Too far on both sides.......

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Station 3 said:
That officer did an excelent job with that situation almost TEXT BOOK by the looks of it i have no issue with what the officer did in this video. The gentleman in the "cop wanna be charger" needs some more lighting at least to be visible 360 here in Texas that "POV" would not meet the standard and he would be told to just drive the speed limit if thats all he has. And as for the officer driving in the "100s" to catch up to the suspect well im sorry but thats the only way to catch the person THATS SPEEDING its a necesary evil. Also i want to add that im a volunteer fire fighter i have been for 5 years i have taken my Fire EVOC course for driving an aparatus to emergencys and i am also a Police officer have been for about 2 1/2 years now and i have to tell you that the 5 hour EVOC fire course is a damn joke compared to the 1 week long police pursuit course where we learned how to do everything in the book not to mention high speed chases in dirt roads and pavement.

Im sorry fire boys but you just dont have that training...

Assumption.

Station 3 said:
And as for the people asking what he did wrong?? well let me list them.

1. he was speeding "emergency vehicle or not you cant drive like a maniac because you have 1 nice shiny light from galls on your dash"

He wasn't speeding as per the law

speedingpresent participle of speed (Verb)
Verb:

1) Move quickly: "I got into the car and home we sped".

2) (of a motorist) Travel at a speed that is greater than the legal limit: "the car that crashed was speeding".

(2) The operator of an authorized emergency vehicle may:
(a) Stop, stand or park, irrespective of the provisions of this chapter;

( B) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

© Exceed the speed limit;

(d) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

Since you are so hooked on the "1 nice shiny light" I'll paste this for ya...

The exemption granted the operator of an authorized emergency vehicle by sub. (2) (a) applies only when the operator of the vehicle is giving visual signal by means of at least one flashing, oscillating or rotating red light except that the visual signal given by a police vehicle may be by means of a blue light and a red light which are flashing, oscillating or rotating, except as otherwise provided in sub.

Station 3 said:
2. he did not pull over for the police after an AwKWARD 7 min long pursuit which any person who was not so high up on themselfs would notice HEY somethings not right here.

He has no legal obligation to.

Station 3 said:
3 "maybe optional" i dont know the departments SOPs but i hope that his set up on his POV is not the standard if so they need to STOP all POV operations since that is not safe no 360 lighting is just a NO!

Right, because what they do in TX is how it should be everywhere, even if it has been like this in WI for 30 years...

You are a cop? I am an astronaut...

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
ISU_Cyclone said:
I think if I just ran on foot from you I'd be just fine ;)

You can run all you want out here there are just open fields and dirt roads so i can just stay in my patrol car and follow you until you just stop running or jogging or waddaling or what ever you do. Roll down the window ask you nicely a few times if you want to hop on the back seat with me offer you a water or something and if you refuse just pepper spray you "while i remain seated in my patrol tahoe" until you wonder aimlessly until you give up and accept the water i had offerd you earlier.

Station 3 said:
You can run all you want out here there are just open fields and dirt roads so i can just stay in my patrol car and follow you until you just stop running or jogging or waddaling or what ever you do. Roll down the window ask you nicely a few times if you want to hop on the back seat with me offer you a water or something and if you refuse just pepper spray you "while i remain seated in my patrol tahoe" until you wonder aimlessly until you give up and accept the water i had offerd you earlier.

Brings a new meaning to "moving violation"

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Station 3 said:
just put the wet stuff on the red stuff

At least the firefighter could drive. That cop could barely catch him until he gave up and pulled into the station.

I bet that cop had to cry himself to sleep that night. <sob, sniffle>But I'm EVOC certified, only I can drive fast<sob, sniffle>

tumblr_m8zskojmLm1rnyeudo1_500.jpg

come-at-me-bro-meme-anteater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
foxtrot5 said:
Hypothetical question for you, and I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk but you've provided an intelligent response to a controversial topic and I'd like further clarification. If an officer on scene of a "hot" job says over the air "Additional responding units can slow at your discretion" are you covered? Seems like that would be worded to be the responding offier's decision at that point. On my FD, if we're going to "cancel" the chief or assistant chief, we'll say "Chief, you can cancel at your discretion" but that's more of a respect thing for us as he's obviously the senior officer responding to the assignment.
Technically speaking, any emergency call can be slowed at any officers discretion. Just because a call gets dispatched lights and sirens does not mean that I am REQUIRED to respond as such, just that I can. There are a couple times a month that I am dispatched lights and sirens to a call that, based upon the details, I do not respond lights and sirens. For example, you get dispatched to a domestic violence (hot call), then you get information that its between mom and 7 year old daughter arguing over washing the dishes. I am not going to drive fast to that call.

