The HAM Radio Thread

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I've had my license for 11 years but I just started getting into HF (10 meters) within the last couple years. I'm a tech so 10 meter SSB voice is my only voice priveleges on HF.

When I first installed my 10m mobile rig in my Jeep I made a contact to Texas and Utah, and I thought that was pretty sweet. 10m is REALLY hopping the last 2 weeks and I've managed to make contacts from Iowa to the island of Maui, Hawaii (3974 miles) last week, and made one to Buenos Aires, Argentina (5710 miles) today on my way to work. That's pretty slammin for 80w mobile!

Any exciting radio crap that you guys have done can go here!

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
What are you using for a rig and antenna?

I did contact Antigua on 6m while testing equipment prior to field day this year.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
KB3RVV here.

While we have about 8 different frequencies we are able to use throughout the business and public safety bands through our SAR team's membership in the Appalachian Search and Rescue Conference we still suggest that members who are able to get their ham license do so. Being able to use local repeaters as car-to-car communications while en-route or as backup communications on scene has proven to be useful on numerous occasions, especially given the topography of West Virginia.

I can't say I've done much exciting with ham radio, mostly using it for SAR response and occasionally volunteering with ARES sponsored events (although I'm not registered as an ARES operator).

What I think is exciting about ham radio though is its role as the "original" interoperable radio system. Take a 5k race for example, where you might have several volunteers on the course you'd want to communicate with, along with lead and chase vehicles, and local fire, police and EMS. If you wanted to effectively communicate with everyone, you might have to rent radios for your volunteers, and borrow radios from (possibly each of) the fire, police and EMS units on scene to be able to talk to everyone. As a race director for a local 5k, I once had to carry three separate radios, one to communicate with my volunteers, another to communicate with the police, and a third to communicate with fire. Half a dozen organized and carefully placed HAMs however can make sure that everyone can communicate effectively and quickly.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
ryanm said:
What are you using for a rig and antenna?
I did contact Antigua on 6m while testing equipment prior to field day this year.

It's a Magnum 257HP. Not the best radio or even a "HAM" brand, but I needed it's small face size to fit into the overhead security console in my Jeep Wrangler, and I couldn't beat the price as an introductory radio into 10 meters. The antenna is just a 3-foot CB antenna mounted behind my passenger side tail light. I have a 102" whip that I put on there sometimes if I'm gonna try to be on the radio a lot but it's kind of a PITA since I have to take it off to fit in my garage.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
my ham elemer has more radios than most people would ever need. he's been a ham for over 45 years and he's only 59.

he has radios that will do everything from 0 - 2196. and recently tried chasing the waterfall. (digital packet stuff)

I'm a general but only have tech equipment at the moment. Ive worked some DX to puerto rico and a few other countries but never gotten a qsl card for it. i spend most of my time on several local counties worth of repeaters and on 70cm (aka 440) linked in repeaters that cover 2/3rds of the state of Tn.

On my current setup i can reach from huntsville to nashville on 25 watts (2 meter all mode). (pics of antennae setup is in longest thread)

I've worked a few relay/ bike ride/ walk events and they can be entertaining,. We have a large one coming up in 3 weeks called the ragner relay wich is where teams of runners go from chattanooga to nashville in a day and a half taking turns running. it comes through my clubs county around 1 or 2am in the morning.

i got into HAM because to be a member of the EMA group you had to be one. we have a club radio number we can use for emergencies on the EMA or sheriffs dept frequencies. My dual band Wouxun comes in handy for this. ive recently purchased a dual band mobile but awaiting a few things before it gets installed. once its ready i guess ill take out my ol trusty 11 meter rig (aka CB) because there wont be room for it in my lil car and the trunk wouldn't look right with 4 antennaes LOL

I worked a few different states on field day.

Ive helped setup more antennaes than ive transmitted on. i've been to a ham tail gate party and 2 hamfests. Looking at getting extra next year maybe to be a VE to help new folks become HAMS as well but that idea is kinda dependant on my work schedule as well.

