Texas DPS Freedom Lightbar question?

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
The new DPS Liberty bars are very nice. I am a little surprised they went with four TDs, each with two 3-LED clusters. Would have expected them to use Pioneers.

K9Vic said:
The round plug is not for a controller, it connects into the MNSTAR wiring harness that goes to a set of relays controlled by their on custom toggle switches. You have to cut the plug and just wire it to what ever controller you want to use. The MNSTAR is one huge wiring harness that has everything on it for the lights, siren and radios so the install is quick and easy, basically just plug and play. It is very expensive and and one of the few items that they have always swapped between cars. The the MX7000, Freedom and Liberty are setup the same with the lighting so they can just swap the wire harness as they cost like $2000 new.

The square 12-PIN is just a Whelen LED arrow controller, the TLD1 you have will work fine.

Question if you don't mind, the TA wires, which one's are for left/center/right? Been trying to figure it out on the engineering rendering but to no avail. Not planning on using the TLD1 but wiring into a Touchmaster Delta (latching switches)

Thanks in advance!

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
360SafetyGear said:
Question if you don't mind, the TA wires, which one's are for left/center/right? Been trying to figure it out on the engineering rendering but to no avail. Not planning on using the TLD1 but wiring into a Touchmaster Delta (latching switches)
Thanks in advance!

Does it have the harness for the ta also. If so then you need a ta controller since it is not a two wire ta.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
360SafetyGear said:
It has the 12 pin square harness (number 32), I see it in the Whelen PDF but cannot figure out what each wire controls. I really don't want to have a separate controller LOL

Its the standard Whelen T/A configuration...

http://www.whelen.com/install/132/13274.pdf That should help ya... Common Power with individual grounds for activation...

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
360SafetyGear said:
It has the 12 pin square harness (number 32), I see it in the Whelen PDF but cannot figure out what each wire controls. I really don't want to have a separate controller LOL

Each lighthead has its own wire, I believe negative switched IIRC...

SEAFIRE

Aug 3, 2011
Seadrift Texas
For those here who are registered to purchase stuff through the Texas Facilities commission

State Surplus Property — Texas Facilities Commission

They are running out of these lightbars, and all that the Austin and San Antonio surplus locations had in stock were the older FL models.

While still a deal at $200 each, the newer FX models sold out quickly once word got out. I still see DPS cars equipped with the FX/FL Lightbars so they may get more in stock in the future.

SEAFIRE

Aug 3, 2011
Seadrift Texas
Just FYI:

They only have 6 of these ex-DPS lightbars left, 2 in Austin, 4 in San Antonio. All FL models, they have been out of stock of the FX models for a while.

We picked up three FL models this past week, guy in Austin has no idea when they might get more. I still see a few DPS cars running around with these lightbars.

They also have the TACTLD1 traffic controllers now, for $20, the one we picked up looked brand new, but was missing the power wire with plug, I guess the wire harness got left in the cars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsngrimm

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.