That being said though, if their was a unit on scene that said he has fine and I could slow down, I would slow down. I have a wife and kid... I'm not a 21 year old kid fresh out of the academy anymore. I've taken unneccessary chances in my youth... I'm not that guy anymore.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
mjMIff said:
I didn't read what you wrote and don't really want to debate it, but as ISU stated, breaking "policy" doesn't affect the laws..

The law is pretty simple, he is driving an "authorized emergency vehicle" and is "responding to an emergency call". It does not say anything about policies that would negate those facts. You cannot say, because someone decided a call was, whatever their word is for a non-code-call, means anyone who turns on their lights is breaking the law because it isn't written as such in the laws and that is how laws work, it has to be written for it to be true.

Also, it sounds like, from the video you didn't watch, he believed he was responding to whatever their code word is for an emergency call (although I beg to suggest if someone calls 911, it is an emergency). From the article you must not had read, it mentioned other members also responded, again whatever their code word being, to the call.

But like I said, I don't want to debate this, nor read what you write so I guess that's that...
You are wrong. Policy dictates what is considered an emergency, the volunteer does not.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
mcpd2025 said:
You are wrong. Policy dictates what is considered an emergency, the volunteer does not.

Obiviouslly he didn't read my replie in post 69.

And he just shows member and does not say what he does.

That being said what is his qualifications on his statements?

And policy does dictate what an emergency is.

That is why we use the alphabet system. more so for EMS.

Alpha (A) no lights. Most vol.companys with rescue no longer answer these calls with the ambulance

Beta ( B) lights. with no excess speed.

Charlie © lights. step it up within reason.

Delta (D) lights and if you have red also siren step it up within reason.

Echo (E) all hands call

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
1. The officer had reasonable suspicion, and he did the right thing in following the vehicle.

2. Upon seeing the vehicle with red lights(which the LEO looked to be using blue) pulling into an EMS HQ, the LEO should have calmed himself a bit.

3. Upon seeing the vehicle had EMS plates, the LEO should have added everything up, and walked up and just questioned the man.

4. If he had walked up to the man, chances are he would have seen the man was wearing an EMS shirt. I believe I seen the breast emblem on his t-shirt.

Dean did a VERY good job at following laws, stopping and using signals, as well as not going excessively fast what so ever. The LEO, however, did not have his gun pointed at Dean's head. I think this could have been much uglier and the excessive force call is a bit much. Once the Dean identified himself as EMS, the LEO holstered his firearm and then did it by the book. The actual events for the night aren't bad at all, it's all this follow-up that is pathetic.

If one of them hadn't of said something, I'm betting that charges wouldn't be against Dean, and Dean wouldn't be suing. I think it's time to act their ages, and not their shoe size. We're all grown men and women, act like it. The LEO needs to accept he made a mistake and drop it. Dean needs to accept the LEO was doing his job and drop it.

Side note for mike: Many firefighters are trained to drive bigger apparatus than squad cars at accelerated speeds, how? EVOC class. Police aren't the only ones who have EVOC class. Put your bias aside, or just wake up and realize Dean isn't anywhere near in the wrong, but nor is the cop.

Another side note: I find it odd that some places don't drive Code when responding to "investigate the smell of gas" or anything else of the like. Someone could misidentify and it could quickly become a HAZMAT situation, so I would like to respond to the scene as fast as possible with lights and sirens going on an engine and rescue. Yes, a lot of them turn out to be nothing, but it's the major ifs you have to worry about. Just my opinion, know it doesn't matter much, but just my $.02

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
mcpd2025 said:
Technically speaking, any emergency call can be slowed at any officers discretion. Just because a call gets dispatched lights and sirens does not mean that I am REQUIRED to respond as such, just that I can. There are a couple times a month that I am dispatched lights and sirens to a call that, based upon the details, I do not respond lights and sirens. For example, you get dispatched to a domestic violence (hot call), then you get information that its between mom and 7 year old daughter arguing over washing the dishes. I am not going to drive fast to that call.

