THROUGH 5% TINT: Feniex T-6 vs Star/SVP DLX4 - you decide...

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
OK so I guess I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some Feniex T6's... well I haven't seen ANY videos showing specific lights through DARK tint (which I'm surprised about)... Obviously the tint cuts down on the light output... but for comparing lights of the same type, isn't this a great way to visibly compare light output? This is 2 layers of Llumar 20% tint so theoretically it should meter around 5% (and no I haven't metered it but its extremely dark)... so by definition only about 5% of visible light should be transmitted through the film... watch the video and see if you think its a good comparison or not...

Both lightheads are mounted on their factory L brackets on the headliner against the back glass (equal distance from the glass)... the lights may be slightly angled differently but I moved the video around a lot so you can see that its not particularly brighter from any other direction. I apologize for the video quality... It just started drizzling when I took it and it was taken with an iPhone 4S in HD.

So... my conclusion is that these T6's definitely won't be going in my back glass.... and I wish the DLX6's were much cheaper so I could put a bunch of them in the back glass... so, what light sticks are equal or brighter than the DLX4 / DLX6 modules???? would like to stick a 6-8 module strip back there without going broke! (The DLX4 is plenty bright, I just would go broke buying another 6 of them and obviously it would be much cleaner in a bar vs individual heads)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
minig0d said:
OK so I guess I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some Feniex T6's... well I haven't seen ANY videos showing specific lights through DARK tint (which I'm surprised about)... Obviously the tint cuts down on the light output... but for comparing lights of the same type, isn't this a great way to visibly compare light output? This is 2 layers of Llumar 20% tint so theoretically it should meter around 5% (and no I haven't metered it but its extremely dark)... so by definition only about 5% of visible light should be transmitted through the film... watch the video and see if you think its a good comparison or not...

Both lightheads are mounted on their factory L brackets on the headliner against the back glass (equal distance from the glass)... the lights may be slightly angled differently but I moved the video around a lot so you can see that its not particularly brighter from any other direction. I apologize for the video quality... It just started drizzling when I took it and it was taken with an iPhone 4S in HD.

So... my conclusion is that these T6's definitely won't be going in my back glass.... and I wish the DLX6's were much cheaper so I could put a bunch of them in the back glass... so, what light sticks are equal or brighter than the DLX4 / DLX6 modules???? would like to stick a 6-8 module strip back there without going broke! (The DLX4 is plenty bright, I just would go broke buying another 6 of them and obviously it would be much cleaner in a bar vs individual heads)

Nice comparison. Now if only we could get a similar video, but not from 5 feet away. If I am pulling up behind your vehicle, or coming around a curve, I am not standing right behind it at or above the level.

Take a video from 25', 50' , etc...

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Zapp Brannigan said:
Nice comparison. Now if only we could get a similar video, but not from 5 feet away. If I am pulling up behind your vehicle, or coming around a curve, I am not standing right behind it at or above the level.

Take a video from 25', 50' , etc...

haha yeah... lets just say the rear window lights alone probably can't be seen from more than 100 or so feet away in the daytime... primary warning right now is mostly from the TLF which is actually fairly bright since they are factory LED tail lights... R/B is more to signify police vehicle once I have their attention caught... but no I'm definitely working on more lights in the rear... at night they are plenty bright... sun is almost down so in about 30 minutes I'll take a night comparison shot if it helps... I mainly just shot it up close so I didn't have to bother hiding my license plate but I can block it out for a longer shot

now I just have to figure out what light is equally or brighter per module that comes in bar form... that's my only chance of lighting up this back window :)

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
OK... i shot you a couple really quick videos...

This first one shows the lights compared like in the initial video... and I also tried to step back as far away as possible... I'm parked in front of the building so you got some free off axis in there... at the furthest back point I was about 75 feet from the vehicle and about 15 feet off centered (if you put yourself in position of the car go 75 feet straight back and 15 feet left)...

(and yes I left the fleur de lis uncovered so I can show my Saints support in the videos ;) )

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
To be perfectly honest, I don't see the big difference. The blue of the T6 seems very on par with the DLX4 in the most recent videos, at least to me.

I do have some constructive criticism:

1) Comparison videos need to be as factual and "fair" as possible. I got the impression that the T6 was not mounted exactly the same as the DLX4, it seems to be pointing down a bit. Could be my eyes are going, it's just good advice in general.

2) Adding other lights (additional lighting/other colors) is also not "fair" to the lights being compared. My eyes first told me the DLX4 was obviously brighter, and then I realized the red DLX4 was confusing me. When I blocked it out, the lights didn't seem that different.