Although ham radio is a neat hobby its one that is very expensive if you buy everything new.

wx8sky

May 21, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I flew from Cleveland to Nashville via SWA - was allowed to use my HT all the way (pilot was cool about it), on 1 watt, I was able to hit the Cleveland repeater about 20 minutes out from landing in Nashville :)

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
n1mcc

i love 6m 6m SSB mobile is fun while going down 95 doing 70

one of the Local fellow moto guys has a 10m motrac 150 watt he is putting on 29.6

also love 900

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Been a tech for less than a year. Love the idea of getting into HF, but dont' have the time or money to throw at it currently. Got into it for SHTF purposes and to quench a long-standing fascination with radio gear that I've had since I was a kid.

Federal_Agent

Mar 1, 2011
USA Kentucky
I've been licensed almost 23 years now. I was the youngest amateur radio operator in a tri-state region at the time. I've completed DXCC, WAS and WAZ, tried everything in the hobby. I'm primarily a HF guy and love QRP and mobile operations. I find myself getting in and out of the hobby as interest and time change. With living in a HOA, I can't put up anything other than stealth antennas, so my 70' crankup tower and antennas have been in storage. I've owned and operated everything from homebrew radios I've built to the the Icom 7800. Being in the military has allowed me to meet OP's around the world and work from countries I would have never had the opportunity before.

I am a member of the following ham radio clubs...

Accredited ARRL and W5YI Volunteer License Examiner, Kentucky Contest Group, International DX Association.

I am most proud of the following accomplishments in ham radio...

I have an 8 Band DXCC, 6 Band WAC, 6 Band WAZ and 5 band WAS. I have over 323 countries confirmed on both 12 and 17. Also have at least the 5-band "WAN" Award... Worked All Neighbors, "WAS" Award... Worked All Streets ;)

The biggest pileup I ever heard or busted was...

Multiple, but most memorable is 3Y0PI on 10 meters.

blackcherryxj

Jan 1, 2011
Western Kentucky, USA
I got into Ham Radio when I was 13 I believe. I got bit by the VHF bug very hard. There wasn't anyone around me within around 100 miles I couldn't talk to on VHF. I had it all on 2m, FM, AM, SSB, CW, and digital. I had fun with that for several years, because the equipment wasn't too expensive and the people were fun to talk to.

Fast forward a couple years, no-code generals came around, and I jumped on it. I then got into HF digital, and got bit by that hard. I even worked Europe, on RTTY mobile. The guys thought I was crazy signing /m at the end of the call. Now that I'm 21, I sat down one day and calculated how much all my radio equipment and antennas and such was worth. I think when I hit the price of a brand new pick-up truck, I just stopped counting.

The best thing about Ham radio, is get to be friends with people. Because when these people get ready to get rid of equipment, they will usually cut deals. And if you young like I am, and don't mind heights, climb some towers so long as they are safe. I've made lots and lots of spending money that way, or gotten equipment because the older guy couldn't climb and wanted to help a young guy out. But the friendships you make with this, will last a life time, and the contacts are invaluable. You never know when the president of the company your trying to get hired with is a Ham, and you talk with him on the radio and have sat down to chat over a meal a couple times.

Paul

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Been a ham for fifteen years. I got tired of the local rag chewing, as talking on a radio at work doesn't make me want to talk about the weather, what radio I'm using and so forth when I'm off work.

Now I want to get back into just a bit. I'd really like to do the HF stuff, but I'm only a tech. Ben, fill me in on the 10m SSB stuff, as I may pursue that. Maybe I should start studying to be a general since code isn't required for it anymore.

Only problem I got about trying to do HF from home is I don't have a house of my own. I live with a buddy of mine, but the house is his fiancee's, so that kinda kills setting up an HF rig. Not to mention the damned money associated with getting a decent HF rig, antenna and tower.