That being said though, if their was a unit on scene that said he has fine and I could slow down, I would slow down. I have a wife and kid... I'm not a 21 year old kid fresh out of the academy anymore. I've taken unneccessary chances in my youth... I'm not that guy anymore.

Sounds reasonable enough, thanks!

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
mjMIff said:
Watch the video.

Why? I don't care to meddle into the FF versus cop debate. Its not my battle to fight. I was just clearing up a misconception that a volunteer firefighter has the legal authority to decide what calls are considered an emergency and therefore qualify for lights and siren. I know that isn't true, and as long as you don't drive in Maryland, I really don't care if you know the truth or not. Someone, and I don't remember whom, incorrectly implied that any responding unit can make the decision at any point in time whether or not lights and sirens are authorized. The video won't prove otherwise.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
mcpd2025 said:
Why? I don't care to meddle into the FF versus cop debate. Its not my battle to fight. I was just clearing up a misconception that a volunteer firefighter has the legal authority to decide what calls are considered an emergency and therefore qualify for lights and siren. I know that isn't true, and as long as you don't drive in Maryland, I really don't care if you know the truth or not. Someone, and I don't remember whom, incorrectly implied that any responding unit can make the decision at any point in time whether or not lights and sirens are authorized. The video won't prove otherwise.

:Banghead:

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
mcpd2025 said:

Doesn't really seem to be much of a debate, Like I stated in the Original post Lets keep that out of it and use it to learn so no one hopefully ends up in a similar situation. Hence the title too far on Both sides.........

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
mcpd2025 said:

Well, being in Michigan, I actually decide when to use or not use my lights and sirens. There is no policy except that you obviously do not use them when you return. Sooo, I am not sure what exactly you are clearing up, because in my position, I do have the authority and you can't take that away from me because "you say it's true".

Now I realize this department has a policy and I think that is fine for them as many places do it differently. But in the video you refuse to watch, he says he was responding to a Delta call. The article mentions 6 others did as well. Someone mentioned it might had been a fridge on fire. I think the idea that it was an alpha call or whatever might not be true. Nevertheless, policy doesn't make something legal or not. He was authorized by his department to have lights on his car, he was responding to an emergency. Seems pretty simple to me...

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Me thinks that mjMIff sounds alot like BYS only problem is BYS didn't like confrontation.

This guy keeps spewing it out and reads the parts he likes to fight over and leaves the rest out.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
mjMIff said:
Well, being in Michigan, I actually decide when to use or not use my lights and sirens. There is no policy except that you obviously do not use them when you return. Sooo, I am not sure what exactly you are clearing up, because in my position, I do have the authority and you can't take that away from me because "you say it's true".

Now I realize this department has a policy and I think that is fine for them as many places do it differently. But in the video you refuse to watch, he says he was responding to a Delta call. The article mentions 6 others did as well. Someone mentioned it might had been a fridge on fire. I think the idea that it was an alpha call or whatever might not be true. Nevertheless, policy doesn't make something legal or not. He was authorized by his department to have lights on his car, he was responding to an emergency. Seems pretty simple to me...

Wow!! I sure hope to god you don't represent the whole of MI.

Oh wait you probably one of those that vacated Detroit.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
chief1565 said:
Me thinks that mjMIff sounds alot like BYS only problem is BYS didn't like confrontation.

This guy keeps spewing it out and reads the parts he likes to fight over and leaves the rest out.

chief1565 said:

I don't even know what this is.. But thanks? Maybe?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Sure no problem enjoy. :-x

