Switchbox reminder tone

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I have a switchbox that's mounted where it's panel face is normally hidden from view of the driver and occaisionally a function is unintentionally activated.

I want to incorporate a timed reminder tone to audibly remind the function(s) is activated. I looked for a load sensing switch for the switchbox's battery feed wire that would sense a raise in amperage draw and finding none settled on an interval timer switch to trip a buzzer. My only question now is, to wire 6 switch output wires to the timer I assume I need diodes on each of the 6 circuits to prevent back-flow from any switch back to the remaining switches.

What diodes do I need and where to get them?- Radio Shack stocks less and less of these parts and their store staff are clueless nowadays.

NiftyX

Jan 20, 2012
Oklahoma, US
You should still be able to find 3A rectifier diodes at Radio Shack. I got some not long ago. Might be cheaper to get them online though.

You could optionally wire up an LED on the dash that is on or flashes when a function if activated. Not sure what you're using it for (work wise). I don't like the audible tones I've have on boxes in the past and turned them off.

fireman29b

May 23, 2010
Guthrie, OK
My Carson 409 beeps at me when mine are on. VERY helpful since you can't hear the "waahhhh, waahhhh, waahhhh" of the old rotator bars in the roof anymore.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I had a similar problem as I have mine controlled by remote relays (no switch box) and can not tell when they are on during the day. To fix the problem, I found some single flashing amber 12vdc LED's. I wired one to each relay circuit and put them in the area of my rear window so I could see them in my rear view mirror.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I've got the Mastercom in my Explorer set to do the reminder tones. I'd rather hear a "beep" every 5 seconds than drive around with my alley light on for 5 hours on day shift....

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
IDK about you guys, but I hear it ALL THE TIME on the radio down here. "Unit XX your XYZ lights are on." or even just "Check your lights."

Personally I can't stand the reminder tone but I'm pretty confident in my personal ability to remember what lights are on when.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
The reminder beep is nice in theory............ until you're stuck on a traffic detail for 5+ hours, having to listen to that beep every 5 seconds..... it's enough to drive anyone batty.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. :crazy:

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
Wire it up with a switch. You can turn it on and off when you want. Of coarse you will need a beep to remind you your beep is off lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.