3) Obviously, you need to stabilize the video as much as possible. It's damn near impossible to gauge effective lights from a bouncy screen. Slow it down when moving, and steady your hand so that we can see what's going on.

4) I personally feel that during a comparison video, you should only film from directly head on. Reason being is that usually one light will be closer to the camera, and that will make one appear "brighter" than the other. I realize that you're filming a car, and the lights will have to be side to side...but bear in mind, it does prejudice the camera.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
EMT-BLS said:
To be perfectly honest, I don't see the big difference. The blue of the T6 seems very on par with the DLX4 in the most recent videos, at least to me.

I do have some constructive criticism:

1) Comparison videos need to be as factual and "fair" as possible. I got the impression that the T6 was not mounted exactly the same as the DLX4, it seems to be pointing down a bit. Could be my eyes are going, it's just good advice in general.

2) Adding other lights (additional lighting/other colors) is also not "fair" to the lights being compared. My eyes first told me the DLX4 was obviously brighter, and then I realized the red DLX4 was confusing me. When I blocked it out, the lights didn't seem that different.

3) Obviously, you need to stabilize the video as much as possible. It's damn near impossible to gauge effective lights from a bouncy screen. Slow it down when moving, and steady your hand so that we can see what's going on.

4) I personally feel that during a comparison video, you should only film from directly head on. Reason being is that usually one light will be closer to the camera, and that will make one appear "brighter" than the other. I realize that you're filming a car, and the lights will have to be side to side...but bear in mind, it does prejudice the camera.

Which is exactly why I moved the camera around. So you can see that at NO angle was the T-6 brighter. They are placed an even distance from the glass. The main indication you can see in the video is the spread of the light. Note how the dlx makes an almost solid blob of light. Whereas the T-6 you can easily differentiate the individual diodes. This wasn't meant to be a thorough review by any means. I got the light. Threw it in the back window expecting to be impressed. And was disappointed. So I checked voltage with a DMM. It's fine. Checked that they were still mounted equidistant from the glass. No problems. Only thing left is the light.

Again. I'm not saying the t-6 isn't a bright light. I was making 2 points.

1) from all the chatter on here people were saying its whelen ion/ghost bright. I haven't seen an ion or ghost but from videos these don't seem nearly that bright. For the price point they are great. If you're looking for something super bright to penetrate tint or go the absolute furthest distance I don't think these are in the same ballpark as some of the bigger brands. But they definitely have their place in the market.

2) I believe for video purposes, shooting from behind dark tint is an effective way to compare light output from 2 different heads simultaneously. Especially so if the heads will be used behind even factory tinted glass. This assumes that the lens optics are of similar styles. Comparing a tir optic with a linear one when the intended mounting point is external on the vehicle may not yield a fair assessment. By attenuating the light significantly, you are able to easily visually see the difference in output without being blinded by the immediate intensity of a flash (which could skew judgement). But for light sticks/ilb's /deck lights I think it should almost be the defacto comparison method for videos. The only other video method coming close to being able to show output is two lights onto a garage door/wall.

Again it was a crappy video with handheld iPhone. If I was doing a true review I would have setup the shot much nicer than that. And using youtubes stabilization feature reduces flashes of the LEDs. (I've tried it)

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Jarred J. said:
good modules
punches through tent

6 - 8 heads

wont break the bank

MicroMan Industries

After the Feniex experiment, I think I'll be sticker to the major offerings for this purpose... as you can in the video, the Feniex CAN punch through the tint... I just doesn't do so as much as the Star/SVP does... Unfortunately I don't have much free time right now... I was going to throw my Whelen DashKing 2000 in the rear window just so you can see some Gen1 LEDs for comparison, but lets just say unless you are specifically looking at that particular spot in the glass, you won't even notice any light coming from a Gen 1 LED through this tint... that's why I'm focused on the brightest of bright lights...

