Suggested Windshield Strip Tint Percentage - Whelen Inner Edge FST

texasblueline

Jul 16, 2023
Texas
I drive an unmarked '22 Ford PIU equipped with Whelen Inner Edge FST lightbars in the windshield. The lightheads are very visible when off, so to make it less obvious it's a police vehicle I'm getting a tint strip across the top of the windshield. The only other front emergency lights are high beam wig-wags so I don't want the Whelens to become too hard to see on a bright day. What tint percentage would be recommended to make the lightheads almost completely unnoticeable when off without impacting their visibility too much when I need to run code?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
I've heard about the same trick but I've never seen the final results. Dumb follow up questions...

1. How do the pantyhose compare to tint?
  2. Do you stretch them over each individual lighthead?
  3. How do you secure the pantyhose to the lightheads? Glue?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I've heard about the same trick but I've never seen the final results. Dumb follow up questions...

1. How do the pantyhose compare to tint?
  2. Do you stretch them over each individual lighthead?
  3. How do you secure the pantyhose to the lightheads? Glue?

1. I think they do an average job disguising the light without sacrificing the output as much as tint does.
2. In the times I have used them and seen them used, it is easier to stretch them over the housing. I've seen them used on single and dual Talons/Avengers and the various interior lightbars. In the OPs case, I would stretch one over each side of the interior lightbar.
3. I have always "tied" the end off and not had an issue. Once it's there, its there. Glue may work as well but I haven't tried that.

I went through my files and don't have any photos of it in use unfortunately.

Reactions: SEPD_52

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
Thanks for the info tsquale! I've heard of this trick a while ago and totally forgot about it until this post. I have an admin/undercover squad coming up where I was planning on using a tint strip on the upper windshield but was not crazy about how much the output would be reduced. This seems like it's a fair compromise between concealment and light output.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I agree with @tsquale

I will add that depending on how tight you squeeze the pantyhose over the light heads, it will darken or lighten the “tint” so you can kind of customize it to your liking.

Reactions: tsquale

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I ran a rear deck FedSig Halogen 8 head SM bar in one of my unmarked sedans with the pantyhose stretched over the entire length and it worked very well, you had to look hard to notice there was a long something mounted there and it's light output was hardly if at all effected and no the heat didn't melt it.

texasblueline

Jul 16, 2023
Texas
Thanks for the suggestion @tsquale . I got some pantyhose and tried it today, however I could only get it over the driver side housing. The passenger side has a cable connecting at each end of the housing, so I can't work the hose from one end of the housing to the other like I did on the driver's side. The housing is too wide to try to slide it on from front to back and the hose kept tearing.

It does somewhat cut down on how noticeable the clear lenses are and the lights seem just about as bright, but the housing itself is still obvious since it's flush against the top of the windshield. I think the hose would work well for a light that's not flush against the glass, and maybe if I got even more opaque hose it'd make the housing less visible but I worry that'd cut down on the light output too. Since I can't get it over the passenger side anyways I'll probably get a strip of 50% tint across the top of the windshield to camouflage them better.

For reference, here's a before and after picture of the hose on the driver side housing at about high noon:

lights before.jpg

lights after.jpg

Reactions: tsquale and SEPD_52

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Having had multiple departments request this, here are some things that Ive learned. Most often, I do a 35% strip. 35% still doesn’t completely hide the light. However, I use Whelen lights, and 35% doesn’t cut down the light too bad, it still shines through plenty bright. Another option, is to do a lighter tint like 50% on a tint strip, and also on the light heads, that will make the light nearly invisible, but it cuts the light down a bit more than the 35% strip only. Another thing that Ive noticed, the tint strip is way less obvious if you cut it to match the curve of the top of the windshield. Don’t do it ghetto style and just use a straight piece of tint that arcs across the windshield. So, having said that, do whatever works for you, but those are the things that I have done. However the 50% strip, and pantyhose seems like it might be the best route. As far as the side with two cables, you need to remove both sides of the light bar, and slide the panty hose over the drivers side, over the cable that connects the two sides, and then to the passenger side.

Reactions: SEPD_52 and tsquale

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
Dumb question, but has anyone tried 3d printing some louvers to slap in front of them? It'd cut down the inbound light that gets reflected around, without having much/any effect on actual warning?

Reactions: RL1

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Dumb question, but has anyone tried 3d printing some louvers to slap in front of them? It'd cut down the inbound light that gets reflected around, without having much/any effect on actual warning?
It would be pretty hard to get the tolerances exactly correct and it would introduce more potential points for rattles squeaks and other irritating noises....

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Not to mention the dust/pollen collection that louvers would attract…..
I wish there was a practical solution to subdue the appearance without negating output

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.