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
I'll bite. Yes I respond to calls in a marked fire dept vehicle. Yes I have sped to calls. Yes I have had officers behind me going to the same call. We run different radio freq's and this thing has never happened to anyone I know. We have over 21 fire districts 3 citys with a total uniform population of a little over 500. I saw no problem with the guy pulling his duty weapon. WHY you ask Watch the five oclock news and see all the incidents popping up all over about people posing as cops? Just last year I had the little experience of almost being ran off the road what I thought was an undercover officer, turns out was some 17 yr kid who bought the walmart lights and hooked them up to Mom and Dads Crown Vic. He pulled over the wrong person an off duty officer and got spanked hard. So those people are out there. After being in the business for a little over 23 yrs it's always something. I see no reason to be doing 90 mph for any call. For hot calls I may do 15-20 mph over the speed limit. Are highest speed limit in WA state is 70 mph. I have been told by others I am a little to cautious driving to calls. This because I have lost friends due to traffic accidents going to calls. I know of one my friends who hit some kid running out the roadway to see the fire truck driving by the house. Kid lived however it was close and now the kid is a half brainer and confined to a wheelchair. My friend was also sued and lost his wife house and job.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
mjMIff said:

Good luck with that. What town are you from? I look forward to reading an article about you in the near future...

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
bunnyfurr said:
I have been told by others I am a little to cautious driving to calls.
No such thing. The 2 minutes you shave off your response time is rarely worth the extra risk. The name of the game is arriving safe and in a REASONABLE amount of time. You are no good to anyone if you wreck on the the way... all you do is create yet another incident that requires resources.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
mcpd2025 said:
Good luck with that. What town are you from? I look forward to reading an article about you in the near future...

You look forward to me getting in an accident? That's kind of a strange thing to say.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
mcpd2025 said:

Man I do believe mjMIff has a bone for you.

He doesn't go after anybody else berating him.

I guess he thought waht I posted was a gratitude for him :haha:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
mjMIff said:
You look forward to me getting in an accident? That's kind of a strange thing to say.

Like i said before you read what you want and make comments out of what you want to slice out of it.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
All I know is, while in IN we can't have sirens, every time I respond when our tones drop, the first thing I do after starting the car and buckling up is flip the switch on my multi port. I have a 30 second drive to the dept., if even that, but I still hit my blue lights. Why? SAFETY. I have lived in my home town all but 4 and a half years of the 22 and a half years I've been alive. I haven't seen it all, and never will, but even before I got on my dept. I started seeing the dangers of moronic drivers. I live on state road 109, which is connected to old national road, US 40. We have endless semis, as well a tons of other traffic, due to farmers, and being a quick connect to I-69, I-70, and US 40. I have seen too many accidents to count, and have been in a couple when I was younger. My first true run on the fire dept was a serious 2 car accident which involved a drunk driver with 3 kids in his truck, and another car with a mother and her daughter, which resulted in 2 of the children being lifelined(helicopter) out. I don't trust people on the road.

All of this said, the blue lights I run aren't just to get to the dept. faster, it's too make sure I can get where I'm going efficiently and safely. I use my lights at my own discretion, meaning for all runs and they don't get shut down until I arrive at station, I have time while at scene for an extended period of time, or when I'm leaving the scene. I get to pick and choose when my lights run, and as far as I know, by law, a vollie can run his lights responding to every call he or she makes.

Dean(if I'm correct is the EMS driver), did what he could do as picturesque as any police officer, fire chief, or EMS chief would want a vollie to do. He stopped at stop signs, he used his turn signals, and he didn't speed, which if he did it looked to be 5 over the limit, which is what I and probably just about every one else drives at all times, not just when responding. He didn't swerve at all and drove in a manner that wouldn't endanger anyone. This is FACT.

He thought the police officer was going to the same incident, which happens in my town just about every run. Had I had been in his shoes, which I have by all means, I wouldn't have pulled over either. My tones drop, and I going to the dept or the scene and no one is going to stop me. Especially considering I know I'm only going 5 over the limit(which no cop in my area has any right to pull me over for doing that because when they're off duty they always are going about 15 over, and that's no joke), I'm obeying all laws, and I'm driving carefully. This is all FACT.

The police officer was looking for a car said to be impersonating a police officer, so he had reasonable suspicion to follow Dean. So he did his job and acted accordingly throughout the entire ordeal. FACT. But here's some pieces of info the officer should have considered. The car was said to be a challenger. Chances are the car impersonating would have had the correct light colors to be impersonating, because if people think things through, they will use the right scheme. He repeatedly got close enough to identify the plate as an EMS plate, though he still insisted he couldn't get the make. I'm sorry, but I can spy a RN, VollieFF, CareerFF, and Police plate almost a mile away, and I have no need for such information. You can't tell me that a police officer cannot identify a plate.