Only ham work I can do right now is 2m, as I have an old Relm WHS150 I got some ham freqs in, as well as a Radio Shack HTX202. I've gotten to the point that I don't think I want a mobile in my vehicle anymore, but considering I gotta do the install work on it, I may change my mind. Still, it'd be difficult, as it's a Jeep Cherokee and not much room for a radio.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
grfd711 said:
Been a ham for fifteen years. I got tired of the local rag chewing, as talking on a radio at work doesn't make me want to talk about the weather, what radio I'm using and so forth when I'm off work.

Now I want to get back into just a bit. I'd really like to do the HF stuff, but I'm only a tech. Ben, fill me in on the 10m SSB stuff, as I may pursue that. Maybe I should start studying to be a general since code isn't required for it anymore.

Only problem I got about trying to do HF from home is I don't have a house of my own. I live with a buddy of mine, but the house is his fiancee's, so that kinda kills setting up an HF rig. Not to mention the damned money associated with getting a decent HF rig, antenna and tower.

Only ham work I can do right now is 2m, as I have an old Relm WHS150 I got some ham freqs in, as well as a Radio Shack HTX202. I've gotten to the point that I don't think I want a mobile in my vehicle anymore, but considering I gotta do the install work on it, I may change my mind. Still, it'd be difficult, as it's a Jeep Cherokee and not much room for a radio.

As a Tech, you can do 10M phone (SSB, AM) from 28.300 - 28.500, max output of 200 Watts.

As for upgrading, do it, you can get a good used HF rig for between $300 - $500, you don't need a big tower and beam, just a good tuner and a dipole antenna. All I have ever used is a dipole and a 100 watt Icom IC-735, with a tuner and worked almost all states and have my DXCC.

I have an Extra class license and have been licensed for over 25 years.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Ken I would highly recommend 10 meters, it's slammin' lately. I've been tuning around the dial and almost every conversation I hear is older guys say how they haven't heard 10m this active or propogating so well since the late 50's.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Maybe pursuing my general will be just the thing I need to give me a break from FD, EMS, HAZMAT and what not. Guess I'll look in to it. Where's the best place to get a book to study for the exam? I don't even think Radio Shack will carry anything ham related anymore.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
radio shack is slowly getting back into ham stuff.

heathkit has started producing kits again.

my ham elmer bought an antron 99 and has worked 10 - 20 meters on it and he says its the best antenna hes used for it next to a wire.

just type in general amteur radio exam.

i studied by taking taking tests and reading a few study guides. and passed. its 35 questions just like the tech.

All i have is a 2 meter all mode and my wouxun lol. i go to my ham elmers or anothe rmember of my clubs if i want to work dx.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Jarred J. said:
All i have is a 2 meter all mode and my wouxun lol.

Nothing wrong with the Wouxun! I have their portable, it's actually really nice for just over 100 bucks. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I'm actually waiting for their dual band, remote face mobile unit to get released (I'm on the reserved list) for my Jeep.

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
I got my ticket in 1998 as a Tech, KB2ZXI. I upgraded to General in 2008. I am studying for my extra now.

I have a Kenwood HF, Yaesu dual band mobile and portable.

Founding member and 1st President of Genesee Valley Amateur Radio Association,www.gvara.org

I have a vanity call, N3DSP. I wanted something that related to my job as a 911 Dispatcher for my vanity.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ben E. said:
Nothing wrong with the Wouxun! I have their portable, it's actually really nice for just over 100 bucks. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I'm actually waiting for their dual band, remote face mobile unit to get released (I'm on the reserved list) for my Jeep.

yeah im on that list too.

