When any person other than a law enforcement officer is operating a motor vehicle equipped as provided in subdivision 1252(a)(1) of this title, the colored signal lamp shall be either removed, covered or hooded. When any person, other than an authorized ambulance operator, firefighter, or authorized operator of vehicles used in rescue operation is operating a motor vehicle equipped as provided in subdivision 1252(a)(2) of this title, the colored signal lamps shall be either removed, covered or hooded unless the operator holds a senior operator license. (Added 1967, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; amended 1985, No. 85, § 8; 1995, No. 88 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Travelin Man said:
Don't read too much into what was posted. Having the violator remove the illegal tint in lieu of getting a summons to appear in court is an option the LEO can give the violator. Some choose to do so, some don't. It's going to be far harder to remove an illegal exhaust on the side of the roadway than it is window tint. In the event of the exhaust, some LEO's might choose to give a verbal warning, some might simply issue a summons and let the violator go, while others might choose to have the vehicle towed.

There's a lot of difference between a motor and a lightbar.

No, the law is clear. It says "equipped" not "operating".

It wasn't a single case. And even if it was, a lot of people forget that the violators attitude has A LOT to do with the outcome of a case.

Exactly.

Any LEO who pulls over and tickets someone who has the correct colored lights for their state and the proper documentation for their state, but they happen to have crossed the state line where you run the opposite colors... Clearly on a power trip. Running said lights is a completely different story, but just having them equipped? Seriously dude?

:hopeless: :nono:

What if it is an agency owned vehicle that is clearly marked?

"And even if it was, a lot of people forget that the violators attitude has A LOT to do with the outcome of a case."

So does the attitude of the LEO. If I'm authorized by my agency to have what I have and you are a complete dick to me about it just because I crossed the state line means your supervisor will be receiving a strongly worded letter. :yes:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Allow me to hijack this thread a bit-

I am working on revamping the defunct "state light law chart" we used to have. It obviously would be for informational purposes only.... this time I'd like to include a link to the actual full text of the laws as well. Please suggest any other info that would be easy to add like legality of display vs. use in each state etc.

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
50theman said:
Talking about rude, you are disgracing my profession. I think your the childish one, you assume I'm a douche bag because I work for the state. Let me set things straight rookie, first its State Police not state patrol. Why don't you take your childish playing and go back to plowing snow or cutting grass. You sound like nothing but a disgruntled wannabe. You have not been a member here very long and you feel you know everything, all we were trying to do is tell you the law and no I don't feel guilty about nothing, because everything I do in my profession is with in the limits of the law.

Brandon, grow up and quit acting like a douche bag.

no im not disgracing your profession im simply pointing out what the general consensus is on the internet about virginia state police secondly you never once heard 50theman you are a douche bag out of my mouth did you no i didnt think so no i dont feel like i know everything i do feel that it is in no way illegal for me to pass through your state with whatever colors i have on my car because my car is legal in my home state and that is what matters regardless i have in no way disputed that the law was the law in virginia i dont live there i wouldnt know i am nothing close to a disgruntled wanna be if you read my post in the newbie thread i said i dont want to be a cop because i wouldnt feel right upholding laws i dont agree with if you feel like im a douche bag thats your own opinion ill take it as a term of endearment and thank you kindly as for hoisy i apologize didnt mean to hi-jack your thread

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
360SafetyGear said:
If you CAN write a proper sentence with punctuation and spelling, have some pride and do it.
All lower case with no punctuation, and a mish mash of errors shows a lack of respect and implies that you didn't bother to pass basic English in high school. Just saying, makes you look like a hick that can't spell. :haha: :bonk:

if thats how you feel thats fine i dont feel its a respect thing i dont have a hard time reading anything punctuated or not you were correct i didnt pass english in high school because i refused to write worthless papers required by the state my personal opinion is english is the biggest waste of time ever and truthfully to this day it has in no way shape or form made me look unprofessional in my line of business a diploma is only saying you fulfilled state requirements ive seen people dumber than a box of rocks with zero common sense get one so not much is said about having a diploma in my book like i said if need be i will put in the proper punctuation as i said before it is the internet i do not care

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
mredd007 said:
if thats how you feel thats fine i dont feel its a respect thing i dont have a hard time reading anything punctuated or not you were correct i didnt pass english in high school because i refused to write worthless papers required by the state my personal opinion is english is the biggest waste of time ever and truthfully to this day it has in no way shape or form made me look unprofessional in my line of business a diploma is only saying you fulfilled state requirements ive seen people dumber than a box of rocks with zero common sense get one so not much is said about having a diploma in my book like i said if need be i will put in the proper punctuation as i said before it is the internet i do not care

Well that's too bad you feel that way......

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
mredd007 said:

Most of us care....perhaps you are in the wrong place?? Try the illegal immigrant/Home Depot forum. No one speaks english there or cares to either. Just sayin....may work for someone like you. :)

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
mredd07, you should probably educate yourself a little more before you start giving advice on the internet. I am a cop in the state of Maryland, which is a reciprocity state. If you come driving into Maryland with Florida tags and a tinted front windshield, that is illegal in the state of Maryland. Florida might allow a tinted front window, but I am not trained on Florida laws. I am 100% legally allowed to write a citation for illegal window tint on your vehicle. You can come to court and argue the ticket if you want. It is actually very easy to do. You bring your Florida registration and a copy of the Florida law that allows you to have that tint and the citation will be dropped. HOWEVER, I am allowed to write that citation.

You gave some example of a lift on your truck... that might be legal in Iowa, but it is in violation of Maryland law. I can pull you over, I can write you a ticket. It is perfectly legal for me to write that ticket.

If you don't know what you are talking about, maybe you should keep your OPINION to yourself when someone is requesting FACT...

bwoodruff said:
So does the attitude of the LEO. If I'm authorized by my agency to have what I have and you are a complete dick to me about it just because I crossed the state line means your supervisor will be receiving a strongly worded letter. :yes:
Thats a poor attitude... If you are in violation of the law, you need to worry more about yourself than the attitude of the officer.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
mcpd2025 said:
mredd07, you should probably educate yourself a little more before you start giving advice on the internet. I am a cop in the state of Maryland, which is a reciprocity state. If you come driving into Maryland with Florida tags and a tinted front windshield, that is illegal in the state of Maryland. Florida might allow a tinted front window, but I am not trained on Florida laws. I am 100% legally allowed to write a citation for illegal window tint on your vehicle. You can come to court and argue the ticket if you want. It is actually very easy to do. You bring your Florida registration and a copy of the Florida law that allows you to have that tint and the citation will be dropped. HOWEVER, I am allowed to write that citation.

You gave some example of a lift on your truck... that might be legal in Iowa, but it is in violation of Maryland law. I can pull you over, I can write you a ticket. It is perfectly legal for me to write that ticket.

If you don't know what you are talking about, maybe you should keep your OPINION to yourself when someone is requesting FACT...

Thats a poor attitude... If you are in violation of the law, you need to worry more about yourself than the attitude of the officer.

Unless your goal is to discourage people from traveling through your fine state, you have a poor attitude. Someone is not going to take the lift out of their truck just so they can pass through your state.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.