Update, went with lightbar customization

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I am picking up a 97 crew cab Internaional 4700 flat bed on Monday - will be pulling a 48' trailer and will occasionally have to sit in the street getting loads of cars, freight, etc.

So......

I want to put some amber on it. I am thinking spinners on the corners of the headache rack on the front of the flatbed - either dual Highlighters, Turbobeams, or simple model 14's. I am familiar with the functions and price points on Highlighters and 14's, never seen a Turbobeams.

Also curious if Highlighters and Turbobeams are available with split speed models, meaning everything I have found are either dual 95 fpm motors or dual 175 fpm motors. Can you get a single light with one of each or would it be easier and more cost efficient to order one @ 95 and one @ 175 and then just swap a motor in each?

Also, if you sell these, pm me a price for a pair. Think I will go with clear lenses and amber filters in one and amber/green in the other.

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_8161ed19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
If you want dual minibars with various speed rotators, I say order 1 dual 95 FPM HighLighter and 1 dual 175 FPM HighLighter and swap around. You don't have to unbolt the motors from the rotators, just unscrew the rotator assemblies themselves from the base of the minibars, switch around what you want, re-mount, and now you've got various speed HighLighters. In my personal opinion, the slower the flash rate, the more dwell-time the rotator has to warn others, so dual 95 FPM ones would do the job just fine. You could always get a full-size amber lightbar too. ELB member Bluelightandabat has some amber lightbars that he's been trying to sell for a while. Check it out if interested (just a friendly suggestion ;) ): http://elightbars.org/forums/f19/everything-must-go-11794/

As for adding a green with amber....ehh, not sure on that one :confused: . Best to just stay amber if you're doing vehicle and freight hauling.

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
I too think green would draw unwanted attention for you. You'd be better off doing a Amber/Red like AZ DOT. That is if red to the rear is legal for you.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
WS224 said:
will occasionally have to sit in the street getting loads of cars, freight, etc.
If that is the extent of your duties the vehicle is already equipped with sufficient warning lights for this purpose - commonly known as four ways. Twin minibars with amber AND green? Whackerism.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Theres really no difference. the turbobeam plus (raised base) uses the same rotators as the highlighter, just a more aerodynamic shape. the flush base turbobeam uses vector reflectors, simply cropped down highlighter/streehawk/aerohawk rotators. The original turbobeam had massive square (16 square inch) parabolic reflectors that blew both away!

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Solvarex said:
If that is the extent of your duties the vehicle is already equipped with sufficient warning lights for this purpose - commonly known as four ways. Twin minibars with amber AND green? Whackerism.

Yeah......isn't that kinda the point of the entire site?

So, a truck towing a single car, aka wrecker, a full size lightbar is appropriate. A bigger truck pulling a 48' trailer with 3-4 cars with any "be cautious around me" lighting is inappropriate? Just asking.....

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
If you want green in the Highlighter, the filters are very hard to find. They are not made anymore, so used or NOS is the only way to go. You might be off picking another bar if you go that route.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
rwo978 said:
If you want green in the Highlighter, the filters are very hard to find. They are not made anymore, so used or NOS is the only way to go. You might be off picking another bar if you go that route.

Thanks for the info. Amber is fine, just thought green would mix it up a lil, and it isn't nearly as regulated as red and blue. I am kinda leaning towards the 14's anyway. Think they would be sufficient.

So new question - can 14's be ordered with a spin direction? I would rather they spin opposite than in the same direction. I guess the same question on the others as well.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
WS224 said:
So new question - can 14's be ordered with a spin direction? I would rather they spin opposite than in the same direction. I guess the same question on the others as well.

I don't think you can from factory, but the simple trick is to switch the polarity around on JUST the motor. So say you get a couple of 14s and they both rotate the same direction. Take one beacon an disconnect the motor's leads from the power source and ground, then put the positive lead of the motor to ground, and the negative lead of the motor to positive. Voila, you now have an opposite rotating 14!

14motorhelp.png

Are you getting the current version of the 14 made today or do you have a lead on an older pair? The older 14s will have a bigger motors since the current ones use the small, regular motors like in lightbars. I'm not sure if you can reverse polarity on the older 14 motors.

Another suggestion if you want sealed beams, this ebay seller has a bunch of these for a real good price a piece. You'd get a vintage look on your truck and meets your need for 360 degree warning :thumbsup: ! MARS, TRI - LITE, ROTATING AMBER 2 BULB WARNING LIGHT, 12volt NEW | eBay

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
CrownVic97 said:
I don't think you can from factory, but the simple trick is to switch the polarity around on JUST the motor. So say you get a couple of 14s and they both rotate the same direction. Take one beacon an disconnect the motor's leads from the power source and ground, then put the positive lead of the motor to ground, and the negative lead of the motor to positive. Voila, you now have an opposite rotating 14!
View attachment 23925

Are you getting the current version of the 14 made today or do you have a lead on an older pair? The older 14s will have a bigger motors since the current ones use the small, regular motors like in lightbars. I'm not sure if you can reverse polarity on the older 14 motors.

Another suggestion if you want sealed beams, this ebay seller has a bunch of these for a real good price a piece. You'd get a vintage look on your truck and meets your need for 360 degree warning :thumbsup: ! MARS, TRI - LITE, ROTATING AMBER 2 BULB WARNING LIGHT, 12volt NEW | eBay

Thanks for the info and the lead on the Mars lights!! I had always heard you could reverse the polarity on the motors, but never tried it.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
You bet, WS224. Good luck in your install!

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas

I know you've probably made up your mind, but my vote for something that big is still a full size amber/clear bar.