As I stated before, the actions of the night weren't bad at all, and while Dean did say the officer held the gun to his head and that was a bit far fetched, other than that, it went smoothly and I don't blame the officer for coming out with firearm drawn at all. The moment Dean identified himself as EMS, the officer holstered his firearm, and the event was done as the officer asked for ID. This event should have ended here and there but either the officer or Dean had to say something and it resulted in a lawsuit and charges attempted to be filed against Dean.

There are no sides to take in this event. Both of the men are in the wrong for continuing to run their mouth afterwards. Some of the attitudes of the guys replying to this topic is beyond unnecessary and your bias towards your own profession, whether it be fire, ems, or law, is appalling. Grow up a bit and/or get over yourselves.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
chief1565 said:
Man I do believe mjMIff has a bone for you.

He doesn't go after anybody else berating him.

I guess he thought waht I posted was a gratitude for him :haha:

Actually, I really enjoy a good friendly debate, no matter how long this goes for, no one has stooped to the level of insults or calling names, everyone here is *usually* (ha) very smart, you can't find that in a lot of places, especially on the intertubes.

I just counter what I foresee as invalid statements with my impression of what is right, if someone can disprove me, I'll be the first to say OK, if not then I will dig in my heels and go for the gusto. It is all in good fun, I don't take internet strangers that seriously. I don't even know who it is you mentioned.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
bunnyfurr said:
I'll bite. Yes I respond to calls in a marked fire dept vehicle. Yes I have sped to calls. Yes I have had officers behind me going to the same call. We run different radio freq's and this thing has never happened to anyone I know. We have over 21 fire districts 3 citys with a total uniform population of a little over 500. I saw no problem with the guy pulling his duty weapon. WHY you ask Watch the five oclock news and see all the incidents popping up all over about people posing as cops? Just last year I had the little experience of almost being ran off the road what I thought was an undercover officer, turns out was some 17 yr kid who bought the walmart lights and hooked them up to Mom and Dads Crown Vic. He pulled over the wrong person an off duty officer and got spanked hard. So those people are out there. After being in the business for a little over 23 yrs it's always something. I see no reason to be doing 90 mph for any call. For hot calls I may do 15-20 mph over the speed limit. Are highest speed limit in WA state is 70 mph. I have been told by others I am a little to cautious driving to calls. This because I have lost friends due to traffic accidents going to calls. I know of one my friends who hit some kid running out the roadway to see the fire truck driving by the house. Kid lived however it was close and now the kid is a half brainer and confined to a wheelchair. My friend was also sued and lost his wife house and job.

I never took the drive it like you stole it to heart, as a matter of fact I very rarely even use my lights unless it is for something dire. When I do I very rarely speed, if maybe 5 over, but even though I am usually paying attention to the cars around me, not how fast I am going.

If all people think about is speeding and getting somewhere faster then light, they are going to slam into that one person who doesn't pull over, but just stops. I have to imagine most of us have experienced that many times.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chief1565 said:

This member does NOT represent all of Michigan.

Testicles.

That is all.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
small

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
mjMIff said:
Where did I mention anything about an accident? I am referring to your poor knowledge about your states emergency vehicle guidelines and laws. With your lack of knowledge and your arrogant position on it, I have the feeling you will eventually get a very personal education about when and where emergency lights are authorized for use.

I would never want anyone to get hurt... well, maybe one old sergeant of mine (but thats another issue completely), nor would I want anyone to get into an accident. Your intentions as a volunteer are noble, but your attitude and knowledge are a little off.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
mcpd2025 said:
Where did I mention anything about an accident?

I already mentioned we can only be held negligent or sued civilly, both of which would be the result of an accident. I didn't take it to mean you would like to see an article about me saving a kitten?

mcpd2025 said:
I am referring to your poor knowledge about your states emergency vehicle guidelines and laws. With your lack of knowledge and your arrogant position on it, I have the feeling you will eventually get a very personal education about when and where emergency lights are authorized for use.

Actually, my knowledge of the issue is very extensive. So much so, some of my ideas on the matter have been brought up in the state level. Although not important to this.

mcpd2025 said:
I would never want anyone to get hurt... well, maybe one old sergeant of mine (but thats another issue completely), nor would I want anyone to get into an accident. Your intentions as a volunteer are noble, but your attitude and knowledge are a little off.