Another thing that I noticed when going through tint, it may be my imagination but it seems like the "footprint" of the light becomes more important... I did put a Dual Avenger back there just to try it, and you don't get blinded by its intensity, the footprint of the illuminated larger lighthead is much more noticeable than the smaller one. My point being that while people find the Feniex T-6 bright, it may be in more of a burst/pop of light that catches your attention. So even though the light is super bright, for tint purposes, possibly even a not as bright light, with a much bigger footprint may be more visible... Here's an example of my thoughts... When I first got my ULB42 I threw it on the back deck just to see how horrible it was with the tint... again the ULB42 is Star/SVP's gen 1 LED, not the ULB44 which uses the starburst gen3/4 LED (sorry no comparison with the Feniex as it's mounted in the front now but notice how the gen 1 LEDs aren't that bright, but the larger footprint b/c so many of them makes them actually noticeable through the tint: (sorry in advance about the spoiler being in the way, again this was just a test!)(view video in HD and not just the little embedded one to get a better idea)

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
I'm never going to critique somebody who is trying to make comparison videos. I think we need more of them even though I can see how the videos could be altered (angle, colors, etc.) Thanks for making the videos...interesting thread.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Flashguy said:
I'm never going to critique somebody who is trying to make comparison videos. I think we need more of them even though I can see how the videos could be altered (angle, colors, etc.) Thanks for making the videos...interesting thread.

Thanks for the support! I agree! There are a lot of factors that need to be considered in a true comparison... I haven't seen any video that shows the opposite, nor am I a vendor of any product... nor have I seen any other videos showing lights through dark tint (and identifying the light etc [there are obviously videos on youtube of unmarked cars with limo tint but none geared towards comparison or purchasing of specific lights etc])... I intentionally moved the camera to every angle to show that the light was not brighter at a different angle (meaning the heads were aimed differently)... the red may be brighter than the blue and red does show differently through tint... but for this application, I need red and blue so there was no sense in me opening up a second brand new light... might as well leave it intact so if/when I return them the vendor can still resell it as new...

Its pouring raining but I may throw this in the grill and see how it performs there before returning all 4 of them...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This is not meant to be a negative toward you or your comparison, but......

Due to the darkness of the tint, and the small amount of light getting through, I can't help but think that your money might be better spent on a really good throw light for the roof (L31 maybe) and the back flash brake/reverse system that you already have.

I can't help but think that it would be more effective.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
dmathieu said:
This is not meant to be a negative toward you or your comparison, but......
Due to the darkness of the tint, and the small amount of light getting through, I can't help but think that your money might be better spent on a really good throw light for the roof (L31 maybe) and the back flash brake/reverse system that you already have.

I can't help but think that it would be more effective.

For my usage, I don't think the throw light is really practical. I see throw lights as practical for a first responder responding to a call, not so much for a law enforcement vehicle. The TLF I think gives a fair amount of warning and the window lights are moreso just to signify law enforcement. I just wanted to put a little bit more in the back than whats there. (I was thinking that the T-6 would be equally bright to a DLX4 and that I would have 2 T-6's on each side of the car and I'd be done)... Unfortunately they aren't nearly as bright. Another pair of DLX4's may be an option but I'm hoping a bar with similar optics/leds may be a better answer. I don't need to light the car up like a x-mas tree or anything :)

I think the short answer is that this is most likely going to be temporary and eventually I will probably purchase a charger and not have nearly as dark of tint on it. Which is why I'm sticking to universal type lights that I could easily carry over to a new vehicle.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
The DLX series is just amazingly bright, head on. They have quite the punch, better than ghost/ion straight on, IMO. Once you get a bit off-axis, however, ION/Ghost win in intensity. The DLX do have a diffuser lens available that helps spread the light out, too.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
bluestinger90 said:
I would recommend microman bars for tinted windows; 20" MicroStarBar XP | MicroMan Industries

It's just one gigantic hot spot with little to no off axis, which makes it great for punching through tint.

Well that makes #2 to suggest them. Unfortunately the feniex come highly recommended also so without a comparison video or proof otherwise. In going to stay away. (Their website is horrible too)

