WARTBURG, Tenn — Captain Ralph Braden

jetstream1

Nov 17, 2010
IN
WARTBURG, Tenn — Captain Ralph Braden succumbed to injuries sustained 10 days earlier while attempting to arrest a male subject at the scene of a domestic dispute.

He was seriously injured while struggling with the subject after the man attempted to escape out of a window. The subject was able to flee the scene but was arrested 14 hours later.

Captain Braden was transported to a local hospital where he remained in ICU until succumbing to the injuries.

The subject is facing charges in connection with Captain Braden's murder.

Captain Braden had served with the Wartburg Police Department for 22 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 29, 2010
Luminary-Frostbite,TN
Not sure if I should chime in on this, as I do believe the suspects actions led to his death, but the suspect is being charged with assault, not murder at this time. Full story with video: Family of officer believes suspect should be charged in his death | wbir.com

Text excerpt below:

The death of a Wartburg Police Officer more than a week after he was involved in a fight with a domestic violence suspect may now be investigated as a murder, according to Wartburg Police Chief Teddy Bales.

Captain Ralph Braden died Monday evening at Oak Ridge Methodist Medical Center.

On April 22, Braden was answering a domestic violence disturbance call at Sunnyside Estates close to midnight. He got in a fight with Eddie Patterson as he tried to flee the scene. Braden had a dislocated shoulder, and was treated and released from the hospital. The next morning, his wife was unable to wake him and he was taken back to the hospital where it was discovered he had a blood clot in his lung. He died Monday evening.

"I do believe that if the altercation had not happened to my father that this wouldn't have happened the way it did. He was dedicated. He didn't deserve, he laid over there almost nine days fighting for his life," said Braden's son, Michael Braden.

District Attorney General Russell Johnson said to upgrade the charges against Patterson, he must prove with a "reasonable degree of certainty" that the fight with Patterson caused the blood clot that led to Braden's death. He will take the case before a grand jury on May 16.

The entire Wartburg community is in shock over Captain Braden's death. His family said he was a dedicated husband, father, brother, and grandfather.

"He not only raised me and my brother, but he's helped me raise my two children, and he raised his whole family. His dad passed away when he was 13 years-old. He went to work full time. He was the oldest to raise everybody. It's a terrible loss," said Michael Braden.

"It's a really devastating loss. Ralph was not only a model officer, model employee, he's just a good man," said Wartburg Mayor Joey Williams.

Morgan County Sheriff Glen Freytag released the following statement about the death of Captain Braden:

Captain Ralph Braden of the Wartburg Police Department passed away on May 2, 2011. Captain Braden will be missed greatly by the community where he lived and served. I had the honors of working with Captain Braden for the past 20 years. He was a great friend and fellow officer. In any situation you could count on Captain Braden lending his assistance. He was always ready and prepared to serve and protect his community.

Captain Braden was a great asset to the Wartburg Police Department and the community where he served. He was always willing to assist any agency that needed his help. We were fortunate to have Captain Braden as part of our team and he will be greatly missed by his fellow officers and the community.

Patterson was charged with aggravated assault on a police office, assault on a police officer, fleeing, evading, and domestic assault. He is currently in jail.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, May 7, at 11am at Central Middle School in Wartburg. Family will receive friends and family from 5pm to 9pm on Friday, May 6, also at Central Middle School.

A fund has been set up at Citizen's First Bank in Wartburg for Braden's family to help with funeral expenses.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.