What is this light pattern

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
What is this patturn on this ambulance ide love to figure it out it's got all whelen lights and siren but no idea what patturn it is look at the link below to see the clip may not be the best but I hope you get an idea it's something like a modified triple flash or something

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I'll call it Fred.

Smartassery aside, I wonder if it is semi-custom via a Cantrol/WeCan/etc type program?
I figured you would name it George lol

This is what I'm wondering I got a liberty wecan i/o board with control point I want to control my parameter lights with and ide like this patturn so I'm trying to figure out how to get this patturn on my i/o board

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Da-Sarge: I looked at every pattern in Whelen's "Command" and found nothing that quite fits what your video illustrates.

On one hand, it looks kind of like, "CA Double Flash 90", "Single Flash60", and "Double Flash 90" moshed up together but there's no wau I know of in "Command" to construct composite patterns like that.

So I tried to "roll-my-own" pattern based on what I thought I saw in your video. This was kind of confusing because the video seems to just show a really bright red lamp flashing and its anything but clear as to what other light heads are doing.

I focused on just replicating what I thought the red head was doing...then I spread out to the opposite side (the alternating 180 degree phase). That was when it dawned on me that I do believe your clip is illustrating a very customized "Flim Flam" pattern.

Here's my attempt to replicate "fred":

Ironically, this works as long as I don't connect my lightbar to a Whelen Control point or Sapphire. If I do, they both recognize the lightbar doesn't have the expected timing/patterns and in response, just reprogram them (obliterating "Fred").

So the the only way I can see to make your vision work, is to use a "WCC" controller (expensive! at around $190.00 USD) because it's "dumb" enough not to change the timing/patterns in the lightbar...it just assumes they're "stock' (PM me and make arrangements if you'd like to have this "fred" fried onto your a Liberty board such that no matter what switch setting you were to select on a "WCC", it would always flash "fred")

Side note: It would be wicked cool if Whelen open-sourced their timing/pattern development tools.

In any case, thanks for pointing to this really interesting pattern. This comes within inches of:

I dig patterns :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony P

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Da-Sarge: I looked at every pattern in Whelen's "Command" and found nothing that quite fits what your video illustrates.

On one hand, it looks kind of like, "CA Double Flash 90", "Single Flash60", and "Double Flash 90" moshed up together but there's no wau I know of in "Command" to construct composite patterns like that.

So I tried to "roll-my-own" pattern based on what I thought I saw in your video. This was kind of confusing because the video seems to just show a really bright red lamp flashing and its anything but clear as to what other light heads are doing.

I focused on just replicating what I thought the red head was doing...then I spread out to the opposite side (the alternating 180 degree phase). That was when it dawned on me that I do believe your clip is illustrating a very customized "Flim Flam" pattern.

Here's my attempt to replicate "fred":

Ironically, this works as long as I don't connect my lightbar to a Whelen Control point or Sapphire. If I do, they both recognize the lightbar doesn't have the expected timing/patterns and in response, just reprogram them (obliterating "Fred").

So the the only way I can see to make your vision work, is to use a "WCC" controller (expensive! at around $190.00 USD) because it's "dumb" enough not to change the timing/patterns in the lightbar...it just assumes they're "stock' (PM me and make arrangements if you'd like to have this "fred" fried onto your a Liberty board such that no matter what switch setting you were to select on a "WCC", it would always flash "fred")

Side note: It would be wicked cool if Whelen open-sourced their timing/pattern development tools.

In any case, thanks for pointing to this really interesting pattern. This comes within inches of:

I dig patterns :)
You basically got the patturn dead on it flashes all red and then shifts to white heads all I got is a standard wecan control point for the liberty board any clues how to get "fred" onto that control point? I do intend to use cruis on some of the heads but ya you pretty much have it :)

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
You basically got the patturn dead on it flashes all red and then shifts to white heads all I got is a standard wecan control point for the liberty board any clues how to get "fred" onto that control point? I do intend to use cruis on some of the heads but ya you pretty much have it :)
Sorry, Da-Sarge -- I can't (and won't -- and we shouldn't ) mess with the Control Point (or Sapphire) -- As a fellow enthusiast, I hope you understand.

Control-Point and Sapphire are programmed from software under Whelen's license agreement and we have to abide by those terms.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Sorry, Da-Sarge -- I can't (and won't -- and we shouldn't ) mess with the Control Point (or Sapphire) -- As a fellow enthusiast, I hope you understand.

Control-Point and Sapphire are programmed from software under Whelen's license agreement and we have to abide by those terms.
So how do I do this patturn that can be controlled by the sappires outputs (not the wecan port) its not much point to run 2 controllers lol I would like to figure out how to run this but that WCC has not got any inputs for vehicle inputs does it? Or have any analog outputs to trigger the sappires inputs to do its thing?

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
So how do I do this patturn that can be controlled by the sappires outputs (not the wecan port) its not much point to run 2 controllers lol I would like to figure out how to run this but that WCC has not got any inputs for vehicle inputs does it? Or have any analog outputs to trigger the sappires inputs to do its thing?
And would you have a spare one on hand to sell to load this patturn on?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidey1234

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.