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
minig0d said:
Well that makes #2 to suggest them. Unfortunately the feniex come highly recommended also so without a comparison video or proof otherwise. In going to stay away. (Their website is horrible too)
Ummmm...I think the owner of Microman Industries sinks his money into R&D for his products rather than spends lavish amounts of money on an exciting webpage. His website fits his needs as well as the customers that use the site. I rather him spend his money like he does to keep improving and providing great American made products than have a flashy website anyway. Horrible is a matter of opinion and you are the first one to ever say it is horrible from what I can remember. You are entitled to your opinion just as everyone else and I am not trying to bust your balls so please don't take it that way. Just think about what you say and do some research on things before forming an opinion about things. I have used or seen in use every brand of emergency light on the market. Every company and product has its pros and cons. You can ask anyone on this board that has ever used a Microman product that the Microman bars are very well made and bright as hell. While they don't have off axis application due to the way they are built, the straight on punch they have can't be beat, period. I replaced a SOS interior Pinnacle with two 8" Microman XP bars. They are behind 20% tint and are still brighter than my Pinnacle ever was when it was up against clear glass. The owner of Microman Industries doesn't get on here and PUSH, PUSH, PUSH his products like dealers of other companies do. His sales are generated by word of mouth and product experience. I was a little shy of them at first too because they weren't "name brand", but now that I have used some of his products, I will be buying more of them. They are very well worth the money. I would encourage you to take a closer look at Microman products. You will be pleasantly surprised.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Trust me I'm not bashing him at all. And he may make great lights. I'm just saying I was extremely disappointed with the feniex so I wanted to stick with a more proven solution as I don't really have much money to experiment. And sorry but I visited his site and couldn't figure out anything from it. I'm not saying he needs a flashy web designer to dance and sparkle but just the basics about the product in a straight forward manner. And with that said. If its all word of mouth I definitely invite some videos to show how they deliver versus other products on the market. I haven't seen many. So like I said originally. It may be a great light. But I am trying for something proven not hoping to give a product a chance in hopes that it is. If that makes sense. And if he wants to trade some web design and marketing advice for light bars I'm more than happy to ;)

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
minig0d said:
Trust me I'm not bashing him at all. And he may make great lights. I'm just saying I was extremely disappointed with the feniex so I wanted to stick with a more proven solution as I don't really have much money to experiment. And sorry but I visited his site and couldn't figure out anything from it. I'm not saying he needs a flashy web designer to dance and sparkle but just the basics about the product in a straight forward manner. And with that said. If its all word of mouth I definitely invite some videos to show how they deliver versus other products on the market. I haven't seen many. So like I said originally. It may be a great light. But I am trying for something proven not hoping to give a product a chance in hopes that it is. If that makes sense. And if he wants to trade some web design and marketing advice for light bars I'm more than happy to ;)
Here is one of his videos. It is a tint/no tint and distance video.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
hitman38367 said:
Here is one of his videos. It is a tint/no tint and distance video.

I mean it seems great from the video... unfortunately the video was taken at night and there are no other lights compared as a frame of reference... I mean even the cheapest made in China lights can likely be seen at a distance at night in perfect conditions... I'm not saying that this is skewed in any way... just that there is no frame of reference... and the video I took was during daylight hours... Any videos comparing it to ANY other common lights during daylight hours behind tint?

On the flip side of the argument I just threw that light on the grill while its bright daylight outside and found it was more than adequate for a grill light... I shot a video really quick with it sitting on the grill but the video doesn't reflect the brightness so it wasn't even worth posting... but I will give the T-6 that it is fine for a grill light... I don't have a loose DLX4 to compare it to in the sunlight but for half the price of a DLX6 I'm sure its good enough for that purpose... behind the tint I still say no though :)

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
My Microman bars are behind 20% tint so I will shoot a quick video tomorrow in direct sunlight and post it so you can see the effects of tint AND direct sunlight so you can get an idea.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
hitman38367 said:
My Microman bars are behind 20% tint so I will shoot a quick video tomorrow in direct sunlight and post it so you can see the effects of tint AND direct sunlight so you can get an idea.

Thank you that would be appreciated! also if you have ANY other kind of lights to throw in the window for comparison it would be appreciated too (a portable dash light or anything)

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
minig0d said:
Thank you that would be appreciated! also if you have ANY other kind of lights to throw in the window for comparison it would be appreciated too (a portable dash light or anything)

I have some Sound Off Predator IIs in the grille and I will be far enough back so that you can see the difference with those.

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
minig0d said:

I recommend you check your input voltage. Many people don't know this but the T6 outputs 15% less light when the car is off. Second, very strange result. The math does not add up. We use higher power LEDs then our/that competitor.

-Gary

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Feniex said:
I recommend you check your input voltage. Many people don't know this but the T6 outputs 15% less light when the car is off. Second, very strange result. The math does not add up. We use higher power LEDs then our/that competitor.

-Gary

4t2icw.jpg

I'm not an engineer... perhaps it has something to do with the "fluted" (I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology) lens vs. the DLX4's clear one with the deeper reflectors? No clue... I've heard various explanations such as LEDs being under-driven for heat purposes, or wasted voltage being converted to heat instead of light (I don't know the engineering terminology)... again this is just conjecture I'm not an engineer...

