Wanted wanted Small inexpensive mechanical siren

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I am curious to see if anyone has a small, inexpensive mechanical 12 volt DC siren. I want to put it on my golf cart just for the heck of it.
Please don't point me to the tiny little plastic ones on amazon that cost 20 bucks!

what you got?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I am curious to see if anyone has a small, inexpensive mechanical 12 volt DC siren. I want to put it on my golf cart just for the heck of it.
Please don't point me to the tiny little plastic ones on amazon that cost 20 bucks!

what you got?

I used one of these on a golf cart first aid cart a few years ago, it wasn't bad for the price and the volume is perfect for the application. It was made by TriLite and available direct from them but it's cheaper rebranded as Darley.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I used one of these on a golf cart first aid cart a few years ago, it wasn't bad for the price and the volume is perfect for the application. It was made by TriLite and available direct from them but it's cheaper rebranded as Darley.

thanks John. i've seen those before, and considered buying one

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
thanks John. i've seen those before, and considered buying one
They aren't nearly enough for a full sized car or truck, but for $90 they are great on ATV side by sides and golf carts. They are actually decently well built. Just make sure you use a properly rated solenoid or relay, they draw about 15 or 20 amps at wind up. The other fun thing to do on golf carts is buy two different tone electric horns at napa or autozone and wire them to alternate. It is like Euro high lows for golf carts.

Reactions: Dave F

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
They aren't nearly enough for a full sized car or truck, but for $90 they are great on ATV side by sides and golf carts. They are actually decently well built. Just make sure you use a properly rated solenoid or relay, they draw about 15 or 20 amps at wind up. The other fun thing to do on golf carts is buy two different tone electric horns at napa or autozone and wire them to alternate. It is like Euro high lows for golf carts.

Hey John, I want to thank you for reminding me of that simple, inexpensive trick. Years ago, many of us wired 537 wagner flashers between the high and low tone factory horns on our vehicles as a cheap warning system. I had totally forgotten

A trip to Harbor Freight and Carquest later, at a total cost of less than $30, my golf cart has a very effective Hi-Lo horn system that serves the purpose really nicely.

Very good suggestion

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.