I also have an icom 207 and have another one on the way as well.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Ben E. said:

Toying with the idea of telling the wife to get me a Magnum 257 for Christmas. Does it do OK for you on ten meters? Being only a tech (and no upgrade in the foreseeable future) is it worth having? My elmer wants me to get the RS HTX-10, but they are long out of production, don't use MOSFET finals, and the backlighting is usually shot on the used ones around. I say I should stick with a Magnum export radio and just make the appropriate mods for 10 meters.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
kadetklapp said:
Toying with the idea of telling the wife to get me a Magnum 257 for Christmas. Does it do OK for you on ten meters? Being only a tech (and no upgrade in the foreseeable future) is it worth having? My elmer wants me to get the RS HTX-10, but they are long out of production, don't use MOSFET finals, and the backlighting is usually shot on the used ones around. I say I should stick with a Magnum export radio and just make the appropriate mods for 10 meters.

I really like it. AM/FM/SSB, so even if you upgraded to General, you already have FM abilities on 10 meters. It's worked out great for me so far. It actually comes as 10-meters only from the factory (but will stray down below and above 10), so no modifications necessary. The only mod that I did to it was move a jumper inside the radio (very easy) to make it usable on CB freq's. I can't publicly confirm or deny that I use it on 11 meters during my Jeep club outings since CB's are required, however :D . We'll just say that I use the 11 meter mod for "monitoring only". Even after that mod you just switch frequency banks and you've got 10 and 11 available full-time. If you get it and end up doing that, the 10 meter phone band is in freq bank "E", and 11 meters is in bank "H". It's nice too, because you can switch from a channel number display for "monitoring CB", and back to frequency display for 10-meters.

I'm only a tech also, with no plans to upgrade anytime soon and I'm glad I bought it. A very cheap way to get into 10 meters, and it's performed very well for me so far.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I started shopping on fleabay and didn't realize the pricing on some ten meter radios. Saw one RS HTX-10 with about 16 bids on it. Wow!

KC9QNN

Dec 4, 2010
USA Wisconsin
KC9QNN here, have been a tech for awhile now, never really looked into the 10M stuff. I am running a Yaesu FT-8800R in my car and have a VX-7R portable. I am just a radio dork and that is why I got into the ham radios plus being Signal in the Army helped fuel it as well.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
KC9QNN said:
KC9QNN here, have been a tech for awhile now, never really looked into the 10M stuff. I am running a Yaesu FT-8800R in my car and have a VX-7R portable. I am just a radio dork and that is why I got into the ham radios plus being Signal in the Army helped fuel it as well.

I feel ya. I started getting into radios when I was a kid. Loved those old Regency slant faced mobiles. Still have some. I run an ICV8000 in my Ram, a Yaesu 2600 in the shack, and my two HTs are a VX150 and a VX8R.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Didn't Relm get the slant faced from Regency, and just change the knobs? Think they called 'em the RH256. I had a brand new one a while back, but donated it to a buddy.

BTW, Ben, I'm winning bid right now on an HTX100 on fleabay, so only time will tell. What you suggest for an antenna for the house, as my roommate is cool with it. He saw another ham buddy of mine on field day and thought the DX stuff was really cool, so when I started talking about it, he said go for it.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
grfd711 said:
Didn't Relm get the slant faced from Regency, and just change the knobs? Think they called 'em the RH256. I had a brand new one a while back, but donated it to a buddy.

BTW, Ben, I'm winning bid right now on an HTX100 on fleabay, so only time will tell. What you suggest for an antenna for the house, as my roommate is cool with it. He saw another ham buddy of mine on field day and thought the DX stuff was really cool, so when I started talking about it, he said go for it.

I have no experience with base HF antennas, since I only do mobile right now. I was going to just buy an Antron-99 base CB antenna, though. Can't go wrong with that. Omni directional, cheap, available. I'd like to get a beam but getting a rotor setup is a little beyond what I'd like to do right now.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
grfd711 said:

RELM and Regency are one in the same.

Regency Electronics Land Mobile.

Love these radios. I've got a brand new in the box RH256B Regency I won on ebay several years ago. I've also got a RELM big-knob 256 that is pretty sweet. Unfortunately neither radio will go down onto two meters. They need aligned on a service monitor and I've yet to find anyone who is willing to do it for a reasonable price. So, they are desk ornaments at the moment!