However I have installed dozens of car stereo systems, and have an above average understanding of vehicle wiring... I invite you to replicate the experiment in your own facility if you wish to prove otherwise... you obviously have way more resources than I do to purchase other brands of lights for comparison purposes... I obviously have no incentive for the results to go this way... the Feniex lights are half the price... if they would have worked out I would have saved 50% from going the alternative route... and actually moreso than that since I will now have to pay to ship these back to the seller...

Another slightly disappointing thing (since you happen to be here) is that when the L brackets are purchased, no shorter screws are provided... so you have to use the screws included with the lights, which leave a sharp edge sticking out a good 1/2". I was able to grab some small PC screws (but they are silver)... but 1 cent worth of screws would improve safety and looks of the product and should be included with the purchase of L brackets (and probably other brackets as well)... again minor qualm but could be easily remedied if you like suggestions :)

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
:popcorn:

I sell both brands and I've seen this same result with the T4's. I didn't feel it was a fair comparison though because the T4 had a darker blue colored LED compared to the DLX4.

The T6 seems to have a wider spacing between each LED compared to the DLX4. I present the following theory: Because the LED's are closer together on a DLX4, more light is able to transmit thru the tint. The Star DLX6 seems a lot brighter compared to a DLX4 in dark tint. Think of a set of Christmas lights strung out on a tree. It's not that bright, right? But take the same strand of Christmas lights and put each bulb as close as you can to one another, and they'll become a nice flood light.

I could be completely wrong, but it seems to hold true in my installations. I like both products equally and I would consider lightly tinting a pair of T6's using spray tint and putting them on a license plate bracket from Feniex. I think you would like them a lot more!

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
ClintonPSE said:
:popcorn:
I sell both brands and I've seen this same result with the T4's. I didn't feel it was a fair comparison though because the T4 had a darker blue colored LED compared to the DLX4.

The T6 seems to have a wider spacing between each LED compared to the DLX4. I present the following theory: Because the LED's are closer together on a DLX4, more light is able to transmit thru the tint. The Star DLX6 seems a lot brighter compared to a DLX4 in dark tint. Think of a set of Christmas lights strung out on a tree. It's not that bright, right? But take the same strand of Christmas lights and put each bulb as close as you can to one another, and they'll become a nice flood light.

I could be completely wrong, but it seems to hold true in my installations. I like both products equally and I would consider lightly tinting a pair of T6's using spray tint and putting them on a license plate bracket from Feniex. I think you would like them a lot more!

Actually that sounds pretty plausible of an explanation to me too... I think the fluted lenses also kill the light somewhat too... since they deflect the light slightly into other directions, they become less directional like the DLX4's are... but the Christmas tree explanation like how far apart the LED's are make sense too...

AND I like your suggestion about spray tinting the lenses on a LP bracket... I actually have tossed around the LP bracket idea a few times... I only haven't since all the rear trim of the car is chrome and the T-6's are black... a couple Tomar Rect-13/14 would be a lot more discreet I think than 2 black "sticks"... damned if I do damned if I don't.... I'll still consider it though! Thanks for your input! (not sarcasm being dead serious)

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
nightwolf said:
I really have been unable to get an idea of the brightness of the dlx6's i have mounted on my front headliner. This thread is reassuring though.

Haha. Well if you want to trade for some T-6's to compare to... lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Jarred J. said:
these are his 2nd generation take downs i did a review on....

http://elightbars.org/forums/f33/microman-new-g3-takedown-version-22836/

heres my review of the "2nd generation" set of his warning lights.

he is now on a 3rd brighter with no heat sink version of these lights...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f33/microman-g3-vs-g1-amber-only-picture-heavy-17924/

There's not much frame of reference in the video but you do have a lot of good shots there. They seem like they may be somewhat brighter than the T-6 but they are definitely much larger (whichever model that one with the money shot was).

I wish some of these manufacturers would do some official comparison videos. I mean they have the resources to do them. And if their product is superior they should want to showcase it. I mean some true real world and lab testing. No subjective stuff. Use light meters to measure intensity straight on, at various angles, through tint various tint, through sun strips, measuring the distances in which the lights are visible (since states mandate your emergency vehicle must emit light visible at X number of feet), light spread at specified intervals,etc.

