The Worst Police vehicles thread.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Firefly Berlin said:
Honestly guys, but almost any cruiser shown here is a better one than the crap our officers got for testing this year.

I present to you: the Toyota "i miev" :weird: :eek: :jawdrop: :puke:

That's a Mitsubishi iMiev, also known as a Citroen CZero among other things. Only reason why my local Police don't run them is after the Prius, and propane fueled patrol cars, they've banned ALL alternative fuel vehicles due to operational safety concerns.

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn.novafm.com.au/sites/defa...to/Australia-s-Hottest-Police-Cars-119664.jpg

Thankfully it was a promo car.

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn.novafm.com.au/sites/defa...to/Australia-s-Hottest-Police-Cars-119669.jpg

So was that I belive.

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn.novafm.com.au/sites/defa...to/Australia-s-Hottest-Police-Cars-119670.jpg

These are used as active patrol cars.

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn.novafm.com.au/sites/defa...to/Australia-s-Hottest-Police-Cars-119672.jpg

As are these.

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn.novafm.com.au/sites/defa...to/Australia-s-Hottest-Police-Cars-119673.jpg

More promo cars.

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn.novafm.com.au/sites/defa...to/Australia-s-Hottest-Police-Cars-119674.jpg

Last one.

From what I've heard some of the local officers consider the new armoured BMW X5s to be pretty bad, don't know compared to what though? Only other armoured vehicles they've had were Holden Commodores in the early 1990s, which are STILL used as training cars today. Oh and a couple of armoured Land Cruiser 200 series.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
brianmcfa said:
A speaker under the roof might be a problem. You'd have to roll down the windows so they could hear it better outside the car. :razz: But seriously, a non-working siren even for looks would cause too much wind drag. If I remember right even a spotlight drags a car down 3-4 mph I'd bet that speaker grabs 10.

:haha: I didn't even realize that when I typed it.

10 mph maybe off the top speed - that I don't care about too much. The MPG impact would probably be much worse.

But damn, does it look good.

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
Well if you figure that most of that doesn't effect the MPG until you hit 40 MPH, it'd matter more on a county or state car than it would one that's in town. I barely go over 25 most of the time. When I have to, it's usually to back up one of the neighboring towns 10-20 miles away and that's when the top speed matters. Plus, I'm an instructor for emergency vehicle operations so performance matters more to me.

SSgt Elmer said:
:haha: I didn't even realize that when I typed it.

10 mph maybe off the top speed - that I don't care about too much. The MPG impact would probably be much worse.

But damn, does it look good.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
brianmcfa said:
A Visibar? Although it doesn't actually look that bad.
I LOVE THIS! I would so do this to my unit if my department let me!
But if I had a choice, My patrol car would be a Dodge Challenger with a Mars Bar! yeah! :woot: Hey a girl can dream!

IMAG0694.jpg

challenger mars.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
So close!

JennyCop said:
I LOVE THIS! I would so do this to my unit if my department let me!
But if I had a choice, My patrol car would be a Dodge Challenger with a Mars Bar! yeah! :woot: Hey a girl can dream!
challenger%20mars.jpg

alabama_Javelin-1.jpg

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I sure hope you people are not confusing Dodge Challengers with AMC Javelins. That would be a shame.

1971 AMC Javelin AMX

javcop02.jpg

1971 Dodge Challenger

1971_dodge_challenger-pic-61246.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
What's up with that one? Sparse graphics? No amber lights in back?

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
lafd55 said:
What the F!?!? That's a total waist of money... Crossing guards don't need more then a handheld stop sign and a traffic vest, lol, not an actual vehicle.

I could see it used for a supervisor to check in on his/her crews, especially in a county where they may have 1/3 of the district to keep watch. If the lights are recycled, that's a bonus.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Skippy said:
I could see it used for a supervisor to check in on his/her crews, especially in a county where they may have 1/3 of the district to keep watch. If the lights are recycled, that's a bonus.

We like most cities & counties use vehicles & equipment till their DEAD.. CoP vehicles are recycled patrol units, crossing guard vehicles are recycled FSO/CSO vehicles. The vehicle pictured is a 2 yr old vehicle has A/C & a 4cyl.

Most depts are looking at going green or saving fuel since the future fuel prices are uncertain. I know in some countries a Liter of gas is $10.00 USD. :eek:

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Ok this has to be one of the worst police light set ups... Unique but really odd in my book... You be the judge.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
They took the hated "pinwheel" pattern and made it... well, a pinwheel.

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
China has perfected the invisible police car. Yet, they are still trying to figure out how to make the cockpit invisible too:

police chinese.jpg

Schematics released by the state department show the Chinese "borrowed" our technology as early as the 1970's; as shown in this picture:

wonder.jpg

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
CodeMan said:
Ok this has to be one of the worst police light set ups... Unique but really odd in my book... You be the judge.

Are these lights actually used during response; or is this a PR "show pony" get up?

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Here´s the same car decked out with some more tastefull chosen emergency lights..... :bonk:

Allthough not very visible during daylight, the technology is getting to the point where, with the right design, it´s getting very interesting as decals or alternative to reflective surfaces. Undercover patrol vehicle -> push a button -> higly visible marked unit:)

There was one guy on here that used a EL-sign in the window, to mark his POV (Hummer - Don´t want to post picture here, since that vehicle doesn´t belong in this thread).

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
I think it's great. I really like the unmarked side where you can't tell they're there until they're turned on. Having the entire side of a car act as an arrowstick would be helpful at times too.

CodeMan said:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
The car an the graphics are great, until you look at the lightbar.... Memphis Police Department.

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_memphis140_zps51d30b20.jpg

Our local Sheriff's Office fleet uses impalas and has also a couple suburbans. The only lighting on the cars is a strobe and halogen Edge.... And that's it... Saratoga CSO.

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_7696018952_a505c28c08_z_zps626d0960.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Both of those IMO belong here. The AdvantEdge is just plain awesome, and while the Saratoga SO car could use takedowns and corner strobes, they're not necessary and it's got an excellent warning package just with that Edge bar.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I don't buy it. That's just beginner-grade photoshopping. Sure, it might be real, but shopping is incredibly easy.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Gated Wye said:

Nerdly dood is correct, if you look closely the gold strip in front of police is brighter almost yellowish compared to the back flater gold strip. Funny just the same and I could see my city doing something like this too, however wouldn't make it off the dealer lot. Silly people TRIX is for kids, lol.

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
car54 said:
Nerdly dood is correct, if you look closely the gold strip in front of police is brighter almost yellowish compared to the back flater gold strip. Funny just the same and I could see my city doing something like this too, however wouldn't make it off the dealer lot. Silly people TRIX is for kids, lol.

One other thing to consider is they may have repaired a wrecked car with a fender and front door from another wrecked car! just my .02

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
Part of my problem is the car, part is the graphics. Colorado's graphics at the time didn't really appear to be readily identifiable as a police vehicle. When you couple that with a "non-standard" police vehicle I believe that it potentially causes problems. If they want to use an alternative vehicle for a police car, I have no problem with that. It just needs to be readily identified as such. That being said, agencies using Crown Vics had an advantage because people look at them and think "police car" even without anything on them. With all the different types of vehicles that are coming into use now, I think Ed Sanow's article in Law and Order a while back about marked police car guidelines should be formally adopted.

mfpd465 said:
whats wrong with this one? i think its sharp an a unique idea for catchin street racers, from what ive heard about it the car gets alot of respect

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
brianmcfa said:
I think Ed Sanow's article in Law and Order a while back about marked police car guidelines should be formally adopted.

Link please?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdi419

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.