I've also got a high power 60 watt version of the 256 but the digital display is smoked. And I've got a stack of parts radios that fill up an entire closet.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
kadetklapp said:
RELM and Regency are one in the same.

Regency Electronics Land Mobile.

Love these radios. I've got a brand new in the box RH256B Regency I won on ebay several years ago. I've also got a RELM big-knob 256 that is pretty sweet. Unfortunately neither radio will go down onto two meters. They need aligned on a service monitor and I've yet to find anyone who is willing to do it for a reasonable price. So, they are desk ornaments at the moment!

I've also got a high power 60 watt version of the 256 but the digital display is smoked. And I've got a stack of parts radios that fill up an entire closet.

You wouldn't consider getting rid of one of those, would ya?

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
grfd711 said:
What you suggest for an antenna for the house, as my roommate is cool with it. He saw another ham buddy of mine on field day and thought the DX stuff was really cool, so when I started talking about it, he said go for it.

Start with this?

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5254_5485454847_c46f3a6d18.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
or use these...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_0830111844.jpg

from my build in the longest thread.

its those fiberglass camo net poles that alot of people use for temporary antenna set up like field day.

mine is semi permanet as i put a 6 steel foot pole that has an OD that is slightly smaller then the ID of the fiberglass poles, 2 feet in the ground. put the first section on. then 2 more. guyed it off then added another 2 sections with a metal brace with the dual band cuscraft antenna. its connected to a 2m all mode from the dinosaur age another ham gave me.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
grfd711 said:
You wouldn't consider getting rid of one of those, would ya?

Sure, I had them listed for a while but no one seemed interested. They will not narrowband so they will be bricks in 2012 for anything but ham use. Ham use is possible with correct alignment.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
My antenna "array" is mounted on a telescoping TV antenna pole. I just removed the craptastic TV array.

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh192_kadetklapp_IMAG0355.jpg

Centerfire discone for 2 meters, and Cushcraft fiberglass 800mhz for scanner/Future 900.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
kadetklapp said:
Sure, I had them listed for a while but no one seemed interested. They will not narrowband so they will be bricks in 2012 for anything but ham use. Ham use is possible with correct alignment.

Feel free to PM me some pics and info on how to align the radios, but I'm in a bidding war right now on fleabay for a 10m rig and may not want to drop much more change on radios.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
grfd711 said:
Feel free to PM me some pics and info on how to align the radios, but I'm in a bidding war right now on fleabay for a 10m rig and may not want to drop much more change on radios.

Honestly I know nothing about it. You have to have access to a service monitor. Wayyyy beyond my capabilities. I'll get you some pics. I'm looking for a ten meter too.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
kadetklapp said:
Honestly I know nothing about it. You have to have access to a service monitor. Wayyyy beyond my capabilities. I'll get you some pics. I'm looking for a ten meter too.

I just got my HTX100 in the mail today. I still gotta get an antenna for it. I will have another HTX100 coming in the mail, so if you're interested in that, shoot me a PM.

As far as the Relm, yeah, that sounds out of my league, too. Perhaps for collection/shits n giggles, I still might entertain an offer.

Ben, I'm gonna need a refresher of etiquette of making calls on HF. I think I remember having to say QSO a few times if I'm not calling anybody in particular, but don't remember any of the other shit, though I'd imagine identifying every ten minutes and at the end of a convo is pretty universal on any band per the basic rules.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
28.400 is the calling frequency, but you'll hear people calling on almost every freq. Our band limits for voice are 28.300 to 28.500, Upper sideband is the accepted voice mode.

Usually I just tune through the band and try to find someone that a bunch of people are lined up to talk to and wait my turn, trying to call them every time they are done with the last guy. If you're just calling out for anybody, the way I call is "CQ DX, CQ DX, CQ DX, this is (my callsign phonetically)". If I'm mobile, sometimes I'll add "mobile" after my callsign. The hardest part about getting into HF for me was trying to remember the military phonetic alphabet, since I use the police one at work instead. I still don't think I know it all...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.