The method they advertise now is utterly useless in the real world. One manufacturer has 3 watt LEDs another has 3.5 watt and those numbers mean nothing when it comes to performance. Then take surveys from customers about longevity and satisfaction. I wish I had the time to do all those measurements. I could be like the consumer reports of the emergency vehicle realm. ;)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
as stated the version i tested was the "2nd generation" of his lights. he is now on gen 3 and there are no heat sinks on the new ones they are 4inches long as thats how they are sold. in 4 inch increments. all you need is a flasher. i have a set of the newer one but havent done a comparison yet.

due to photobucket being blocked at work i can no longer see my own pics in these posts.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Jarred J. said:
as stated the version i tested was the "2nd generation" of his lights. he is now on gen 3 and there are no heat sinks on the new ones they are 4inches long as thats how they are sold. in 4 inch increments. all you need is a flasher. i have a set of the newer one but havent done a comparison yet.

Yeah I understand that. I meant there is no frame of reference to other lights which we are able to compare the strength to. Example of this would be putting it side by side with a whelen ion or some other common light, putting them both on a similar flash pattern and then shooting a video. Since most of us have no clue how bright his gen 1 2 or 3 lights are, we can only tell that 2 is brighter than 1, not how they compare to larger name offerings.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Jarred J. said:
due to photobucket being blocked at work i can no longer see my own pics in these posts.

It looks like the video at the end of the first link is gone too (or it won't open on my phone). And if you want to know your tint percentage and you're bored one day, most inspection sticker places have tint meters and some state troopers carry them too (depending on state). (But a lot of the time state troopers carry a cheaper version that just clips over the edge of a rolled down window, the more expensive ones are two parts so they can place one on the inside and one on the outside of any window (like back glass) that the clip on ones can't).

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i know what my tint percentage is. its 20% the windows were 100% before i took them to the tint guy :D

I did have comparison shots next to some tir 3's.... must be gone. but these 2nd gen lights beat a set of tir 3's by itself... maybe ill borrow my GF's phone andtry to do another comaprison. i have a 16 inch amber section running on 1 flasher and 2 4 inch on another.

i also thought i had a comparison next to the viper in my car before it developed sudden viper death syndrome they are known for.

i have a feneix dual head light up front so i cant compare the fronts and back together without teraing the car in half. :eek:

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Jarred J. said:
i know what my tint percentage is. its 20% the windows were 100% before i took them to the tint guy :D

I did have comparison shots next to some tir 3's.... must be gone. but these 2nd gen lights beat a set of tir 3's by itself... maybe ill borrow my GF's phone andtry to do another comaprison. i have a 16 inch amber section running on 1 flasher and 2 4 inch on another.

i also thought i had a comparison next to the viper in my car before it developed sudden viper death syndrome they are known for.

i have a feneix dual head light up front so i cant compare the fronts and back together without teraing the car in half. :eek:

haha please don't cut your car in half for comparison purposes... cheaper just to buy a set of lights lmao... and sorry I wasn't paying attention to the date, I just saw in the review where it said you weren't sure of the tint% b/c the car was an ex police car that was given to y'all (I think that was your review but I may have mixed you up with someone else)... oh and yeah I did see the Viper S2... from what I could see it look like the viper was slaughtering the MicroMan severely. (Which just tells me I should be putting two Viper's in my back window) lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
my car is NOT a former cop car...

god help the department that uses kias

remember... viper = linear"ish" optics in a big block thats BIGGER than the microman light...

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Jarred J. said:
my car is NOT a former cop car...
god help the department that uses kias

remember... viper = linear"ish" optics in a big block thats BIGGER than the microman light...

Sorry, I was looking at your link using Tapatalk and it mangled the pictures up... It was the guy who responded to your review that had said that (amccullers)... apologies...

And yes I know its a different light... that's why I was saying it would be a better frame of reference if you were able to compare the brightness to something with a known brightness... (like the purpose of taking a picture with the dollar bill... we all know what size a dollar bill is, however without that frame of reference we can't tell the size. If the viper is a different optic and is a lot brighter, than it would be like putting a dollar bill on side of your Kia for us to judge the size of the Kia, we can see its much bigger but it doesn't accurately depict if the Kia is closer in size to a Ford Taurus or a Ford Crown Vic)... I understand that you don't happen to have other TIR style lights hanging around though...

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Here is the video I said I would make. I didn't realize that my son had fingerprinted the lens on my camera until after I had uploaded the video and saw how crappy/fuzzy it was. Either way, this will give you an idea about MicroMan products.

I will clean the lens and make another one so you can see it clearly.

EDIT: Ok, so I made 3 more videos after cleaning the lens and they turned out the same. It must be the heat mirage coming off the ground or car that the camera is picking up, so....the video posted is gonna have to do for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.