The Effects of Window Tint

Alec R

Sep 9, 2014
eLightbars
Will lights be effective placed behind tint? How do I work with the reduced output? 

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
TIR optics punch through tint better than linear (LIN) optics in most cases. The disadvantedge of TIR optics comes with their off-axis output. TIR optics have a more focused beam of light which allows it to punch the tint. LIN optics have a more widespread optic reflector therefore giving better off-axis output. I have included photos of each style.

TIR optics (Whelen TIR 6)

adr650.zenseeker.net_SignalLighting_TIR6.jpg

LINear optics (Whelen LIN 6)

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_61HegZZFIeL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mrlunchbox
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Tint will also effect the color of your LED lighthead.  

Most aftermarket tints are in the "blue" family.  Using a blue lighthead behind it will still produce a blue light although it could look "dimmer".  Using a red/amber/white/green lighthead behind it will severely alter its "brightness" and its color.  This is because of the specific wavelength of LED color that is being used.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
I can attest to that! I learned the hard way! Went to have my talon installed hanging from my headliner. I have a factory strip in my truck. It's so dark and blue that it turned the red purple and the white blue. No good here in MA! LoL. Needless to say I had to change my plans.

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
8943484578_5e71647be6_o.jpg

Here is a good picture of a Whelen Dominator through the factory GM rear window tint.

EDIT: Tir3 Dominator in Traverse

Whelen Inner Edge Lin6 LED's and 2 Whelen Avengers behind 20% tint.

fireman1327

Apr 4, 2011
Washington State
Considering the 2015 Tahoe for our K-9 unit. We use almost limo tint in the back and sides to protect our dogs. We need the unit slick top help with our duties. Likely going with a sound off set up. So... The question is will the new nforce traffic advisor or an ultra lite traffic advisor work better behind the tint?

OnSitePSE

Jul 7, 2014
Houston, TX
Ultimately you would want to mount the light as close to the window as possible. If allowed, trim the tint a little smaller than the light head. That way you wouldn't be able to get light in the vehicle but your light will get out better. Also with the aftermarket tint trimmed you wouldn't see the light easily through the factory tint.

If you do choose to keep the limo tint without being trimmed the beware of a lot of flashback as I'm sure you're already aware of.

Couldn't give you a answer on the sound off lights, but as stated above. I do know the Whelen TIR3 Dominator works better behind tint then the LINZ6 one does.

Hope that helps.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Considering the 2015 Tahoe for our K-9 unit. We use almost limo tint in the back and sides to protect our dogs. We need the unit slick top help with our duties. Likely going with a sound off set up. So... The question is will the new nforce traffic advisor or an ultra lite traffic advisor work better behind the tint?
I have an Ultralite 12 in the back window of my 2008 F150, it has the factory tint plus 2% limo tint on top of that. The Ultralite sits right up against the window and it is decent. Not as bright as I would like it to be but better that a LIN optic would be. I would also recommend cutting the film around the light to aid in performance.

Reactions: Station 3
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Here is a demo of the effects of tint on my POV...  

In the front I have a Feniex Pegasus and a Python 100 in my windshield (behind a tinted windshield) and in the grill are Feniex T-6.

At about the 0:50 mark is the side of my Durango...  Both the light in the front and the light in the rear side window are the same lighthead (Feniex T-6).

All lightheads used have a TIR optic.  You can see in both cases where the lights behind the tint are slightly "darker/dimmer" than the ones not behind tint, but they are still very effective.  

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Here is a demo of the effects of tint on my POV...  

In the front I have a Feniex Pegasus and a Python 100 in my windshield (behind a tinted windshield) and in the grill are Feniex T-6.

At about the 0:50 mark is the side of my Durango...  Both the light in the front and the light in the rear side window are the same lighthead (Feniex T-6).

All lightheads used have a TIR optic.  You can see in both cases where the lights behind the tint are slightly "darker/dimmer" than the ones not behind tint, but they are still very effective.  

How dark is the tint on your windshield? Is it just the top strip? Mine is wicked dark blue so it made my red white talon turn blue/purple.  :(   I wonder how much better the pegasus would be? 

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
How dark is the tint on your windshield? Is it just the top strip? Mine is wicked dark blue so it made my red white talon turn blue/purple.  :(   I wonder how much better the pegasus would be? 
I honestly don't know what the tint on my windshield is, all tint was already there when I bought it...  I'm assuming its 20% on the perimeter windows, any I'm assuming 35% on the windshield...  And no, its NOT just a tint strip, its the whole windshield...  But again, like I said, any color other than blue will be drastically effected because tints are in the blue family...  The TIR optics will be "better" in the terms of punch, but the color still might be altered...

I disagree with the TIR optics vs Linear.  Maybe the initial versions of lights, but not anymore....I can post a video of a pair of Whelen Avengers and TIR6 Slimlighter and the Avengers are just as equal if not more potent through my factory tint. .  Avengers hae DOM of 2014, Slimlighter, 2013....so they're both using the newer diodes.  

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Slim lighters have never been impressive to me. First secondary light I ever purchased and don't miss it at all

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
In either example, LIN or TIR, I would concentrate on how close you can get the light to the window. The type of lighthead should be chosen by where on the vehicle it is to be used. Try to get the lens as close to the window as possible when using darker tint.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I think its stupid to have a NAME BRAND EXPENSIVE lighthead all nice and shiny and bright and then stick it behind dark limo tint and now the light looks like a Chinese knockoff in power........ STUPID!

Most of my supervisors drive vehicles like that.......

And all these comments about how awesome these lights look behind window tint is I think just lies... Have you been to South Texas where its about 100 degrees almost every day and stuff just lights on fire for no reason on the side of the road due to the heat? Window tint is a big fail in the output of the light down here good thing some state troopers are smart and cut out the tint from the rear so that they lights they have will be visible.  

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.