I say a big 'ol Force 4 XL!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
You'll do great with a pair of FS 14's, but it's pretty much always better to use a colored outer dome than a clear outer dome with colored filters.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Instead of Model 14s, I'd go with 2 Model 100s. Same size as the 14s, same rotators as the Highlighter, and much brighter than the sealed beams in tha 14s.

A bonus, is they also cost less!

Dan

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
dg0223 said:

I know you've probably made up your mind, but my vote for something that big is still a full size amber/clear bar.

I say a big 'ol Force 4 XL!

It's funny you say that. It caused me to recall that I have (2) Force 4 mini XL bars in my garage!! Only problem is they are both red. Do I even wanna know what amber domes are gonna cost?

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I'm certain someone on the board would be able to help you out with a pair of amber mini XL domes. You may even be able to do a little horse trading on the board, since there may be someone out there looking for some red mini XL domes.

The two Mini XL's would look good on that rig. I say run it up the flag pole and see if anybody replies.

Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey USA
id say 2 amber whelen guardians, they seem to be one of the brightest halogen mini bars ive seen( correct me if im wrong may just be personal opinion). I think 2 of them would look good and get the job done. Just my 2cents.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
You say you're pulling a trailer. Will it be high enough to block the lights if mounted to the headache rack? If so, I'd suggest mirror mounting two amber Sentrys on the cab instead. If you'll be pulling a flatbed trailer with low cargo, I'd still go with the 2 Sentrys on the ends of the headache rack. Much easier to relamp that any of the minibars listed, also easier than the 100/14. And bulbs are much cheaper than the 14. The 14 does have the advantage over any of the other lights, in that the beam pattern is much wider vertically and warns traffic better when mounted high up on a truck.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Just an FYI on the Mars Beacons. I wouldnt use them for anything other than display or show. I recently order two of them both arrived pretty well wrecked. upon inspection one had an elastic type band holding the sealed beam in place, the other had a wire holder. Both sounded horrible when powered up ( my garbage disposer runs quieter) and the Twist lock domes cause the motors to stop turning when tightened down. They are both on the way back to the seller right now. Very disappointed in the light. With the heat off the sealed beams I cant see the elastic bulb holder lasting very long at all........Go with the Federal.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
did someone really suggest 4 way flashers? :weird:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Hoser said:
Just an FYI on the Mars Beacons. I wouldnt use them for anything other than display or show. I recently order two of them both arrived pretty well wrecked. upon inspection one had an elastic type band holding the sealed beam in place, the other had a wire holder. Both sounded horrible when powered up ( my garbage disposer runs quieter) and the Twist lock domes cause the motors to stop turning when tightened down. They are both on the way back to the seller right now. Very disappointed in the light. With the heat off the sealed beams I cant see the elastic bulb holder lasting very long at all........Go with the Federal.

Well....that sucks:(. Okay, then disregard that post for eBay on those Mars beacons. Good thing you chimed in here on those, Hoser. Shamful for the seller to not be honest or even making sure all the lights work properly or had defects.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
I would go with the either 1 or 2 FS 14's on the headache rack, but that is just me. Can't beat the 14 as a sealed beam rotating light. Great warning and a classic look.

Chris

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Kudos to OP on wanting to put appropriate lights on this vehicle instead of sticking 300 tiny split flash LEDs on a service vehicle.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
JohnMarcson said:
Kudos to OP on wanting to put appropriate lights on this vehicle instead of sticking 300 tiny split flash LEDs on a service vehicle.

yeah really!!! +1

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I scratched the original idea of going with Model 14's or highlighters altogether because I got a great deal on a refurbed LP6000 - including new lenses. It was a solid bar when I got it with (4) standard rotators and rear work lights in the (2) center sections.

When I got it, I chopped it in half, rewired both sides, and made them both identical. They now have standard speed outer and middle rotators, fast inner rotators, front marker lights, and rear facing STT lights. I also put a rear facing Whelen Pioneer II as a rear work light.

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_IMG_1943.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_IMG_1942.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_100_0659.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That build actually looks pretty nice. I'd scrap the green..... it's just confusing to people, or it will be washed out.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I agree with John. Swap the green out in favor of some more amber, or leave them white/clear.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Yeah, I may just change them to white. Of coarse then I will have to hear everyone say, "Aggghhhhhh! No white to the rear...."

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I've never been against white to the rear, unlike a lot of other regular lightbar enthusiasts. I think amber/clear is a good, bright combination.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
White to the rear may be illegal, depending on the area. The reason people "dislike" it is because it's distracting. It's considered a "clearing the right of way color" by NFPA. The idea of this build is a general caution setup, it was going to be single beacons to start with. Nothing about this build requires a color or light type that is considered for "clearing the right of way".

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
JohnMarcson said:
White to the rear may be illegal, depending on the area. The reason people "dislike" it is because it's distracting. It's considered a "clearing the right of way color" by NFPA. The idea of this build is a general caution setup, it was going to be single beacons to start with. Nothing about this build requires a color or light type that is considered for "clearing the right of way".

This is true. Bear in mind however, that I really couldn't care less about how the NFPA would feel about this or much else. I can say this about it, I am not spending any more money on the project, so they will be green or white.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Although I doubt he'll ever see it, this is why I didn't take the advice of "4 way flashers". Had to go into opposing lanes and even off road and around poles to get under or around some wires.

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_4700004.jpg

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
WS224 said:
Although I doubt he'll ever see it, this is why I didn't take the advice of "4 way flashers". Had to go into opposing lanes and even off road and around poles to get under or around some wires.

Oversize load? yes by all means and please put a 360* amber on rear of trailer. you said cars in the first post and for that 4 ways work.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
WS224 said:
will be pulling a 48' trailer and will occasionally have to sit in the street getting loads of cars, freight, etc.
This would fall under etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.