Eleven years, not a single complaint/accident.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
mjMIff said:
I already mentioned we can only be held negligent or sued civilly, both of which would be the result of an accident. I didn't take it to mean you would like to see an article about me saving a kitten?

Actually, my knowledge of the issue is very extensive. So much so, some of my ideas on the matter have been brought up in the state level. Although not important to this.

Eleven years, not a single complaint/accident.

Ladies, ladies, ladies... You're both pretty!!

jo_ball13

Apr 27, 2011
Wisconsin
The biggest problem I have with people saying the LEO should have connected the dots is that this started in a different fire district than the district Dean is a member of. That and you never know if the car was stolen or if it is someone that has a scanner in the car and realized Brooklyn FD was responding and thought if they pulled into the station that the LEO would disregard and they would be off the hook.

rsmartin

Aug 17, 2011
Stamford NY
Looks like a bad timing, shit hits the fan kinda situation. If the PD had not been been looking for somebody playing LEO wannabe that night Gilbertson probably wouldn't have given Dean a second glance. Looked like he might have had the hammer down a little too far on the straights, but drove through the "side street" area very well.

I'm in a courtesy light state and I have pulled over, as required, for a LEO going to the same call, suicide attempt, and got an arm waving out the window to keep going. Difference being

A: The Trooper knew who I was and where I was going.

B: Shared dispatch center, county wide. So even if he had not known who I was, he would have at least known where I was going.

C: Local LE is very forgiving about bending the law slightly as long as you keep it on the sane side of stupid. Start taking corners on 2 wheels and all bets are off, unless you only have 2 wheels to begin with :)

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
JPolston said:
All of this said, the blue lights I run aren't just to get to the dept. faster, it's too make sure I can get where I'm going efficiently and safely.

Something which seems to be lost on most people posting here is that the lights are a WARNING device, not a GET-OUT-OF-THE-WAY device.

When I see reds or blues or even just ambers going on a moving vehicle, my first assumption is that whoever it is is probably distracted by whatever they are responding to, and give them extra clearance.

I've seen troopers running 100+ MPH, Code 3, while typing or scrolling on their MDTs. Assuming that they're not stupid, I figure they have a good reason to be looking at the computer and I try NOT to be a reason that they should be looking at traffic.

I would also point out that if everyone pulls over when an EV behind them has lights and siren going, it will take a week to get to a call, and imagine the amusement during the typical goat-rope pursuit! Dunno about anywhere else, but around here the assumption is that an EV behind you is also responding to the same call. You don't pull over unless you know that they need to get there ahead of you.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
SoloRTP said:
I've seen troopers running 100+ MPH, Code 3, while typing or scrolling on their MDTs. Assuming that they're not stupid
I stopped your qoute right there. Your comment is counter intuitive. There is ZERO reason I can think of to look at anything but the road when driving 100 MPH. If I HAVE to read something, I can slow down. At 100 MPH, you are traveling almost 150 feet PER SECOND. With a 1.5 second average reaction time, that is 225 feet traveled before you hit the brakes. To stop... figure you add at least another 200 feet. Now its over 400 feet til you can stop... ***IF*** you see the obstacle immediately. That distance traveled is a lot longer if you aren't even looking...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
mcpd2025 said:
I stopped your qoute right there. Your comment is counter intuitive. There is ZERO reason I can think of to look at anything but the road when driving 100 MPH. If I HAVE to read something, I can slow down. At 100 MPH, you are traveling almost 150 feet PER SECOND. With a 1.5 second average reaction time, that is 225 feet traveled before you hit the brakes. To stop... figure you add at least another 200 feet. Now its over 400 feet til you can stop... ***IF*** you see the obstacle immediately. That distance traveled is a lot longer if you aren't even looking...

MCPD, from your posts here and elsewhere in the forum, I find you to be a respectable and well educated LEO. You seem to be an example for others to follow. You admit to past mistakes and offer them as learning experiences to junior officers. Sadly, not all officers are as aware as you and Solo's example may not apply to you but very well could and does apply to others. I have personally witnessed an officer traveling at ~75MPH on a limited access divided highway who was actively engaged in a game of solitare on his MDT while driving. We hope and pray that examples of this nature are few and far between but they DO happen.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.